Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My thoughts on Season 4

• 01-04-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Season 4 is approaching fast (many of us will have it this Saturday) - I thought I'd make a thread about some of the thoughts that I have had about this series:

First of all, I honestly think this is the best Sci-Fi show I've ever watched. There is so much depth to the characters, so many twists, so much action and I never thought I'd be able to watch Sci-Fi and say "you know what that's pretty realistic."

For example, I absolutely adore the fact that after a a battle, the Galactica will have the scars of battle indented on her hull for the rest of the series. Have you seen before/after images of New Caprica?

There's no lasers! No time travel! No mad space aliens! No super unbelievable technology (even FTL Jumps are thought to be theoretically possible).

Now, I see a lot of people complaining at the fact that this is the last series and that the Writers of BSG are idiots for ending the show when it's so good. I, on the other hand think this is an excellent idea.
    Stargate SG-1, which was a show watched for years, should have ended after it's 7th year.
    After that point, the characters got boring, the stories became repetitive and the whole series became dull.
    I think that it's great that Galactica is ending on a high note. BSG is coming to a conclusion when it is still good, and in a way this is going to give a lot more closure to the series.

The only thing I'm pretty pissed at though, is the whole waiting until 2009 to get the finale of this season. That is going to be a complete kick in the nuts!

Anyway, what are your personal thoughts on the series and what do you think of Season 4?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Stargate SG-1, which was a show watched for years, should have ended after it's 7th year.

Well.....I've just started S3 of SG1. Lovin' it. Didn't really get into it before. Glad to hear I've another 4 solid seasons to go. :)

As for BSG.....S3 was a bit of a let down for me, though I'm still looking forward to S4. I still consider the miniseries to be the best sci-fi I've ever seen. Ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Seeing as Season 4 is approaching fast (many of us will have it this Saturday) - I thought I'd make a thread about some of the thoughts that I have had about this series:

First of all, I honestly think this is the best Sci-Fi show I've ever watched. There is so much depth to the characters, so many twists, so much action and I never thought I'd be able to watch Sci-Fi and say "you know what that's pretty realistic."

For example, I absolutely adore the fact that after a a battle, the Galactica will have the scars of battle indented on her hull for the rest of the series. Have you seen before/after images of New Caprica?

There's no lasers! No time travel! No mad space aliens! No super unbelievable technology (even FTL Jumps are thought to be theoretically possible).

Now, I see a lot of people complaining at the fact that this is the last series and that the Writers of BSG are idiots for ending the show when it's so good. I, on the other hand think this is an excellent idea.
    After that point, the characters got boring, the stories became repetitive and the whole series became dull.
    I think that it's great that Galactica is ending on a high note. BSG is coming to a conclusion when it is still good, and in a way this is going to give a lot more closure to the series.

The only thing I'm pretty pissed at though, is the whole waiting until 2009 to get the finale of this season. That is going to be a complete kick in the nuts!

Anyway, what are your personal thoughts on the series and what do you think of Season 4?

it is not confirmed on whether or not that the final episodes on season 4 will be continious, start in sept or 2009 dude;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd have to agree with the OP. Battlestar is the best Sci-fi program i have ever seen. As a die hard DS9 fan-boy, its hard to admit it, but i think the overall quality of BSG is better then anything else i've seen. The characters are more real, they have real flaws. I feel more for the characters then i have most tv series, not just sci-fi series. Not to mention the amazing special effects, amazing writing, amazing soundtracks.

While i will miss it once its gone, if season 4 is as good as i know its going to be, Battlestar will be one of my all time favourite show. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

+ 1 Also a massive DS9 Fan, anyone watch the special last week where other famous people said how much they love it? Joss (Buffy/Firefly) said that if he or his wife watches a new episode without the other its grounds for divorse.

I was going to start a topic myself considering its been over a year since we last had a new episode (not counting razor)

Only a few days left now i cant fookin wait. So many things could happen no ider and i cant wait to see how it all plays out.

BSG has raised the bar of scifi to such a level i wonder how long it will take for something better to come along? If there ever is anything better How well do you think BSG will age? look at TNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

All the things that make sci-fi great. :D Each to their own tastes.

I loved the first three seasons, very good show. Hope they finish it strongly.

Khannie - lucky you, SG1 is really great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, all the fanboys are back again. Must be time for another frakking season :)

Its hard to say if its the Best I have ever seen. I dont know. It may just be. But I also have to consider DS9 and Firefly, SG-1 and Atlantis, TNG Voyager and Heroes down at the bottom of the trough..

I agree though about SG-1: it had an ok 8th season but really thats when you begin to take more of a shine to Atlantis. DS9 did the best Final Season I've yet to see, and Firefly was just so wonderfully in a class of its own. Then that other stuff that was amusing for a while or turned boring. *cough.

Yea, BSG is pretty ****ing awesome alright. It only takes watching the miniseries/TV Movie again and episodes like the Hand of God and youre stuck into it.

I really hope that they deliver with this final season and leave us something to remember. Season 3 did not live up to the pace that I was looking for so I'd like to see a reversal on that.

Khannie: I hate you.

Season 3 Spoilers inside:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

OMFG IT'S BACK THIS WEEK!!! :eek:

Certainly one of the best sci-fi shows in the history of forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Khannie wrote: »
    As for BSG.....S3 was a bit of a let down for me, though I'm still looking forward to S4.

I've just re-watched the 3rd series and it was a lot better the 2nd time round. Really looking forward to season 4 now. Roll on Sah-ur-day, early AM too.

A few people I know who watched the Season 3 episodes back-to-back didn't think there was anything wrong with them at all.

Makes a difference sometimes when you're waiting at least a week for the follow up. If I had any sort of willpower I might even wait until there's some backlog to get through before launching into Season 4. But I don't, so I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

omg omg, its nearly time \o/

Sat morn can't come soon enough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Goodshape wrote: »
    A few people I know who watched the Season 3 episodes back-to-back didn't think there was anything wrong with them at all.

Makes a difference sometimes when you're waiting at least a week for the follow up. If I had any sort of willpower I might even wait until there's some backlog to get through before launching into Season 4. But I don't, so I won't.

with this in mind i think im going to refrain from watching for a while

Blasphemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

User45701 wrote: »
    + 1 Also a massive DS9 Fan, anyone watch the special last week where other famous people said how much they love it? Joss (Buffy/Firefly) said that if he or his wife watches a new episode without the other its grounds for divorse.

I demand a link for this entertainment for my amusement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I thought S3 was just what it needed to be. Yup it was drawn out, there wasn't much action and pretty much every main character emotionally and morally imploded. But considering their situation, so many lost since the initial exodus, the desperate conditions they had lived in for years it made sense. As much as it might not have been the most entertaining season it was honest and realistic, something we all love about the show, though we may not always love where that takes the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I thought I made talking about Stargate a lifetime bannable offence :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Season three started off great and then went way down hill before picking up nicely towards the end. The dilema of the week episodes didn't wash (no fuel one week, sick crew members the next etc) - even if the characters were busy morally imploding.

User45701 wrote: »
    How well do you think BSG will age? look at TNG.

I think TNG has aged quite well. Season 1 is a bit hillarious looking, granted, but from season 2 onwards it looks pretty decent IMO (I've been watching TNG recently....I watch a lot of sci-fi on the PSP because of my commute; my train journey in is about the length of an average sci-fi show).
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Khannie - lucky you, SG1 is really great.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Khannie: I hate you.

:D Hehe. I'm eating it up. Made it through all of season 2 on a recent holiday and have stopped watching TNG at season 5 because of it.

Still can't quite bring myself to watch DS9.

Actually just got hold of DS9 and have started to watch that in-sequence. To be honest, it was never really a Trek that I paid too much attention to... but only a few episodes in now and really enjoying it so far.

And TNG has aged just fine :P. It's "of it's time" but there's nothing wrong with that... still a great show to watch. As is TOS.

The first season(or 2) of TNG look dated tbh. I have DS9 and it'll be watched soon. Just holding it over till I get the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

3 episodes in and after a promising start I am slowly losing my appetite for the show.
    It just isnt as good as it used to be.
    The ending of season 3 has forever affected my opinion of this show - I like it, and I'll see it through to the end, but it's no longer "must see" TV any more for me.
    The whole revelation of 4 of the final 5 was utterly ridiculous and jumping the shark.
    I'm afraid this season looks like it's going the same way as the last for me... too much of a soap opera, I prefer my sci-fi with a bit more sci-fi.
    I'm sick of Starbuck and Lee Adama and their schoolyard childishness.
    Alot of the primary characters have just become caricatures of themselves.
    Adama Snr now is a shadow of his former self.
    Too many interesting characters are given too little screen time (Zarek) while other characters (Lee Adama,Starbuck,Tyrol) have no more development left and are becoming tedious .
    I dont give a damn who the final cylon is at this stage ,it was an interesting concept but the last episode of series 3 ruined that .
    I guess the show set itself such high benchmarks with the first 2 and a half series which were superb tv.
    Hopefully things will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Came to BSG in season 4 having not seen any of the previous episodes and a bit disapointed. This whole religious disturbance story is rightly poor. The whole political battle in the boardroom is yawn. The guy with the eyepatch trying to get forgiveness is snore. The only ray of light is the sewage ship on the way to the black hole or whatever it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Do yourself a favour and start at the beginning. If its not too late.
    IMHO it's a really excellent tv show.
    Obviously not every ep can be suberb. So far season 4 has not been great but I am hoping that it will get into gear soon

tbh he has ruined it for himself starting in season 4, he now know things he shouldent, what a pitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

BSG is based on its massive characters and story arcs. I'm surprised you have any idea whats going on at all, I wouldn't.

Stop now and go back to the start and hopefully you wont remember anything you saw from S4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kmick wrote: »
    Came to BSG in season 4 having not seen any of the previous episodes and a bit disapointed. This whole religious disturbance story is rightly poor. The whole political battle in the boardroom is yawn. The guy with the eyepatch trying to get forgiveness is snore. The only ray of light is the sewage ship on the way to the black hole or whatever it is.

idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

wow, you have really really ruined battlestar beyond any repair for yourself. Congratualtions.

Also, black hole? This isnt farscape ;)

Didnt expect the abuse so much. Its still pretty poor but Im sticking with it. The last episode was snoresville - nothing happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didnt expect the abuse so much. Its still pretty poor but Im sticking with it. The last episode was snoresville - nothing happened.
    In fairness, while the insults might be a tad uncalled for, you really arent doing the show justice. Having not watched any of the previous seasons, are you surprised that you dont feel for the "guy with the eyepatch"? Or the "yawn" inducing political battle? The people who have watched it (i.e. most of us) feel for the characters, and like to see the continuing character developments, and will continue to watch one of the best written, acted and directed shows (not just sci-fi) on television.

And that "guy with the eyepatch" is one of the best written characters on tv at the moment. Saul Tigh deserves our respect :p Also, black hole? You obvioulsy didnt pay much attention to the few episodes you've seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ftlog go back and watch it from the start, stop ruining it for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Bear McCreary is the composer of the music on the show, and his blog said
    While each episode is exciting on its own, the first quarter of Season 4 is essentially laying the groundwork for bigger events down the line. As a result, Escape Velocity is a bit of an odd episode. So much of it is setting up future storylines that the episode itself is paced slower and more deliberately than most.

So if it's slower than usual now, it's only getting ready for big events later.

well we can assume it will have to move very fast considering there is currently 15 odd episodes left :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The first season(or 2) of TNG look dated tbh. I have DS9 and it'll be watched soon. Just holding it over till I get the time.

Nearly finished the 3rd season in DS9. TBH on a 2nd viewing it probably holds up better than TNG, much more together and closer to BSG in it's continous story arcs.

Kiith wrote: »
    In fairness, while the insults might be a tad uncalled for, you really arent doing the show justice. Having not watched any of the previous seasons, are you surprised that you dont feel for the "guy with the eyepatch"? Or the "yawn" inducing political battle? The people who have watched it (i.e. most of us) feel for the characters, and like to see the continuing character developments, and will continue to watch one of the best written, acted and directed shows (not just sci-fi) on television.

And that "guy with the eyepatch" is one of the best written characters on tv at the moment. Saul Tigh deserves our respect :p Also, black hole? You obvioulsy didnt pay much attention to the few episodes you've seen...

To be honest I disagree. My problem is not 'feeling' for the characters it is the non-dimensional and flat storyline I am seeing each week. I am sure I will end up watching the show in its entirety again but for now Im not going to stop watching just because I have not seen the back episodes. I did watch Razor without having seen anything else and thought it was awesome. What Im watching at the moment is not even 1/10 as good.

Just go back and watch the miniseries. Honestly, you are absolutely RUINING it for yourself. I'm sure season 4 is a total snore-fest if you have no background leading into it. I don't think anyone on here would deny that.

Khannie wrote: »
    Just go back and watch the miniseries. Honestly, you are absolutely RUINING it for yourself. I'm sure season 4 is a total snore-fest if you have no background leading into it. I don't think anyone on here would deny that.

+1

I mean everything that has happened has been building up to it, and not knowing what is going to happen is a good thing, why keep spoiling things for yourself unles you dont plan on giving the show a fair chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I'm a new-comer to it as well. Starting a programme like this at S04E01 is insane!. I know I'm missing a lot of back story references and it would benefit my viewing enjoyment to watch from the start but I just don't have the time to do so.

I'm not finding it as bad as Kmick - in fact I'm quite enjoying it for the most part - I do hope it picks up a bit from here on in though :pac:

The hardest parts for me have been keeping track of which skin-job is which:

'So Helo is the guy married to Boomer?'
    'Well she's Athena, but yeah'
    'Huh?'
    'Shut up a watch the telly'

And I thought the bits with Tigh talking to Six/His Missus dragged a bit - but I'll acknowledge that it's my own fault for that.

The hardest parts for me have been keeping track of which skin-job is which:
    I'm not surprised. You guys are really ruining a good show for yourselves.

I'm not surprised. You guys are really ruining a good show for yourselves.

+1. Honestly, BSG miniseries + S1 + S2 are absolutely, without question, the best TV I've _ever_ seen. Jumping in at Season 4 is absolute _lunacy_.

Ye and it would be some treat for you to watch it all back to back without the horrible gaps in between episodes like the seasson 2 clif hanger (one of the best clifhangers ever)

Advertisement