Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

• 01-04-2008 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday April 1st 2008

19.45 Roma vs Manchester United
    19.45 Schalke vs Barcelona

Wednesday April 2nd 2008

19.45 Arsenal vs Liverpool
    19.45 Fenerbahce vs Chelsea

----

Discuss.

Who is going to go through? 269 votes

Arsenal
    0%
    Liverpool
    6%
    PHBRaskolnikovvorbisHyzepherVillainKingp35patmacditpokerdobsdaveROCKMANBobbyD10patrickcIm_No_SupermanPride FighteroobydoobyCHDL'prof 17 votes
    Chelsea
    20%
    WhiteWashManBarddardozThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfcournionikaimeraNeVeRV9balkieb2002ChongCivilServantFozzyjesus_thats_gregucciStickyMcGintykmart6RE*AC*TORbennyx_o_blank_ 54 votes
    Fenerbache
    20%
    WhiteWashManBardPHBThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfcournioniNeVeRRaskolnikovV9balkieb2002ChongCivilServantvorbisVillainFozzyjesus_thats_gregucciStickyMcGintykmart6RE*AC*TOR 55 votes
    United
    4%
    dardozkaimeraHyzepher_blank_SherifuarbeitsscheuerChardee MacDennisRuskie4Rentpatmacditpokerpatrickcprendy 12 votes
    Roma
    24%
    WhiteWashManBossArkyBarddardozPHBThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfcournionikaimeraNeVeRRaskolnikovV9balkieb2002CivilServantvorbisHyzepherVillainFozzyjesus_thats_gregucci 67 votes
    Barca
    1%
    invincibleirishditpokerThe Queenironingbored 4 votes
    Schalke
    22%
    WhiteWashManBarddardozPHBThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfcournioniNeVeRRaskolnikovV9balkieb2002ChongCivilServantHyzepherVillainFozzyjesus_thats_gregucciStickyMcGintykmart6 60 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well with no Rio Ferdinand and all, I suppose Roma will win 5 - 0. :rolleyes:

Schalke will beat Barcelona if Barcelona don't play intensely for 90 minutes.

Arsenal will beat Liverpool 1 - 0.

Fenerbache will draw with Chelsea and take it to the bridge where Chelsea will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barca
    All intriguing ties, i think Schalke/Barca has the potential to upset going on the Catalans Wobbly performances of late, but still they have the names to overcome Schalke.

Roma V Man Utd. is difficult to call, even without Totti, Roma could do something if Utd. keep up their old habits of stuttering in Europe when they are on top in the PL, just look at Milan last season, but then there was the 7-1, Freak result? lets see

Arsenal/Liverpool Again will we see CL Liverpool against Premiership Arsenal? this tie, with the continuing exploits of Torres, is a lot closer then when first drawn two weeks ago

Fenerbache/Chelsea, seen nothing of Fener, know they have a few handy Brazilians (and Serb wannabee monk and Mourinho Bench warmer Kezman), Chelsea might only scrape a draw, but i like the romance, Fenerbache for the Champions League!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

cheesedude wrote: »
    Well with no Rio Ferdinand and all, I suppose Roma will win 5 - 0.

I like your style.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Schalke
    I can see Fenerbache taking a lead to Stamford Bridge. Chelsea dont travel particularly well in Europe, and Turkey isn't an easy place to go. Chelsea will be happy to leave with an away-goal, I'd say.

I've not seen much of Shalke, but if there's a time to play Barca, it's now. Probably lots of goals in this one.

The other two are hard to call. Roma will miss Totti, and Man Utd will be happy enough with a 0-0. The way they're playing, they could win it though.

Arsenal - Liverpool is a potential snorefest. Liverpool will play a containing game, and Arsenal will want to take a lead to Anfield. Teams could cancel each other out.

Barca should have the firepower to get past Schalke no problem IMO. Schalke's goalkeeper is on fire at the moment though so maybe he could keep them in it.

United will have their toughest trip to Rome yet IMO. I fancy United to go through but it will probably have to be done at OT.

Liverpool Arse...hard to call but Im going with Arse.

Fener vs Chelsea will be closer than people think, I could see Fener winning tonight but with the second leg at the Bridge I dont see anything other than Chelski in the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    Schalke's goal keeper Neuer is actually meant to have been consistently quite bad this season, Ive been talking to some Schalke fans on a Barca forum. They are also missing their creative midfielder Rakitic, who is a Croatian wonderkid apparently.

I can see home wins/ draws in all those games tbh.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Schalke's goal keeper Neuer is actually meant to have been consistently quite bad this season, Ive been talking to some Schalke fans on a Barca forum. They are also missing their creative midfielder Rakitic, who is a Croatian wonderkid apparently.

I can see home wins/ draws in all those games tbh.

He had a wonder game against Porto and looked decent in the 2 or 3 other games Ive seen him in. maybe he's just a big game player?!

EDIT: Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All intriguing ties, i think Schalke/Barca has the potential to upset going on the Catalans Wobbly performances of late, but still they have the names to overcome Schalke.

Roma V Man Utd. is difficult to call, even without Totti, Roma could do something if Utd. keep up their old habits of stuttering in Europe when they are on top in the PL, just look at Milan last season, but then there was the 7-1, Freak result? lets see

If we had anysort of proper and fit defence against Milan I reckon we could have taken them - we were just so weak at the baclk, and our midfield was not much better at the time either. Anyway - we have already beaten Roman once this season, and drawn once too - with a very weak side who could easily have won what was really a nothing match.

I have confidence United can beat Roma tonight, but it will depend on the team put out and the tempo we play at - we need to play a high tempo game, otherwise we will struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Well with it being a cup tie and all it could go any way. I would imagine United and Barcelona would be happy to take a score draw away with them. So i think i'll try a double on 2 draws. Maybe two 1-1 draws.
    Can i ask any United fans here, would you take a 2-1 defeat to Old trafford??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Well with it being a cup tie and all it could go any way. I would imagine United and Barcelona would be happy to take a score draw away with them. So i think i'll try a double on 2 draws. Maybe two 1-1 draws.
    Can i ask any United fans here, would you take a 2-1 defeat to Old trafford??

I'd take a 2-1 defeat over a 1-0 defeat, certainly - but im expecting a draw at worse while hoping we don't have one of the frequent European 'off nights'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Tauren wrote: »
    I'd take a 2-1 defeat over a 1-0 defeat, certainly - but im expecting a draw at worse while hoping we don't have one of the frequent European 'off nights'

Yeah i believe united will get at least a draw but i also think they will most certainly be going for goals. At least i hope that will be the approach. Roma have to do the damage at home because they will know it's gonna be a tough tough ask to get something in OT. This could be a really good game of ball tonight. Lets hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    I'd be very surprised if Fergie went attacking in this game. I'm hopeful, but I'd be surprised. Roma are missed 3 of their best players, in Totti, Pedrotta and Juan.
    United are going to be probably missed Carrick, which means we'll be much less of an attacking force with Hargreaves in the side.
    I think we'll score, and I think Ronaldo will once again perform against Roma winning us the game. He's scored 9 in the last 10 CL games he's played, including that winner against Lisbon, the header against Milan, and the winner at Lyon. The 11th game was the Roma game, so :)

I think Fenerbache Chelsea will be close, wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea go out, just because of Grant, but they really should walk through it. Fenerbaches keeper is just awful.

Barca Schalke, Schalke are playing Barca at the best time, but personally, I think Barca just have too much in them. While Barcas defence is weak, it's as good as Schalkes attack, so they should be able to outscore them.

Liverpool Arsenal, who knows, but I personally think Arsenal will go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Until the teams are announced I'll not guess.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't have the foggiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Roma
    I don't have the foggiest.

Agreed.

First time that I can think of that no result would surprise me. Any team could win, lose or draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Tauren wrote: »
    If we had anysort of proper and fit defence against Milan I reckon we could have taken them - we were just so weak at the baclk, and our midfield was not much better at the time either.

Basically, if it wasn't for your defence and midfield then Milan would have been in trouble??!!

I remember that game, and no 'buts' about it, Milan would have beaten UTD regardless of who was fit. Amazing how memories of the game differ...

Utd to beat Roma overall.
    Barca to struggle but overcome Schalke.
    Arse and pool to be tight, but i thnk Arsenal will just shade it.
    Chelsea to make it through, due to a strong home result.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No idea what's goign to happen.

I think Barca will go through though, chelsea too.
    I'd like a score draw in the man u game tonight and i think they'll win in OT.
    I think Liverpool and Arse will cancel each other out over two legs and it'll be penalties to decide.

Schalke
    ibh wrote: »
    I remember that game, and no 'buts' about it, Milan would have beaten UTD regardless of who was fit. Amazing how memories of the game differ...

If Ferdinand had played, the game would have been completely different. Not saying we would have won, but it would have been much much much much closer. He is the one defender who I think can keep up with Kaka, and that's a huge thing, just like he can keep up with Torres.
    If you remember the goals Milan scored against us, they were due to shambolic defending, utterly terrible, that Kaka with his magic took advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'll go for a Roma win tonight, with the climax back at Old Trafford where anything could happen.

Chelsea should win as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

PHB wrote: »
    If Ferdinand had played, the game would have been completely different. Not saying we would have won, but it would have been much much much much closer. He is the one defender who I think can keep up with Kaka, and that's a huge thing, just like he can keep up with Torres.
    If you remember the goals Milan scored against us, they were due to shambolic defending, utterly terrible, that Kaka with his magic took advantage of.

Ferdinand would have made A difference. I don't think he would have made THE difference. What i was saying is that it was as convincing a win as you will see in the latter stages of the CL. (7-1 against Roma aside!)

I dont really think Ferdinand against Kaka would have been the issue anyway. He doesn't go toe to toe with CB's. And if he's running full tilt at any player from his deep position it won't matter how quick the defender is...

Not much point going over it again. Well in the past..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looking forward to tonight's match in Rome. I worry about Roma even without Totti. Hopefully United can avoid defeat. I'd say it will probably be a draw. Here's hoping there's no trouble either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

So excited about tonights game but very nervous at the same time.

Predicting a score draw, hopefully Ronnie will be on song and Rooney can go on a scoring run. Shame Tevez isn't playing as we do look better with 4-4-2 but as has been said possession is so important in these European games so can understand us going with 5 in the midfield.

COME ON UNITED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

United to score draw tonight, I feel. Totti out is a huge blow for Roma, especially at home.

Arsenal Liverpool to draw too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Schalke
    Expect Barca to do the business. The other game tonight is anyone's guess. Hope it's entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

it hurts me to say it as a Liverpool fan, but i think united are over their 'European Problem' and we'll see a manifestation of that in tonights game as well as the next leg. IMO opinion, and it's just that, they always had the best english/irish/non-continental players as the key men. if you took keane, scholes, giggs out of the united team it would've hurt badly, that shows the style of football they play in a big way. Look at the key play makers being signed now, Ronaldo, Tevez, Nani, Anderson, all skillful Latin types who play a game a million miles away from the lads mentioned above. They've changed the way they play in the premiership to more free-flowing, and a bi-product of that is that they've got the right players and style now to unlock European defenses consistently over 2 legs. I'm going to wash myself now.

Schalke
    Barca starting line up;

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/665/32713418pl0.gi

Not liking the fact they have played Toure in the past 3 games despite him having back problems, he has been Barcas best signing this season, but has looked so laboured when injured which is completely expected. The whole defense has looked terrible lately, would have liked to see Marquez and Sylvinho as some fresh faces. Would like to have played 2DMF's away from home due to how **** the defense has been.

Something like;

VV

Puyol
    Marquez
    Milito
    Sylvinho

Xavi
    Edmilson
    Toure
    Iniesta

Etoo
    Bojan

Schalke's starting lineup;

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9573/28273366su1.gif

Schalke
    Uniteds starting lineup:

VDS
    -Wes--Rio--Vidic--Evra
    ----Carrick-Scholes---
    Ronlado-Anderson-Park
    Rooney

In between attacking and defensive United, Carrick playing for Hargreaves is normally an attacking move, but since Anderson is in for Tevez, its kind of inbetween.

Good to see imo, looks like Fergie wants to win the tie in this leg. Park will add a lot more than Giggs tonight, could see him popping up with a goal to be honest.

I'd have Tevez, and Rooney playing in the hole or on the left with 3 attackers, and play Carrick just ahead of Hargreaves though. Still if Ronaldo is a big game player tonights the time to shine and get the away win despite Fergies tactics.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Woot, Schalke v Barca is on Setanta Ireland tonight. Switchy-switchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Woot, Schalke v Barca is on Setanta Ireland tonight. Switchy-switchy!

Yup, but watching Souness and Chippy on RTE is gold

Schalke
    Ill be rooting for Giuly tonight. Great pace, a bit of a headless chicken, and not a good finisher. But Ill always love him for that goal against Milan!

Where's Dunphy? Its not the same.

Henry up front for Barca.

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Happy to see carrick starting, big weight on the wingers tonight to track back, should be a free flowing match all in all. Til afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Schalke
    Nice interview with Scholesy, looks focused but confident and we will need his experience and cool head tonight....this will be his 99th european appearance for us if i remember correctly..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Schalke
    mike65 wrote: »
    Where's Dunphy? Its not the same.
    Billo said Eamo is "ill".

Nice one to Setanta for showing the other match tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Roma
    Come on United!

Roma
    1-0 Barca

Bojan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Schalke
    Utd. looking a bit shaky atm imo

ronnie not having his best game. vidic has just gone down too, and it takes a lot to do that!
    utd need to relax a bit more when they have the ball. they seem rushed and roma are taking the advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Schalke
    O Shea on for Vidic, hopefully nothing too serious

• Advertisement

Roma
    Looking shaky because we're down to ten for now.

We're dominating possession but theres no end product.

O'Shea on to replace Vidic

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Vidic off injured.

Theres far too much falling down going on.

Roma
    Yes!!!!!

Away goal

thumping Ronaldo header

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Schalke
    United 1-0

Ronaldo

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

What a header..

1 - 0 united.

and 36 now for ronaldo.

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Roma
    Get in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIVA RONALDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Big game and all! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

once again ronaldo fails to deliver in a big game, most overhyped player ever....

....after rooney that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Schalke
    Amazing header, thank fcuk he is back up and running about aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Schalke
    Iago wrote: »
    once again ronaldo fails to deliver in a big game, most overhyped player ever....

....after rooney that is!
    WTF??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Schalke
    yeah ronaldo is so shoite loike. hes just hype from sky sports. thats all. look at being all shoite in a big game :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement