Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Schalke
    Pigman II wrote: »
    Eh, United are paired with Barca, Liverpool with Chelsea.
    Exactly, we even know who plays what legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Schalke
    Pigman II wrote: »
    Eh, United are paired with Barca, Liverpool with Chelsea.

U may be right there :D

Schalke
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    close to that 4th spot yet?
    Arsenal Fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Here's hoping both United and Barca progress tomorrow night.

Then giving us a United - Liverpool and Chelsea - Barca semi-final.

United and Barca to progress, then we can see a real competition between the two best attacking teams in Europe.

also...barca are not one of two best attacking teams in europe...thats a myth perpetrated by a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Noelie wrote: »
    in fairness Dunphy acted the exact same why when someone would slag off his beloved roy.

Which i wouldnt agree with either.Not like im picking on the man i just thought it was unprofessional to go off on a strop over a few clips hightlighting how in rte's/dunphys opinon wenger hasnt been very cool headed lately if he strongly disagreed with it fine debate the point and wait till after the show to bring it up with dunphy instead of giveing away the winner of the next game and saying he wouldnt of come on if he knew.

imho anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Anyone else think they should do a Brady montage to the Victor Meldrew music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Football's all about winning trophies, you remember what they look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Schalke
    Liverpool demostrated tonight how poor they are and why they haven't won the league in so long. Senderos' defending was shocking for both goals and in effect was the difference between Arsenal going thru and not goin thru. The space he gave Torres was unreal. If my 7 year old defended like that I'd be shouting from the sideline.

Well, the only hope is that Barca can do the business and win it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

If my 7 year old defended like that I'd be shouting from the sideline.

Why? Are you living your life vicariously thru them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement

Schalke
    Lads,

Brady related news straight off the press :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055271755

Schalke
    zuchum wrote: »
    also...barca are not one of two best attacking teams in europe...thats a myth perpetrated by a few years ago.

How is this statement even remotely true? Firstly, you "perpetuate a myth".

Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Bojan, Iniesta, Xavi. Not attacking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB wrote: »
    Jesus christ lads, why has everyone predicted United!! That never happens.
    Vidic and Ferdinand are out for crying out loud, surely somebody wants to balance out the tempting fateness :)

Because Italians abroad in the latter stages are generally woeful. Ive 30 euro in my pocket and Im headin to the bookies in the morning. A tenner on 3-0, a tenner on 3-1 and a few one euro insurance bets to try and recoup any losses if Im wrong.

Anyway, christ, what a match, best Ive seen in god knows how long, fcuking quality stuff. Walcott with his Maradona impression. Babel sealing it at the last. Alot of dodgy Liverpool giving the ball away incidents but....****....what a game. Moment of the match was, in fairness, the Walcott run. Gerrard had a poor game, and I thought taking off Torres was nuts when the game hadnt been killed. Didnt rate Babels introduction after his awful performance lastweek but he redeemed himself well. Mascherano played well, and Skirtel is playing his bollix off, surprised he isnt getting more media/fan plaudits.

Well spotted re Hamiltons mobile. Personally I had thought it reached the furthest reaches of plonkerism when George treated us to a bizarre analogy post Torres goal involving speedboats and oil tankers :confused:

Schalke
    How is this statement even remotely true? Firstly, you "perpetuate a myth".

Ronaldinho, Deco, Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Bojan, Iniesta, Xavi. Not attacking?

Sorry but have you watched Barcelona this season they are awful, I am sure all the La Liga fans could tell ya that. Henry is playing with a continual back injury and isnt playing well at all " when he plays", Deco is dropped for a while cause of his lifestyle rarely features, Messi is injured long term, ronaldinho injured/overweight doesnt train.

Only two good things about barca are Bojan and eto'o, I am sorry but havent a clue what ure talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Brilliant, another Pool Chelski borefest semi final coming up.:(

Hopefully Barca and United both go through to make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Schalke
    Yep, Barca have been shocking in the past five or six weeks, but they do have the players to beat anyone in the world.

I would still expect United to beat them if both go through though.

Any neutral would love to see a United Vs Liverpool final.

Schalke
    Willstev wrote: »
    Sorry but have you watched Barcelona this season they are awful, I am sure all the La Liga fans could tell ya that. Henry is playing with a continual back injury and isnt playing well at all " when he plays", Deco is dropped for a while cause of his lifestyle rarely features, Messi is injured long term, ronaldinho injured/overweight doesnt train.

Only two good things about barca are Bojan and eto'o, I am sorry but havent a clue what ure talking about.

The previous poster spoke about the best attacking teams in the world. Nothing was said about timeframe. Yes, Barca are having a very mixed season but have the ability to score hatfuls of goals.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/deco-and-messi-set-to-reinforce-barccedila-campaign-804050.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Sorry but have you watched Barcelona this season they are awful, I am sure all the La Liga fans could tell ya that.

That counts for nothing though , it's Europe as we hear so many times . look at the Pool in both.They can beat top teams in Europe but are shocking in the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Football's all about winning trophies, you remember what they look like

LOL do you call the league cup a trophy! Typical Yids

The game itself was a cracker but Arsenal shot themselves in the foot too many times. If they went 2-0 up it would have been game set and match. The Sagna injury ****ed us up big time. If he had been fit then without doubt arsenal would have been in the semi. Senderous was at fault for 3 goals over the tie. 3!!! Not good enough!
    And even at the the cards fall in favour of liverpool with the ref's calls over the 2 legs. But thats football!

Roll on next season:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke

You're having a laugh. Messi hasn't been good just because he's been injured? When fit he has been imo the most exciting player in the world, only one goal behind C Ronaldo in the CL top scorers. Also, Iniesta has been barcelona's best player this season. Xavi has scored some vital goals.

Im not saying they'll win it, or will even get past an absolutely fantastic ManU, and yes they have been shocking at times this season. Infact Im utterly worried about the prospect of being destroyed by ManU if they get past Schalke tomorrow. But to label their attacking line up as awful is laughable. Awful enough to get past the reigning German, Scottish and French champions so far as well as the Rangers.

:)

Oh, and on tonights game, fair f*cks to Liverpool, they really are so professional when it gets to this stage.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    LOL do you call the league cup a trophy! Typical Yids

Yes jank, I do.

Mickey mouse and all as it is, it's still a trophy. You don't get medals for a QF defeat in the CL or finishing 3rd in the league, do you?

Typical nomads...

Schalke
    Thats fair enough^ But dont even pretend like you wouldnt swap positions with Arsenal if you could. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I really enjoyed that game.

Liverpool deserve to go through imo, but Arsenal are clearly the better team, just nowhere near clinical enough and happened to get unlucky with Sagna being injuried [then again, so was Agger, but Liverpool have more defensive cover].

I'd say Chelsea will look at that match with glee. Shocking defending imo from Liverpool, they were ripped apart at ease.

Still, I think the Chelsea players will relish this tie now, a chance for revenge, and Liverpool without Agger in defence really aren't great.

Sagna being injured? It's Wengers fault for not buying backup....

Shocking defending from Liverpool ? Chelsea didn't look too hot at the back either?

Tusky wrote: »
    Yep, seriously respect for Walcott. He should have been on from the start. Looking great in both games.

should have been taken out of it by Aurelio...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    Barcas attack is as good as Uniteds imo, but the difference is the defence. That's where I think we would beat Barca if we both got there.

I know, they hate us because they want to be us, but never will.

{Anyway why am i arguing with a spurs fan on a CL night!?}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Barcas attack is as good as Uniteds imo, but the difference is the defence. That's where I think we would beat Barca if we both got there.

Provided we have a full compliment back there :/

Schalke
    Im just going to go ahead and say it and risk getting attacked by 80% of the board. If both uniteds and barca's attack was on top form, I think barca's would be better. I agree 100% on the defense though, but Im used to shakey defenses at this stage, makes set pieces a roller coaster ride of frustration :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Schalke

i tend to agree. the main difference is tho that utds attack are definately better motivated and seem a lot hungrier.

cant wait to see the semi final between these 2 (potential but c'mon like :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Liverpool demostrated tonight how poor they are and why they haven't won the league in so long. Senderos' defending was shocking for both goals and in effect was the difference between Arsenal going thru and not goin thru. The space he gave Torres was unreal. If my 7 year old defended like that I'd be shouting from the sideline.

Well, the only hope is that Barca can do the business and win it!

hmm..liverpool were poor because one of arsenal's defender's was poor...that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

eZe^ wrote: »
    If both uniteds and barca's attack was on top form, I think barca's would be better.

Same for me.
    eZe^ wrote: »
    I agree 100% on the defense though, but Im used to shakey defenses at this stage, makes set pieces a roller coaster ride of frustration

The spanish toon army.

:D

Think UTD will go through easy enough, Lyon were and Roma are average enough...and if they play Barca they will beat them.. :( Ronaldo will beat them on his own..if the turns up.

I know, they hate us because they want to be us, but never will.

Your cat pic would be appropriate now.

If I said why we really hate you I'd have a full time break from here.
    {Anyway why am i arguing with a spurs fan on a CL night!?}

Cos your season's over and you've nothing else to do?

Cos your season's over and you've nothing else to do?

That begs the question what are you on here for? Don't you have your own corner of the web to rule?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    Yeh, this crap ends now, shush the both of ya

• Advertisement

Schalke
    hmm..liverpool were poor because one of arsenal's defender's was poor...that makes sense

Liverpool in general I thought were poor and were under severe pressure for prolonged periods of the game. Their lot was helped by the fact that Senderos' inept defending gifted them two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I thought Liverpool pretty much totally dominated the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Liverpool in general I thought were poor and were under severe pressure for prolonged periods of the game.

Once Liverpool scored the goal they were the better side, from 1 to 11. Arsenal, after Hyypia's goal, has passengers throughout the team, Senderos, Eboue, Diaby, Gilberto and even Fabregas.
    Their lot was helped by the fact that Senderos' inept defending gifted them two goals.

I'm sure Torres and Hyypia's clinical finishing had something to do with those goals as well. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »

Didn't see it that way myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Mr Alan wrote: »

Basically. Even when Arsenal were throwing men forward we still looked the more likely to score, and we certainly were more clinical. Only Alonso really disapointed.

Dunphy is some fool of a man. How he gets away with it is beyond me, but he gets the ratings so thats all there is to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh, its a tad hypocritcal of Brady to be mad at RTE and Dunphy, he sits there week in week out as Dunphy, slates EVERYONE, used to be SAF,Ronaldo,Rafa,Grant etc, but now he does the same thing to Wenger and Brady spits his dummy out. RTE is tabloid sensationalist punditry, Brady knows this, he is foolish to get in a strop cause they are very critical of Arsenal over one match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a great game of football but the wrong team went through. Arsenal were mugged in the first game by a disgraceful decision and the same thing happened tonight. That was never a penalty and Babel made a meal of it.

Once again Liverpool fluked their way through a Champions League tie as they did against Mourinho's Chelsea.

I think Avram's mercenaries will put Liverpool in their place though, but boy will it be a grotesque, dire game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Didn't see it that way myself.

So what have you got to whinge about tonight? You're a sore loser. You deserved to win the first game but its always the same with some Arsenal fans. they get beaten and its the ref or they got lumped out of it. Being honest I think the majority of Arsenal supporters are brilliant. I rang mates of mine at half time and there was no bad feelings. The likes of you are SAD. You win some ya lose some. thats football. its cruel at times. GET OVER IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Roma
    I thought it was a great game of football but the wrong team went through. Arsenal were mugged in the first game by a disgraceful decision and the same thing happened tonight. That was never a penalty and Babel made a meal of it.

Once again Liverpool fluked their way through a Champions League tie as they did against Mourinho's Chelsea.

I think Avram's mercenaries will put Liverpool in their place though, but boy will it be a grotesque, dire game of football.
    *yawn*

Bitter much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

kaimera wrote: »
    *yawn*

Bitter much?

Nope. I'm a United fan and wouldn't shed any tears for Mr Wenger but he was hard done by on this night without a doubt.

Nope. I'm a United fan and wouldn't shed any tears for Mr Wenger but he was hard done by on this night without a doubt.

Boo Fookin hoo. Munich were done in '99. its football get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Roma
    Thanks for clarifing your team. I honestly couldnt tell from your post :rolleyes:

4th get no silver ware. not that you'd know much about it

• Advertisement
Advertisement