Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

haha cheering his every touch was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Schalke
    Willstev wrote: »
    Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic ??
    :p

De Rossi was completely dominated by Anderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    So, Barca will have to play United... Balls....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Schalke
    Willstev wrote: »
    Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic ??
    :p

De Rossi was completely dominated by Anderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barca were as crap as its possible to be, and make a semi-final. They'll get hammered unless Fergie does something truly stupid, whihc he won't.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I accept Roma won't go through, but you must accept that Roma have passed UTD off the park since the 25 mark,

Were you watching the same game?????

Some of your posts(which I cant be bothered to quote) on this thread have been shocking, in content, but more importantly in tone.

Try and think before you type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mike65 wrote: »
    Barca were as crap as its possible to be, and make a semi-final. They'll get hammered unless Fergie does something truly stupid, whihc he won't.

Mike.

It's Europe, believe me he is well capable of doing something stupid.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eZe^ wrote: »
    So, Barca will have to play United... Balls....
    mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Barcelona scare me more then any other side in the competition.

They haven't been playing well, but if Rijkard picks the right side against us (basically Marquez at CB) it won't be an easy game at all. Messi should be back for them, and he will be a massive, massive boost for them - they look a completely different side with him on the pitch. I would also back Henry to have his best game in a Barca shirt.

United do have the ability to take the game to barcelona, and to scare them, but Rooney and Ronaldo will have to turn up big time - as will the entire back line.

Even just thinking about Eto'o and Messi feeding off Iniesta passes and taking on Brown is making me a little ill.

Messi on his own scares me.

Also, you know fergie is going to go with both Giggs and Scholes in the starting line up, with Anderson, Nani and Tevez on the bench. Playing a wonderfully cautious 451 formation, probably with Ronaldo through the centre... which means we will struggle horribly.

Could be freakin epic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A good professional win tonight for Man Utd. Roma must have felt like Liverpool being awarded a penalty for a nothing incident but thankfully justice was done and it was blazed over.

I thought Hargreaves and Park played well. I don't think Barcelona are to be feared. I would share Dunphy's concern about Fergie being a bit too cautious but I still reckon United will prevail from the tie to meet Chelski in Moscow. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah and I'm sure Barca will raise their game seeing as they'll be coming up against a quality side, there's a lot of attacking quality but their defence is there for the taking imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    Rijkaard is definitely the most tactically inept of all the managers at big clubs atm. He is 4-3-3's illegitimate love child, he will not change from it ever. So dont worry, he'll more than likely pick the wrong team and United will win 3-0. :p

As long as they put in a performance, Ill be happy, regardless of the actual result, Im just dying to see them show some pride in their club and become hungry. Itd be nice to make sure that after the 2 games Liverpool are still the British team to win at the Camp Nou.

Overall psyche- extremely pessimistic with a sprinkling of disdain. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Exactly, i think Fergie was right in hoping for English sides in the quarters/semis seeing as we are there now.Playing an attacking team not knowing how he will set up is a major worry.Playing English teams regardless of their set-up would suit United more imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I would share Dunphy's concern about Fergie being a bit too cautious but I still reckon United will prevail from the tie to meet Chelski in Moscow. :cool:

I turned over to Sky after the match and Ferguson said that they have to go to Barcelona and play positively and not conseratively, so hopefully that is a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

adox wrote: »
    I turned over to Sky after the match and Ferguson said that they have to go to Barcelona and play positively and not conseratively, so hopefully that is a good sign.

unfortunately he says things like that regularly, only to play 451 with only Ronaldo and Rooney as the players likely to actually run at the opposition.

I hope he sticks to it, but i'll believe it when I see it.

Personally I would like Hargreaves, Carrick and Aderson in midfield, with Ronaldo roaming behind Tevez and Rooney. Won't happen, but that is what i would like. In reality Scholes and Giggs will play, with Tevez on the bench - its only really whether Anderson or Hargreaves plays beside Scholes and Carrick (I reckon Hargreaves, definately away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

adox wrote: »
    Were you watching the same game?????

Some of your posts(which I cant be bothered to quote) on this thread have been shocking, in content, but more importantly in tone.

Try and think before you type.

Get off your high horse will ye. You make it out that a football match is fact. Its all subjective, as far as I'm concerned with a top striker Roma would be in with a shout of winning this trophy.

I felt United played well on the counter and let Roma play the real football. It was always going to be harder for Roma, as they had to go at Man Utd allowing loads of room for them to break.

Roma easily could have got a result there tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Roma
    I think with the first leg being in the Nou Camp, Utd have the advantage.

I think they'll go with a 4-5-1 and pick Barca apart on the counter.

Don't mind ferguson, he's a politician and simply saying the right things to (a) keep the fans happy and (b) keep Barcelona guessing.

Utd are best when going forward, but they're also strong at the back and Fergie will be more than happy to let Barca makes the moves and then hit them once they leave space at the back.

If Utd don't lose in the Nou Camp, you'd have to fancy them at OT.

As for Chelsea / Liverpool, it could go either way. Chelsea are the better side but Liverpool have an unrivalled work rate in europe, it depends how hungry Chelsea are for it.

A Liverpool / Utd final would be the sweetest final, but the stakes would be so high i'm not sure liverpool or Utd fans could tolerate it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You make it out that a football match is fact. Its all subjective,
    Well that's not really true, especially when you consider your last point.

But the fact of the matter is that they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

They could have, because UTD were all over the place until the goal, I didnt like that team at all, one didnt know what the other was gonna do. Roma shoulda made the most of the chances they had.

It was a poor game tbh, Roma arent too hot IMO, once they were one down the said goodnite, its their own fault their out.

Man U will beat Barca, I'd say if Liverpool beat Chelsea they'll beat Man U in the final:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    Thought Roma were **** personally, didn't offer a huge threat, and for all their passing, had very few clear chances.

United on the other hand weren't great, not bad not great. I thought Pique was very assured to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

kerash wrote: »
    I'd say if Liverpool beat Chelsea they'll beat Man U in the final:p
    Not a chance!!:p:D
    Man U's recent record against Liverpool speaks for itself.
    And while Liverpool are generally much more formidable in Europe than in the League, I stilll think Utd would prevail.
    I think Chelsea will get past Liverpool. Avraam Grant knows he needs either this trophy or the League title to appease Abromovich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Schalke
    I didn't see the game, but congrats to Utd on going through. I was very surprised at the team selection, but Roma were never gonna come back from 2-0 down to win at Old Trafford.

Sets it up for a great semi-final. Barcelona & Man Utd are probably the top two attacking teams in the world on paper (and Man Utd on the pitch too...). It'll be a huge advantage having the second leg at Old Trafford. The Camp Nou is not a place to go needing a result, or even defending a lead. Just ask Schalke. It may be a bit of a cliche, but Barcelona often only seem to turn it on when they really need to - and if they don't get a result in the first leg, they may find it hard to turn over Utd at Old Trafford.

If I was a betting man, I'd just about favour Man Utd. Their league campaign, and Vidic's injury may be a fly in the ointment, but they definitely have the quality and the mentality to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't think I've ever supported Barcelona more in my life. I'll be sleeping in my Xavi jersies for the next two weeks. Come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

eZe^ wrote: »
    Rijkaard is definitely the most tactically inept of all the managers at big clubs atm. He is 4-3-3's illegitimate love child, he will not change from it ever. So dont worry, he'll more than likely pick the wrong team and United will win 3-0. :p
    The same Rijkaard who rescued Barcelona from one of the worst runs in their history - with the club failing to qualify for the CL and going an unheard of 6 years (99-05) without a trophy to their name - by winning back to back leagues coupled with only their second ever European Cup??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barca
    Have Roma learnt anything from last season? their attack was more blunt this season then it was last (minus Totti i concede) but over the the 2 legs Roma were lacking any kind of cutting edge. why was Giuly, their best creative player available on the bench until mid way through the 2nd half?

Mr. Sensi Jr. needs to open that chequebook if Roma are ever going to make an impact in the CL against the big teams (fluke results apart).

Schalke
    I'd rather play Chelsea or Liverpool than Barca, they scare me as a team. I'm hopeful we can beat all 3, but Barca are a scary team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

PHB wrote: »
    I'd rather play Chelsea or Liverpool than Barca, they scare me as a team. I'm hopeful we can beat all 3, but Barca are a scary team.

Honestly would rate any of the last 4 teams left more than capable of
    winning the CL. Barca recently look the weakest to be honest but they
    have the most potent attack by far if they were to click on the day.
    Outstanding champions league this year.
    Some of the matches were absolutly outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

OPENROAD wrote: »
    probably loads of Irish clowns there also.

Whats that supposed to mean?
    Irish cant support Manchester United? All United fans are clowns? Any Irish that go over to watch United are clowns? The majority of United fans are clowns? What an absolute fcuking ridiculous and insulting comment to make. Get a grip will ya. And as for that muppet who argeed with ya and made the "putting on the English accent comments", go have a bowl of custard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Trilla wrote: »
    Irish cant support Manchester United? All United fans are clowns? Any Irish that go over to watch United are clowns? The majority of United fans are clowns? What an absolute fcuking ridiculous and insulting comment to make. Get a grip will ya. And as for that muppet who argeed with ya and made the "putting on the English accent comments", go have a bowl of custard...

That would be me. Doesn't Openroad hate Ireland, and support Arsenal anyway?

I called them clowns because they were singing ''same old Italians always cheating'' I don't find that funny, and its such a crap chant.

I support people following whatever team they want, but I become a Nazi when it comes to the Irish National Team. You either support them, or you die.

Schalke
    The chant is same old itites, always cheating. I have never heard the word itite before yesterday, is it a racial slur?

PHB wrote: »
    The chant is same old itites, always cheating. I have never heard the word itite before yesterday, is it a racial slur?
    I take it by "itites" you mean as in pronounced "Eye-toy"? If so it's a well known colloquialism for an Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

its "eyetie"

growler wrote: »
    its "eyetie"
    Sorry you're right, dunno why I used "toy" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sorry you're right, dunno why I used "toy" :confused:

no worries, I'd still love to have heard the "itites" chant though :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Why are people **STILL** voting on the poll?!

I noticed it was 11 Arsenal 15 Liverpool near the end of the game. Now its 51 for liverpool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well done to Rangers for getting into the Champions-League-Losers semi-final. It's nice to see another British team have success in Europe and Whitaker got a very impressive goal there at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jesus Christ, I wish people would read threads before having a go, the op referred to "English clowns" (which is insulting)in reference to man utd supporters at the match, I was trying to point out to him that there were probably loads of Irish there also. It was not meant to be insulting on my part :mad:

That would be me. Doesn't Openroad hate Ireland, and support Arsenal anyway?

WTF :mad: When have I ever said I hate Ireland. I don't support international football,have no real interest in it but how does that equate to hating Ireland, please explain:confused::confused::confused:

Openroad if I took you up wrong I apologize. But you can see how it can be taken up,especially with the comment from estebancambias about english accents that followed

Openroad if I took you up wrong I apologize. But you can see how it can be taken up,especially with the comment from estebancambias about english accents that followed

no worries but just to clarify my post was in no way meant to be insulting and I apologize if it was taken that way by anybody, my post was in response to estebancambias who had said "English clowns" referring to utd fans. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

OPENROAD wrote: »
    no worries but just to clarify my post was in no way meant to be insulting and I apologize if it was taken that way by anybody, my post was in response to estebancambias who had said "English clowns" referring to utd fans. :)

Twas pretty clear to be honest and correct, I think some people need to lighten up a bit or just read posts properly.

Boggles wrote: »
    Twas pretty clear to be honest
    I honestly didnt think it was! Anyhow its done and dusted and if I went off on one I apologize again. Took it up wrong but easily done.

I had a bowl of custard last night as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Just got this mailed to me, intersting view. Was sent in to teletext on the 31st March. I have the jpg is anyone wants.

"What a proud week for English football, with four of our sides still in teh Champions League.

We have the American-owned, Scottish-managed Manchester United; the Russian-owned, Israeli-managed Chelsea; the Spanish-managed, American-owned Liverpool, not forgetting the French-managed Arsenal with their sole English player - a great advert for English football."

Advertisement