Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Be surprised if Ronaldo finishes the game, thumping header. I was thinking about sticking 100 on him to score :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Schalke
    Vidic injury looked nasty, hardly inspiring seeing o'shea and wes brown in the back 4

Roma are terrible, united fully deserve to be 1 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    Bojan, what a 17 year old little machine! one of the youngest scorers in the CL I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Schalke
    United still look vulnerable at the back imo and are missing Hargreaves. Roma coming at them through the middle, far too easily at times.

Surprised O'Shea went CB, thought it would have been Brown in there with O'Shea out right.

United's best player is Rooney.

Great goal.

Vucinc is going to kill Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yeah, Ronaldo only scores against relegation fodder, never in big games. It's only the CL quarters, betcha he would score in a CL semi final or an FA Cup final :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eZe^ wrote: »
    Bojan, what a 17 year old little machine! one of the youngest scorers in the CL I think.
    2nd youngest.

Poor goalkeeping from Neuer for Barca's goal.

Brilliant turn by Rooney to create the Ronaldo goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

DesF wrote: »
    Vucinc is going to kill Ireland :)
    He is, isn't he. He looks a right handful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    I already said Neuer was meant to have only been a mediocre keeper who had one fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Roma
    Vidic injury looked nasty, hardly inspiring seeing o'shea and wes brown in the back 4

Roma are terrible, united fully deserve to be 1 up.

Whatever about John O'Shea, Wes Brown has been impeccable this season, and has been a permanent fixture in the best defence in the league this season.

• Advertisement

Schalke
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Whatever about John O'Shea, Wes Brown has been impeccable this season, and has been a permanent fixture in the best defence in the league this season.

imo he's been a passenger in an otherwise quality united defense. he wont be starting there next season.

second half just kicked off, both these games are only appetizers for tomorrow night anyway :D

Schalke
    Archimedes wrote: »
    Playing very well at RB all season, which is why I suppose Ferguson left him out there.

Roma
    F*cking hell, major let off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Roma
    ...and again!

Schalke
    How the fúck did he miss that one?

Roma
    ....and again! Wake up ffs...

• Advertisement

Schalke
    imo he's been a passenger in an otherwise quality united defense.
    The team that is top of the league, managed by the most successful manager in the EPL of his generation, has a passanger in it?

Jaysis.

Doesn't say a whole lot for the rest of the league tbh.

Schalke
    sending off coming in this game....

hargreaves coming on to tighten things up

Roma
    Hargreaves coming on.

For Anderson if I was a betting man...

Schalke
    DesF wrote: »
    The team that is top of the league, managed by the most successful manager in the EPL of his generation, has a passanger in it?

Jaysis.

Doesn't say a whole lot for the rest of the league tbh.

:D

at least united have only one passenger, have a look at liverpool :eek:

anderson never really settled into the game, good switch fergie

Anderson has been shi-te frankly.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Roma
    mike65 wrote: »
    Anderson has been shi-te frankly.

Mike.

Went off injured, but he wasnt impressive today. A long season has taken its toll on him as of late, Id rest him for a couple of weeks and have him fresh for the run-in.

Roma
    Only a matter of time if we keep this up. Need to keep hold of the f*cking ball...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

2-0 Rooney. goal gifted to him

Game over. Tie over

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

2 - 0

Rooney. Good cross from wes brown, park heads it back, scramble in the box and rooney taps it in. Roll on the semis.

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Schalke
    lol @ the keeper.

Roma
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two F*cking Nil!!!!!!!!!

Schalke
    Park did quite well, keeper was shíte.

Ronaldo has just hammered the post from 20 yards there

What a cracking shot by ronaldo. Nearly a second for him.

Adam

• Advertisement

Roma
    Good finger tip save, Ronaldo off the post...

Schalke
    schalke should have equalised, asamoah misses a great chance

Schalke
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ronaldo has just hammered the post from 20 yards there
    Good save tbh.

Roma
    My only concern now will be for the safety of our fans after the match. The Ultras wont take too kindly to this...

Roma
    Carrick.........should have been three..

Expected Carrick to drive that home.

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

lol at
    "Ronaldo goes missing for tough European away games
    "

Surely he has proven himself as Europe`s best this season.

Schalke
    lol at "Ronaldo goes missing for tough European away games"

Surely he has proven himself as Europe`s best this season.

theres no disputing he's the best in europe atm.

hardly a tough european away game though. seems like roma havnt changed much from last year

schalke should be level, fully expect united to be in the final now.

Schalke
    schalke should have had a peno, abidal pulling back the schalke forward. lol @ barca's defence

• Advertisement

Tevez on for Rooney for the last few mins

Looks like the Utd fans will have the stadium to themselves soon. Then they'll end up spend half the night in there probably.

Mike.

Rio Ferdinand has been immense all night, my MOTM followed my Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    mike65, even if United fans are stuck in the stadium, because of a ticketing policy decision taken by United (only to give out the tickets to the people they are registered too, rather than the people with the ticket book) there are lots of United fans scattered around the city. Could still be trouble ahead :/

As for the game, that was a shakey performance. Is that how other teams play away really? It seemed to work, but christ, my heart can't take it.
    United looked nervous throughout the whole game, largely I think because they were asked to play a slower tempo than they naturally do, and hence were a bit off.
    Nonetheless, 2-0 is a fantastic result in theory.
    However I feel we should have finished off the game. Rooney should have scored, as should Ronaldo [was clearly onside for that 1on1, would have been a defo goal], and Carrick for sure, jesus. Hopefully it'll be fine, but the tie is still in the balance.

Park did well for the header, and ran a lot and closed down, did well.
    Ronaldo didn't have the best of games, but he was upfront, and you know what you measure strikers on.
    Rooney played ok, but goal a poachers goal so I'm happy.
    Scholes played poorly I think, but that dink for Ronaldo was class.
    Carrick was ok, nothing great.
    Anderson was ok going forward, very good as a defensive 3rd midfielder.
    Brown and Evra were fine, with O'Shea we looked dodgy.
    Ferdinand was amazing, MOM, MOT the way its going :)

I think the system deployed was interesting, not willing to risk Ronaldo not tracking back, so put him up front. Interesting stuff :)

p.s. What a ****ing save from VDS and then clearance from Rio, kept us on top, that's what top keepers do, 2-3 little things for 90 minutes, then one amazing save.

Roma
    PHB wrote: »
    mike65, even if United fans are stuck in the stadium, because of a ticketing policy decision taken by United (only to give out the tickets to the people they are registered too, rather than the people with the ticket book) there are lots of United fans scattered around the city. Could still be trouble ahead :/

As for the game, that was a shakey performance. Is that how other teams play away really? It seemed to work, but christ, my heart can't take it.
    United looked nervous throughout the whole game, largely I think because they were asked to play a slower tempo than they naturally do, and hence were a bit off.
    However I feel we should have finished off the game. Rooney should have scored, as should Ronaldo, and Carrick for sure, jesus. Hopefully it'll be fine, but the tie is still in the balance.

Ronaldo didn't have the best of games, but he was upfront, and you know what you measure strikers on.

I think the system deployed was interesting, not willing to risk Ronaldo not tracking back, so put him up front. Interesting stuff :)

Bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

All smiles here 33/1. Ronaldo to score first and 2-0 win.

Happy happy days :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I don't think Roma really caused Man U too many problems, they had that spell at the start of the second half but they were too wasteful when they had the ball and lacked the killer instinct.

Good performance from Utd, the best I've seen using that sort of system, they were clinical too, which is needed when you're set up with three deep midfielders. Great header from Ronaldo, great performance from Rio, O'Shea deputised competently for Vidic, job done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I would have loved a third. How sh it were roma at 2-0, talk about lack of passion. As my house mate said - Seria A, Seria Pah more like. No heart in any of them. I'd be totally shocked if they mustered any kind of comeback in OT.

PHB wrote: »

However I feel we should have finished off the game. Rooney should have scored, as should Ronaldo [was clearly onside for that 1on1, would have been a defo goal], and Carrick for sure, jesus. Hopefully it'll be fine, but the tie is still in the balance.

p.s. What a ****ing save from VDS and then clearance from Rio, kept us on top, that's what top keepers do, 2-3 little things for 90 minutes, then one amazing save.

We must have been watching different games. United looked very assured defensively and i dont think O'Shea looked dodgy tbh.

I thought Scholes had a very good game, did what was needed, kept the ball moving in possession to tick united over which was the tactic.

Carrick was ok defensively but he over hit too many passes for me.

Rooney for me was amazing because of the fact that he turned up all over the place doing defensive work etc and just being an all round asset as a team player.

All in all I thought a very composed performance from United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

lordgoat wrote: »
    As my house mate said - Seria A, Seria Pah more like. No heart in any of them. I'd be totally shocked if they mustered any kind of comeback in OT.

Shocked? Id be less shocked if Jesus Christ descended on a spaceship at half time. The Italians are truly woeful in Europe, attempt to draw the visitors into a defensive, boring slow game where they hope to nick a single winning goal that will never come. I wonder what the odds being given are on them taking Man U and advancing, I really do. Id sooner put my house on Liechtenstein reaching the semis in 2010.

Very mediocre match, Utd were good enough though Anderson was awful. Rio did well after a shaky start. Anyone reckon Rooney was somewhat slow to blast the ball in when he got it? Lucky tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Torres vs Toure | Gallas

This should be interesting tonight. imo Toure hasnt been the same guy since returning from ANC, Willy has also been guilty of some silly mistakes. Will Wenger go with Senderos and Toure at RB?

• Advertisement
Advertisement