Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    what are people's opinions on the Hleb claims for a peno? i felt it should have been given myself. the arms were up and made contact, which is a foul no matter how light the touch.

I can't imagine anyone would argue it wasn't a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Dya reckon Rob Styles would have given it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

it WAS a penalty and liverpool did shocking in the second half but you can take nothing away from liverpool,they defended well throughout and attacked well in the first,they will go through and they deserve it.Arsenal as usual pass the ball around too much in the box and will pay the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dc69 wrote: »
    it WAS a penalty and liverpool did shocking in the second half but you can take nothing away from liverpool,they defended well throughout and attacked well in the first,they will go through and they deserve it.Arsenal as usual pass the ball around too much in the box and will pay the price!

Can still see Arsenal going through and they deserve it.

Nah Liverpool will qualify. They have a better pedigree, chum.

OPENROAD wrote: »

they wont go through and they dont deserve it.They lack a leader and have no killer instint.Multiple chances and the result is a draw.As usual the Liverpool bashers will be out in force.Im a liverpool fan and am delighted,I admit it was a penalty but they had other chances and as usual pussy footed around in the box.Their own fault and they dont deserve to go through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A curious viewpoint - Liverpool were shocking in the second half, yet deserve to go through.

Arsenal on the other hand, who were very unlucky, don't.

Hrmm.

they wont go through and they dont deserve it.They lack a leader and have no killer instint.Multiple chances and the result is a draw.As usual the Liverpool bashers will be out in force.Im a liverpool fan and am delighted,I admit it was a penalty but they had other chances and as usual pussy footed around in the box.Their own ault and they dont deserve to go through.

We will have to see what happens in the second leg, but based on tonight how can you say that Liverpool deserve to go through, come on mate!

We will have to see what happens in the second leg, but based on tonight how can you say that Liverpool deserve to go through, come on mate!

they were tacticaly astute.they held out for a draw and got it.I am a big fan of arsenals and think they play the most beuatiful football but if Liverpool win in anfield and progress,I wont stand Dunphy or the other Liverpool bashers saying we didnt deserve it becuase we did.Its not Liverpools fault the ref is blind.

He was shocking all night,Flamini pulled Gerrard down very close to the box and it deserved a free etc but nothing.He was a joke.

• Advertisement

A curious viewpoint - Liverpool were shocking in the second half, yet deserve to go through.

Arsenal on the other hand, who were very unlucky, don't.

I usually adhere to the maxim "the team that spent the most money deserve to go through".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pre January, certainly. But as Dunphy said, no buys and misjudged selling, Wenger aint played it well. I have to say Im not entirely bought into Torres just yet. He was average tonight, he hasnt a great EPL away record and he was actually very poor in Milan. But Arsenal did fook all tonight, their best chances came during the appalling gift Babels attempt to clear just before half time gave, and they didnt at all capitalise.
    Pigman II wrote: »
    I usually adhere to the maxim "the team that spent the most money deserve to go through".

I concur.

Sunderland to win CL 2009. :P

.Its not Liverpools fault the ref is blind.

In fairness it is their advantage given one particular pull down in the box. He is reffing in 08 and tbh Im glad Ireland are not under his watchful eye, it could go either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Torres needed closer support than he got (Babel was no help here) he'll be rested for the league game so expect him to be fresh for Tuesday (along with Gerrard, Carra, Arbeloa).

Mike.

shane86 wrote: »
    But Arsenal did fook all tonight, their best chances came during the appalling gift Babels attempt to clear just before half time gave, and they didnt at all capitalise.

And Liverppol were good in attack?? They were shocking.

Pre January, certainly. But as Dunphy said, no buys and misjudged selling, Wenger aint played it well. I have to say Im not entirely bought into Torres just yet. He was average tonight, he hasnt a great EPL away record and he was actually very poor in Milan. But Arsenal did fook all tonight, their best chances came during the appalling gift Babels attempt to clear just before half time gave, and they didnt at all capitalise.

I concur.

Torres is pure class,its his first season,the rest will come.

are you an arse fan?Bitter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

yet another poor result from chelsea, having been all over fenerbache for the first 30 minutes, still an away goal is handy and hopefully grant's many shortcomings become even more apparent.

on the street outside turkish fans are celebrating like they'd just had a dodgy taoiseach resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I concur.

Woah woah woah, they dont deserve to win this tie because they didn't spend money in January ?

also did you watch the second half? I dont think Babel was even playing when Arsenal had their best chances :confused: which they were very unlucky not to put away. Stupid Bendtner:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Good result for Liverpool, though to be honest they offered nothing in attack,

Liverpool were looking to counter and Gerrard was unlucky not to find Torres with a through ball a few times...Arsenal are too casual imo and should just take the direct route instead of passing it around the box a million times..

That said, the tie is wide open. Can't believe chelsea didn't win, they had a rake of possession and chances...Come on Fenerbache (can see the losing 2-0 at the bridge though)!

are you an arse fan?Bitter?

Not a bit, disappointed? Yes suppose I am, particularly with the pen,but I still think we have enough in us to score up at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Schalke
    they wont go through and they dont deserve it.

have you seen the second leg already yea?

• Advertisement

playa3 wrote: »
    Woah woah woah, they dont deserve to win this tie because they didn't spend money in January ?

also did you watch the second half? I dont think Babel was even playing when Arsenal had their best chances :confused: which they were very unlucky not to put away. Stupid Bendtner:mad:

You might say unlucky. I say sloppy.

Anyway what does Babel have to do with Arsenals best 2nd half attacks? :confused:

Babel certainly was. I cant say anyone else was particularly awful against a decent defense.

Anyway what does Babel have to do with Arsenals best 2nd half attacks? :confused:

Well to quote you...

But Arsenal did fook all tonight, their best chances came during the appalling gift Babels attempt to clear just before half time gave, and they didnt at all capitalise.

but to be honest i'm not really sure what you were getting at, its a bit of a mess. What I got from it was that you were saying that any good chances Arsenal had were all down to Babel, which wasn't the case

Well, to quote you quoting me
    their best chances came during the appalling gift Babels attempt to clear just before half time gave,

When the piece you had issue with stated
    Anyway what does Babel have to do with Arsenals best 2nd half attacks?

In fairness he was pulled off fairly quick into the second half, about 15 odd mins from memory.

So, in a nutshell, Arsenal were unlucky to not score or even make a decent attack from his fcuk ups towards the end of pt 1. Pt 2 he didnt give them anything.
    Growler wrote:
    on the street outside turkish fans are celebrating like they'd just had a dodgy taoiseach resign.

Congratulations. As a reward for makin me nearly choke on my beer laughing, yiv been sigged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    following on from last nights 33/1 touch....

hmmmmmmm bets tonight

options

Fabregas first goal +arsenal 2-1 45/1
    Adebeyor first goal +arsenal 2-1 30/1

Drogba first goal +chelsea 2-0 28/1
    Lampard first goal +chelsea 2-0 40/1

will wait till I see the lineups and get a bolt of inspiration....

Went with Adebeyor and 2-1 in the end.

Thought it would come off for a bit as well. Fukkin ref and fukkin idiot bentdner....

Well, to quote you quoting me

When the piece you had issue with stated

In fairness he was pulled off fairly quick into the second half, about 15 odd mins from memory.

So, in a nutshell, Arsenal were unlucky to not score or even make a decent attack from his fcuk ups towards the end of pt 1. Pt 2 he didnt give them anything.

Ah alright then i just misunderstood the orginal statement. Either way Liverpool did very well to get an excellent result, however anyone who thinks Arsenal didn't have the better of that game all in all is completely wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

We showed today we are the better team and we are more than capable of beating them at Anfield. It's not like we haven't done it before!

That ref is a clown, everyone could see it was a pen except him..

Theo looked exceptionally lively and must play at Anfield...

His pace makes Torres's look pedestrian...

Who was diving all over the place tonight, had no answer to Gallas like with Ferdinand,Dunne etc...

Schalke
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    We showed today we are the better team and we are more than capable of beating them at Anfield. It's not like we haven't done it before!

Theo looked exceptionally lively and must play at Anfield...

His pace makes Torres's look pedestrian...

Who was diving all over the place tonight, had no answer to Gallas like with Ferdinand,Dunne etc...

it was pretty slippy out there tonight in fairness. and there were a few dodgy tackles on FT tonight that players should have been booked for.

Theo looked good for 5/10 mins after he came on, he petered out after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Schalke
    What a goal that was by Deivid. Boosh:pac:

Schalke
    wasnt a bad finish by Kazim-Richards either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Schalke
    Kazim richards finish was a good one. Would love to see Kezman score the winner at the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Liverpool's defence didn't even play exceptionally well (by their usual standards anyway) and Arsenal still laboured to create clear chances.

Torres looked tired. Alonso was anonymous. Babel is starting to remind me a bit too much of Traore for comfort and a Carra & Kuyt right flank is pretty horrible; they'd make a better central defence.

That said, excellent result but I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool make things difficult for themselves at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Everyone could see Torres getting bodychecked all over the place too but hey, decisions dont always go your way,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stekelly wrote: »
    Everyone could see Torres getting bodychecked all over the place too but hey, decisions dont always go your way,
    His burgeoning reputation as the new Jurgen Klinsmann, which he added to today by the way, may have been a factor.

Frankly I'm surprised Hleb didn't get booked for running into Kuyt's arm, that seems to be the way things are going for him at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Schalke
    I actually thought that the ref was extremely good apart from that penalty decision. An Arsenal fan watching it with me pretty much said the same thing.

Anyway, I really wish he had given the penalty as it is another reason/excuse to play down the clubs achievements if we do get through to the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    I actually thought that the ref was extremely good apart from that penalty decision. An Arsenal fan watching it with me pretty much said the same thing.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

His burgeoning reputation as the new Jurgen Klinsmann, which he added to today by the way, may have been a factor.

What for going down when he gets kicked?

Senderos ran sideways for about 10 yard sand straight into him with the ball 5 yards away when he looked like he was clear. The guy selling hot dogs in the car park could have called that one.

have you seen the second leg already yea?

Yes I have.Liverpool go through!

Arse arent playing against AC,they are playing a team that knows how to play a prem team,we will score one and concede none!

Tactically rafa is a better manger than wenger and dare I sat tactically the best in the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

When Senderos was trying to get up after he down near the touchline with a groin/knee problem, he reminded me of a wounded animal - trying to get up and run but his leg just wouldn't work. You could see his caveman brain strugging to understand.

PiE wrote: »
    When Senderos was trying to get up after he down near the touchline with a groin/knee problem, he reminded me of a wounded animal - trying to get up and run but his leg just wouldn't work. You could see his caveman brain strugging to understand.

exactly why wenger is an idiot,he is so stuborn.For all his greatness he sticks with senderos when he could have bought in another player,senderos is pony and trap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

For the good of football Arse have to go through. I cant fathom the prospect of watching Hoofpool bore their way to the semi finals. Have a feeling it'll be more of the same in the 2nd leg, we'll dominate possession and they'll sit back and defend the away goal. Bendtner was their best player tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i know none of us want to see another final like that stupid boring one in 2005, **** off liverpool. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well Chelsea got exactly what we deserved last night. First half controled the game easily, had acres of space and time. You'd expect them to do something with it but no. The only good attempt in the entire first half was Essiens shot off the bar.

They got complacent and carless and payed for it. Stupid stupid showing from Chelsea. Tactically again we got it completely wrong in the second half. Why oh why are we playing one of the worlds best midfielders at right back? Has grant not got the bottle to drop ballack or lampard? Come on this was his easy way out. Lampard is still feeling the after effects of a stomach bug, rest him and let Essien back in the middle with Ballack. Better yet take Claude Mak out and throw Anekla up front with Drogba and play the 4-4-2 we all want to see. When we changed to that against Arsenal they couldn't handle it. At 2-1 down we should have done it and gone for it. Pointless making the change on 85mins!!!!

Regarding the liverpool arsenal game well from the highlights I watched Arsenal were robbed. What baffles me is one thing, Liverpool don't play their own game and this is what I hate about them and what I think a lot of other fans do. Arsenal go out to play ball, United go out to play ball, Liverpool go out purely to stiffle the opposition. They aren't interested in having a go or taking on Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever they get. They want to just nullify them and hopefully nick a goal.

As has been said. For the love of god I just hope Arsenal beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    I can't imagine anyone would argue it wasn't a penalty.

!*cough*cough*!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

iregk wrote: »
    Regarding the liverpool arsenal game well from the highlights I watched Arsenal were robbed. What baffles me is one thing, Liverpool don't play their own game and this is what I hate about them and what I think a lot of other fans do. Arsenal go out to play ball, United go out to play ball, Liverpool go out purely to stiffle the opposition. They aren't interested in having a go or taking on Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever they get. They want to just nullify them and hopefully nick a goal.

The only thing Arsenal were robbed of last night was a penalty, and who's to say they would have scored it.

You call it nullify, I call it good tactics.
    As you say, Avram got his tactics wrong last night, Rafa didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Well Chelsea got exactly what we deserved last night. First half controled the game easily, had acres of space and time. You'd expect them to do something with it but no. The only good attempt in the entire first half was Essiens shot off the bar.

They got complacent and carless and payed for it. Stupid stupid showing from Chelsea. Tactically again we got it completely wrong in the second half. Why oh why are we playing one of the worlds best midfielders at right back? Has grant not got the bottle to drop ballack or lampard? Come on this was his easy way out. Lampard is still feeling the after effects of a stomach bug, rest him and let Essien back in the middle with Ballack. Better yet take Claude Mak out and throw Anekla up front with Drogba and play the 4-4-2 we all want to see. When we changed to that against Arsenal they couldn't handle it. At 2-1 down we should have done it and gone for it. Pointless making the change on 85mins!!!!

Aye it was a shame, Grant was like a lost puppy .. didn't know what to do when we went 2-1 down, most managers would be on the sideline shouting instructions ... Grant just sat there ..

I suppose it's better then losing to Liverpool _again_ in the semis ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Chelsea + Tactically + Grant.

in the same sentence? weird

Still a few players, particularly Drogba who seemed convinced that falling on his ass at every opportunity was a good plan instead of trying to score goals, and wasting a number of chances that did come his way, and Lampard who went fairly quite in the second half.

Still expect Fenerbache to implode once they get this far west and chelsea to go through, ideally to meet Arsenal (who should have had a peno)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Schalke
    growler wrote: »
    ...... chelsea to go through, ideally to meet Arsenal

Just curious, are you a Chelsea fan or 'Neutral' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Liverpool go out purely to stiffle the opposition. They aren't interested in having a go or taking on Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever they get. They want to just nullify them and hopefully nick a goal.

Ah come on now, thats a bit rich coming from a Chelsea fan, considering your club won the premiership twice based on this approach;)

As for the games last night, I thought the first half was pretty even with Liverpool finishng the stronger. The second half they just didnt come out at all. Good defensively, yes, but Torres was so isolated in the second half. Rafa should have brought Crouch on with 25 mins to go. He'd have won a few of the high balls and held it up to bring others into play. The fact that Voronin came on says it all as far as I'm concerned about Crouch's future at the Pool. Looks like he'll be one of the first names out the door in the summer. Overall I'm happy with the result, evenly balanced at the moment but we do have that all important away goal.

Only saw the highlights of the Chelsea game and they should have had it wrapped up in the first half. Two quality goals from Fenerbache to give them the advantage going into the second leg. Trouble is Chelsea just dont lose at home, and will do enough to get through to the semi's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

dobsdave wrote: »
    Just curious, are you a Chelsea fan or 'Neutral' ?

I do believe Growler is a Chelsea fan..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

yom 1 wrote: »
    Ah come on now, thats a bit rich coming from a Chelsea fan, considering your club won the premiership twice based on this approach;)

Chelsea did not win the league with that approach. We won the league by grinding out results and playing our own (maybe not the most watchable) game. No matter who the opposition we played to our strenghts. Liverpool don't, they look at the other team and say right how can we kill this game. Its tragic to watch.

Growler I know. Chelsea, Grant and Tactics don't usually belong in the same sentance and I took a breath when typing it but good god will they ever just get rid of this man.

Deadskin, to say grant got his tactis wrong last night is a blatant disreguard to all good managers out there. Grant doesn't have tactics, doesn't know anything about them so you can't say he got them wrong :) Simply didn't have any!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement