Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

iregk wrote: »
    Chelsea did not win the league with that approach. We won the league by grinding out results and playing our own (maybe not the most watchable) game. No matter who the opposition we played to our strenghts. Liverpool don't, they look at the other team and say right how can we kill this game. Its tragic to watch.

Growler I know. Chelsea, Grant and Tactics don't usually belong in the same sentance and I took a breath when typing it but good god will they ever just get rid of this man.

Deadskin, to say grant got his tactis wrong last night is a blatant disreguard to all good managers out there. Grant doesn't have tactics, doesn't know anything about them so you can't say he got them wrong :) Simply didn't have any!!!!

You know what though ??

This loss to Fenerbache could be a good thing in the long run ..
    im sure Grant will go after this ...

yes Chelsea don't lose at home .. but i can see a 1-1 at SB ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Schalke
    jackdaw wrote: »
    I do believe Growler is a Chelsea fan..

Ok thanks, I was wondering why he didn't want Liverpool to qualify for the semi.
    I don't think Chelsea need worry about who qualifies in the other match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    I'd say Chelsea would prefer to play Liverpool, revenge and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Schalke
    PHB wrote: »
    I'd say Chelsea would prefer to play Liverpool, revenge and all that.

Yes but on the flip side,it also sets up a possibility of loosing three CL semi-finals to Liverpool at Anfield in four years.
    I think thats why the Chelsea fans on here would 'ideally' like to play Arsenal ?
    Or maybe its just the London bragging rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What was different from Rafas and Ferguson tactics?

Both away from home, doubled up on the opposition side attacks - Ferguson picked Park & Rooney to double back...

Both United and Liverpool went out to limit the goals conceded and to nick something in attack, just because United have better attacking options (and a better defence) doesn't mean that both teams weren't out for the same result.

It's knock-out cup football folks, no-one remembers the silky attacking football of a losing quarter finalist.

Schalke
    I'm with zabbo here, can't say I see a a huge difference in Euro away tactics between Rafa and Fergie. At home it's difference, Fergie will always try to impose Uniteds game onto the oppossition, while Rafa might still play tactical.
    Wenger does the same, played 4-5-1 the entire season they got to the final, especially in away matches where he made the team more destructive.
    It's what teams do in away matches in Europe. I don't like it, would prefer if it wasn't, but it is. I blame it mostly on the away goals rule personally.

Schalke
    I can't imagine anyone would argue it wasn't a penalty.

Except of course, Kuyt:
    "It's just a split second you have to decide.

"I didn't pull his shirt. It was never a penalty - but it was close."

"We did everything we could - we wanted to score and we did.

"After the goal, we came back in the game and had a few other little chances. They have a great performance, and we did everything we could.

"We have shown in European nights at Anfield we were really good and we hope we can do the same next week and go through to the semi-finals."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well in Dirk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I don't understand Chelsea fan's whining - they're second in the league and still in with a good shout for the semis of the CL.

Where did Mourinho finish last year and at what stage did he get in the CL? Is Grant not doing equally well?

btw, how ****ing good was that little move from the free kick last night?!

when Gerrard gave a signal and then played the ball to an unmarked Torres making a late run in from the right?

class

• Advertisement

Schalke
    Chelsea are where they are in the league because of their squad, not because of Grant. They have the best squad in the league imo, and should be a top. If Wenger or Fergie managed them, they would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Chelsea are where they are in the league because of their squad, not because of Grant. They have the best squad in the league imo, and should be a top. If Wenger or Fergie managed them, they would be.

Agree. They have possibly the best squad in the world if you ask me. Unbelievable dept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

iregk wrote: »

Regarding the liverpool arsenal game well from the highlights I watched Arsenal were robbed. What baffles me is one thing, Liverpool don't play their own game and this is what I hate about them and what I think a lot of other fans do. Arsenal go out to play ball, United go out to play ball, Liverpool go out purely to stiffle the opposition. They aren't interested in having a go or taking on Arsenal or Chelsea or whoever they get. They want to just nullify them and hopefully nick a goal.

As has been said. For the love of god I just hope Arsenal beat them.

At least you didn't stray beyond the realms of reality and suggest that Chelsea play ball!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mayordenis wrote: »
    i know none of us want to see another final like that stupid boring one in 2005, **** off liverpool. . .
    Well, as long as its a classic like 2007 we'll all be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Schalke

too right.
    you know somethings terribly wrong when u can afford to be schevchenko on the bench and ur still not top of the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Jazzy wrote: »
    too right.
    you know somethings terribly wrong when u can afford to be schevchenko on the bench and ur still not top of the league
    Not really. Shevchenko has been pants since he joined Chelsea. He's lucky to even make the bench. Reckon poor old Avram is getting a bit of a hard time here. His record since he's taken over has been pretty damn good.

Schalke
    Not in the big games. He's lost all of them bar the Arsenal game. People say he made the subs which made the difference, but bringing on another striker isn't exactly a tactical masterstroke, and the first goal was offside anyway.

I honestly don't think Grant is doing any better than anyone on here would.

surely that implies that Jose did **** all there last year so? If its the players that achieved 2nd and not the manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Not in the big games. He's lost all of them bar the Arsenal game. People say he made the subs which made the difference, but bringing on another striker isn't exactly a tactical masterstroke, and the first goal was offside anyway.

1st goal offside? Drogba wasn't offside was he? The other 2 might have been but would this not constitute the "not interfering with play" rule. And he hasn't lost many big games either. He beta Valencia away from home which was a cracking result. Beat Arsenal, drew with Pool.

His only poor results have been last night(and even with that they've got an away goal and will most probably qualify) the League Cup Final V Spurs and Barnsley in the cup. Lost to Utd but that was his 1st game and at OT so we should cut him a bit of slack for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

For once I agree with PHB. The chelsea squad is class and the players know what they need to do. They have the resources to keep themselves where they are. Its not down to AG, its down to the team. Hopefully in the summer we get a manager who actually knows about football and we can them have a good run at the title again.

A lot of it is due to the way he acts as well. When Chelsea were loosing or playing badly Jose was screaming at the players barking orders from the touchline. You could see him discuss tactics and such like with Clarke and Brito. What does AG do. Sit there with that stupid look on his face.

The bacardi and coke cup final said it all. Ramos made some half time changes and Grant didn't respond in any way at all. He sat there looking perplexed the whole second half. Who gave the ET team talk? John Terry. Why becasue Grant was wondering lost in his own world. Tell me what have you ever seen Wenger, Fergie or Benitez do that?

Again also last night. 1-1 take off Lampard (fair enough he has a bug) and bring on Obi. Why not bring in beletti and move Essien to the center. Tell you what, why not bring on Anelka for Lamps and go for it. 2-1 down he finally made the change when? 85mins in!!!!

Lets not ignore one fact either. 2-1 last night. How many goals did Chelsea score? 0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Advantage liverpool but i think that will suit Arsenal. Liverpool will sit back and try and nick one but i cant see Arsenal not scoring at Anfield. They are due a break at somestage!

Schalke
    Pighead wrote: »
    1st goal offside? Drogba wasn't offside was he?

Drogba was offside.
    Beat Valencia no doubt, but got lucky against Arsenal, and extremely lucky against pool.
    ****ed up against Spurs big time, ****ed up last night, ****ed up against Barnsley, was utterly outclassed against United, noticing a pattern here?

He's getting by on bad reffing, and an amazing squad.

United set the bar extremely high last year, and Chelsea were playing catch up the entire time. This year if I'm not mistaken, United are 7 points lower than they were at this point last year.
    This year, United had a terrible start, and Arsenal collapsed over the past 5 games, which is why Chelsea are still in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barca
    http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3379602,00.html
    Dirk Kuyt has admitted that he does know the referee who failed to give Arsenal a blatant penalty when he pulled back Alex Hleb during the Champions League quarter-final.

Crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Schalke
    from that ^^
    "I do know the referee. I played in Holland lots of times where he was the referee and he was the official when we played Feyenoord earlier this season. We both come from the same area. He comes from Leiden and that is the place where I grew up also.

Hang on...what?

A dutch official in a tie featuring a dutch team?

Does this happen often.

Apart from that, so what?

Has a Spanish ref never reffed Liverpool in Europe? He would have reffed the Spanish based players in La Liga before.

This is a total non-story imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bloody hell, I can't believe that. Arsenal were definitely robbed last night and that surely explains why. Disgraceful stuff.

• Advertisement

Robin Van Persie.

Schalke
    RVP is a good thing to point out actually.

The story is a crock of shít.

So, the ref got the call wrong.

Are UEFA supposed to check the village every single player is from?

Should the ref have been from a different country?

Germany - Lehman
    Spain - Liverpool
    France - Arsenal
    Ireland - Alan Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Schalke
    Mountain. Molehill. Good to have someone on the inside though. :D

he was from 5 miles from where Dirk grew up.

Am i abnormal for not knowing every person from the Baldoyle, Bayside, Sutton, Malahide, Portmarnock, Raheny, Harmonstown, Donaghmeade, Kilbarrack, Killester etc etc.?

this is a non-story.

Schalke
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    he was from 5 miles from where Dirk grew up.

Am i abnormal for not knowing every person from the Baldoyle, Bayside, Sutton, Malahide, Portmarnock, Raheny, Harmonstown, Donaghmeade, Kilbarrack, Killester etc etc.?

this is a non-story.

:(:(

You left out Coolock.

• Advertisement

Too many knackers there, its goes without saying i wouldnt know anyone from there ;)

Schalke
    Too many knackers there, its goes without saying i wouldnt know anyone from there ;)
    Jays, sorry mister, I forgot you were a posha from the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Barca
    It would have been a non story if it had not been for that penalty call, blatant wasnt the word, football karma is against Liverpool for once.

i dont live on the hill :)

and i was very obviously joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

as was I dude...the Kuyt story is completely OTT

i know you were.

you aint that brave ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Schalke

If only managing in real life was as easy as FM

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i am sorry but its not like managing in FM and managing a real team,
    first off he has clark and ten cate to do ALL of the actual coaching all he does is press and picking teams and making decisions and, thats just pure football knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

[QUOTE=mayordenis;all he does is ........picking teams and making decisions [/QUOTE]

which, unfortunately, aren't his strong points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

[QUOTE=mayordenis;all he does is ........picking teams and making decisions [/QUOTE]

which, unfortunately, aren't his strong points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Knackers in Malahide? Well I never! This shall adversely affect my inhereitence!
    150px-Villianc.svg.png
    nnnnYeeeeeeeesssssssss...............

So, Fenerbache versus FC Salke in the final?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Knackers in Malahide? Well I never! This shall adversely affect my inhereitence!
    150px-Villianc.svg.png
    nnnnYeeeeeeeesssssssss...............

i meant Coolock.

Malahide is nice. Its no Howth, but its alright ;)

Schalke
    i meant Coolock.
    Of course you did.

Posh Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Malahide is nice. Its no Howth, but its alright ;)

Damn Howth, stealin all our DARTs...

all your ****ing Darts!?!?!?

that line is only open a wet weekend, you should count yourself lucky you have any darts at all! ;)

Schalke
    Lads, there's a commuting and transport forum tbh. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Schalke
    Apparently Ronnie is out for 6 weeks. Thigh injury, pity he hasnt given any details on the other 25 weeks he's been out. :p

Still, sad to see this be the end to his career at Barca, he was the influential signing that marked a new era. For two seasons he was out of this world, and I thought if he kept it up he'd be better than Zidane. I hope he goes on and rekindles that form at another club because it was just awe inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

But he will probably be playing in the same team as Kaka and Pato next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Bubs101 wrote: »
    But he will probably be playing in the same team as Kaka and Pato next year

Seeing as they're all Brazilian, I'd presume so!:p

Advertisement