Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Silvio is desperate to get him and will be able to smuggle funds back into AC when he gets re-elected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Silvio is desperate to get him and will be able to smuggle funds back into AC when he gets re-elected

I think himself and Rijkaard are both gone at the end of the season and Barça would probably bite AC's proverbial hand off if an offer of €20-25+million came in for Ronaldinho. He's 28 in March, so this will probably be his last big move. I can see Madrid making a move for Kaka in the summer aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Schalke
    But if Milan don't make it into the CL, something which isn't hugely unlikely, I can see Kaka becoming availible!

If that happens, it will be the first real test as to whether or not the premiership is actually the best league in the world in players minds.
    United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool would all be after him, Chelsea would bid crazy money, but Kaka wouldn't go there, so it'd be up to Arsenal, Liverpool and United to fork out the 40 million pounds and convince him his future lies there, ahead of both Barca and Madrid, who would do everything in their power to get him, Madrid probably even outbidding Chelsea.

I'd love to see Milan not get 4th just to see that go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

PHB wrote: »
    , Chelsea would bid crazy money, but Kaka wouldn't go there,

why not?

Schalke
    Cause Chelsea play crap boring football.

--

So, added a poll, what do people think :)

I think Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Barca will go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Schalke
    went for chelsea, liverpool, man utd and barca. Can't see anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

Schalke
    I thinks arsenal will pip liverpool tbh, then fenerbache, utd and barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Schalke
    Kick-off's not until 3.45am over here, but I can't think about anything else!

There is nothing like a European night at Anfield. First goal will be crucial. If Arsenal go ahead, we're in for a very nervy night. I do think that Arsenal have been through the wars though, and they wont be 100% mentally or physically.

Chelsea are in a tricky situation. Fenerbache are gonna go for the jugular, and with Chelsea needing a goal, coupled with Cech out injured, I can see Fenerbache hitting them on the break. If I had to choose a winner, I'd just about go for Chelsea, but it's very, very close.

The Barca - Shalke tie is as good as over. If Shalke had beat them in Germany they'd be favourites, but the Nou Camp is a tough place to go needing a win. Even though they're not firing on all cylinders, Barca have enough about them to go through. Bojan to score again?

The Man Yoo - Roma tie has become a lot more interesting now that Ferdinand and Vidic are out. Could we see a repeat of the comedy defending in the second leg of the Milan tie last year? Despite the injuries, I think Man Utd have done enough to see themselves through. Roma will miss Totti, and needing a win wont suit their style of play.

My semi-finals:

Liverpool - Chelsea (yawn!)
    Man Utd - Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

But if Milan don't make it into the CL, something which isn't hugely unlikely, I can see Kaka becoming availible!

If that happens, it will be the first real test as to whether or not the premiership is actually the best league in the world in players minds.
    United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool would all be after him, Chelsea would bid crazy money, but Kaka wouldn't go there, so it'd be up to Arsenal, Liverpool and United to fork out the 40 million pounds and convince him his future lies there, ahead of both Barca and Madrid, who would do everything in their power to get him, Madrid probably even outbidding Chelsea.

I'd love to see Milan not get 4th just to see that go down.

Any chance Kaka and Ronaldinho will head in opposite directions??? I am still not sure that he would come to England regardless of the money.. He does speak good English though and isn't as 'flakey' as some Brazillians so doesn't mind a mildly physical game but in England he would surely get kicked to fcuk to stop him destrying teams..

If an English team win the CL they would probably be in a position where he might go to them, providing they have the money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Schalke
    Liverpool, fenerbache, utd and barca were my picks to go through.

• Advertisement

Schalke
    Jesus christ lads, why has everyone predicted United!! That never happens.
    Vidic and Ferdinand are out for crying out loud, surely somebody wants to balance out the tempting fateness :)

---

As for Kaka,
    I don't see Barca paying that much money for one player. It's just not in their philosophy as a club.

Personally, I think only United and Arsenal have a shot to get him.
    I don't think Liverpool could afford to spunk all their money on a player in the one position they have somebody to compare him with, Gerrard, especially when the club is so desperate in other areas such as on the wings.

Arsenal apparently have a huge amount of money, and Kaka has said he really likes the way Arsenal play football, and said the same thing about United.
    United don't have a huge amount of money, but I'd imagine with Kaka, the marketing would pay for itself. That said, I'm not sure how Fergie would play him?
    Best I can think of is

Rooney
    --Tevez
    Kaka
    Ronaldo-

but thats a little light on the tracking back, although Kaka does track back more than Ronaldo.

Nonetheless, we're all living in dream land hoping he'll come :) Still would be amazed if he leaves Milan, I think they have to not get CL for him even to consider it, and then, would be more amazed if he came to England over Spain.
    I think you are right though, 3 English teams in the semis, and an all English semi final would do a lot to convince him that England are in an age of dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Schalke
    Kick-off's not until 3.45am over here, but I can't think about anything else!

There is nothing like a European night at Anfield. First goal will be crucial. If Arsenal go ahead, we're in for a very nervy night. I do think that Arsenal have been through the wars though, and they wont be 100% mentally or physically.

Chelsea are in a tricky situation. Fenerbache are gonna go for the jugular, and with Chelsea needing a goal, coupled with Cech out injured, I can see Fenerbache hitting them on the break. If I had to choose a winner, I'd just about go for Chelsea, but it's very, very close.

The Barca - Shalke tie is as good as over. If Shalke had beat them in Germany they'd be favourites, but the Nou Camp is a tough place to go needing a win. Even though they're not firing on all cylinders, Barca have enough about them to go through. Bojan to score again?

The Man Yoo - Roma tie has become a lot more interesting now that Ferdinand and Vidic are out. Could we see a repeat of the comedy defending in the second leg of the Milan tie last year? Despite the injuries, I think Man Utd have done enough to see themselves through. Roma will miss Totti, and needing a win wont suit their style of play.

My semi-finals:

Liverpool - Chelsea (yawn!)
    Man Utd - Barca

pretty much exactly what i would have said man, spot on.

except for the yawn ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool

Reina Carragher Skrtel Hyypia Aurelio Gerrard Alonso Mascherano Kuyt Torres Crouch
    Substitutes Itandje Riise Voronin Benayoun Arbeloa Babel Lucas

Arsenal

Almunia Toure Gallas Senderos Clichy Eboue Flamini Fabregas Diaby Hleb Adebayor
    Substitutes Lehmann Van Persie Song Silva Bendtner Hoyte Walcott

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

1-0 to arse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Schalke
    Can anyone tell me why Adebayor always gives the net in the goal tug before a corner? He does in every game for every corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

deserved goal from arsenal, looking far more positive.

Some of the best passing play I've seen them put together in a long time.

Schalke
    God I love watching Arsenal play they play such nice tight football its a dream to watch.

If Liverpool don't get Gerrard into the middle soon, Liverpool lose another goal or two.

Apparently theres "twenty-two and a half hundred Arsenal fans at the game" according to Hamilton.

What a mong! Where did he learn to speak English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Get in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go on Hyypia!

Schalke
    Top corner stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

undeserved but it happens. Awful marking but take nothing from the header. Still think arsenal will go through if their heads don't drop too much after that.

completely against the run of play but that's the game, arsenal have played them off the park. game on!

Doubt it. Liverpool will win this game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Schalke
    Well wenger can only blame himself. That sendoras has been a poor player all season when he steps in - awful.
    Yellow card early, crouch bullying him then lets hyypia get a free header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pigman II wrote: »
    Doubt it. Liverpool will win this game now.

Don't get carried away. 1 goal from Arsenal and Liverpool need 2. Even another goal from Liverpool won't settle it by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Schalke
    Arsenal have been giving the ball away ever since Liverpool scored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jesus it's fairly dangerous being a Chelsea keeper. They must have changed keepers more than the rest of the Pl combined this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Schalke
    Can someone please explain to me why Steven Gerrard is so highly rated?

At a guess, I'd say that he only completes about 25% of his crosses and passes. Dreadful.

Can someone please explain to me why Steven Gerrard is so highly rated?

He's English and scores lots of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Schalke
    Cause Chelsea play crap boring football.
    So do Milan (without Kaka at least!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm drained already. (is boards.ie a bit sticky this eveing?)

Ther formation is not working, Gerrard is not where he needs to be and his passing is bleugh.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Flamini for Gilberto is a big loss.

Benetiz messed up his team selection though. Second half should be a better Liverpool performance if he has any clue about his team.

I'd have worries about a Senderos - Gilberto spined team, but I'm still thinking Arsenal will go through (which probably means Liverpool will).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Schalke
    Delighted, this is great from a neutral stand point.

Is Philippe Senderos some sort of prize-winning slogan writer?

Is that how he plays for Arsenal? :confused:

Actually I'm switching to Pool now. Arsenal can't deal with the longball and I think they'll concede on the counter.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Gerrard liking to take a dive a strong breeze would knock Torres over.

Crouch Liverpool's best player so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does Hamilton ever turn his poxy phone off? It has to be him because I've heard it loads of times, at Ireland games too.

Schalke
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Does Hamilton ever turn his poxy phone off? It has to be him because I've heard it loads of times, at Ireland games too.
    I was wondering about that. Lollerific. Crouch is a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

PSI wrote: »
    Arsenal can't deal with the longball and I think they'll concede on the counter.

The longball is the counter-attack.

:pac::pac::pac:

The RTE commentators are a joke. Actually rephrase to john Giles' commentary is a joke.

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    The longball is the counter-attack.

:pac::pac::pac:

For Liverpool, yes, that was pretty much my point.

Giles is a joke. At least other commentators judge the game by todays standards. He talks about the game like it's still 1972.

Schalke
    Get in!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

An excellent finish from torres 2-1 to liverpool.

Alluding to my previous point, Torres also scores lots of goals but isn't English.

Despite that handicap, he is world class however.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That really should have been 2-2 there

Adebayor is a donkey

Schalke
    Senderos??? Seriously have Arsenal not got a better center back than him???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Schalke
    Torres-Finisher

Adebayor-Waster

They do, but he plays for Man City and Professor Yaffel is to blind to see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement