Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny & Waterford forums

Options
  • 01-04-2008 1:53am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Iv been meaning to post about this. I spoke with Vex and DeV sometime ago about the possiblilty that the Kilkenny and Waterford "We are a city!" debate might be completely wrong. I know we agreed to ignore it, sorry Stephen!, but I felt the need to bring some points to the admins.

A good friend is a lawyer and deals with a lot of big cases in Ireland. Id prefer not to mention his name, or firm (for privacy reasons) but we got talking about the whole issue of is KK a city or not, etc. He cast doubt that the law on Kilkenny was ever meant to be interputed the way it is (like many people) and that Waterford City does not meet full standards under European law to classify itself as a "city". The latter is something I never heard before, and I asked him to look into it a bit more.

A few days ago, he came back with some interesting results. Under EU law, KK is a "Village" and Waterford would be a "Town". Apparently the Irish laws are outdated and were never corrected, but the European laws are not really enforced. This might explain the Minister not coming forward and explaining the strange laws surrouding the issues (in Ireland like).

So.. comments? I aint heard anything back from the admins so this might serve as a reminder!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Adjustments to comply with Part b. Article 7 of the Lisbon treaty have been effected.

I would point out that as the Treaty refered to KillKenny (SP.) as a village, opinion suggests that it remain as a City. I have re-instated City Status on Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Vexorg wrote: »
    I have re-instated City Status on Kilkenny.

Wow, boards admins are more powerful than I thought.

PSI wrote: »
    Wow, boards admins are more powerful than I thought.

Oh yes, yes we are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's more than a tad scarey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't think it matters Sully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With that done can Limerick be officially be designated a "Kip"

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might as well put a warning on Limerick to :p

Advertisement