Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registering a car with no Documentation

Options
  • 01-04-2008 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Long story short;
    a fella buys a new jap import from the docks, seller takes his details and says he'll vrt the car and send him off the tax book. It never comes, the buyer cant contact the seller anymore. (yes, he feels like a tit)
    So the car is sitting for the last few months with no plates and no VRT paid and most importantly no documentation (needed to registrar car).

He's now trying to get the car registered.
    Has anyone ever went about it? or knows it can be done? or whats in evolved?
    This fella reckons it can be done and explained the process to me, but i have my doubts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Did he pay cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, for all we/VRO knows the car could be stolen from UK.
    If it was an Irish car it could be chased down somehow but foreign, I can't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah paid cash.

I agree, it could be stolen. Another reason why the VRO wont just registrar it without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The "car" is the chassis so the rest (engine, interior, tyres) can be sold separately. However, without owner/papers you can't really do much with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Could you not find out if it's been stolen from the VIN, assuming that hasn't been tampered with? Though you will need to find out what country it actually came from...

• Advertisement

the car was first registered in Japan (only country the car was sold in), but could have been in uk, cyprus, etc.

Seen it was bought from the docks, i'd guess it was just off the boat from Japan and the importer lost the doc's, but thats just speculation.
    I'll know how the buyer gets on this week and i'll post the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You can get a form from the DOE in Shannon in case a seller doesn't forward the logbook to them. A main dealer will have to verify the VIN and a peace commissioner has to witness your declaration. I wonder if you can do this and pay the VRT afterwards. If you know any cops they might be able to run a check on the VIN as well to see if it's dodgy or not. If the car doesn't come up as stolen or cloned there must be a way to legally register it.

You can get a form from the DOE in Shannon in case a seller doesn't forward the logbook to them. A main dealer will have to verify the VIN and a peace commissioner has to witness your declaration. I wonder if you can do this and pay the VRT afterwards.

yeah thats pretty much what he was told to do, then pay vrt afterwards.
    but if it was stolen in any other country, other than Ireland, would a vin number check bring that up? probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well checking the VIN with the resptective authorities in each country might result in something if it is stolen, but as I said the trouble is finding out which country. I wouldn't be surprised if Interpol or someone like them could help you with this. It's not like dodgy used JDM cars are unheard of.

Advertisement