Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I have to pay this much over the odds for a domain name?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 8:10am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This time last year a very special domain name came up for sale. Not a .com or a .ie - something quite different (an African Country) but perfect for what I wanted it for.

This domain had expired and was close to the month you had to wait until someone else could renew. The registry of the country that the domain is from were charging €40 for one year - but they were being pretty strange in their replies to my questions, so I thought it best to ask my existing Irish Host could they register it. They were very helpful in making sure the domain was bought on my behalf as soon as it was available. They billed me €99 + vat - way more than the €40 inc vat the countries own price - but as I was so delighted to get the domain I didn't mind paying it at the time.

Now it's up for renewal and they want another €99+vat. Really I think this is excessive. What do you think?

I'm going to write to them asking to reconsider the invoice price. Hopefully they will re-issue with a more reasonable offer. I don't mind a business making a profit, but this is almost three times the price of what is available elsewhere.

Comments appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I suppose if it is a moderated/restricted country domain name like .ie, the country's equvalent of the IEDR are entitled to set a higher price for the related admin. Have you tried to find a domain reseller for that country with an English language website, so you can check the going rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You could transfer the domain name to another reseller with a cheaper price

Advertisement