Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grim Fandango

Options
  • 01-04-2008 9:21am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Have had this in my collection for years now and have never got around to playing it.

Decided to boot it up on a whim and it ran no problem in Vista(switched to Windows 95 compatibility mode).

My thoughts - looks absolutely incredible, for a game released 10 years ago it holds up extremely well today. Amazing voice acting too.
    Gameplay wise, it's ok, I'm not used to the puzzle solving methods(not a big point and click man) so I'm gone to the FAQs already :(

Still, it's an incredible looking world and I'll persavere. I'll have to resist going to gamefaqs. i'm sure I'll get better as the puzzles as my mind adjusts to the style.

Anyone else play it? opinions? Retr0gamer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I was going to post but see this is only directed at Retrogamer.....

I have this too and went to install it last night but went for The Longest Journey instead, purely because I had played GF a bit before.

The Longest Journey is a similar style of point and click puzzle game but its amazing how crap at it I am. I've been brain-washed by FPSs and strategy games that put everything in front of you. Pretty early on I had to go to gamefaqs. I just got frustrated at not figuring out what I needed to do instantly. Once I get around that mental block I'd say I'll enjoy it!

ps. what resolution are you running Grim Fandango at? The Longest Journey seems to be stuck at 640x480.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't played this one yet but I have been bold and not played nearly enough Lucas Arts adventure games. It's a game I would love to play since I've heard nothing but great things about it and I adored Monkey Island 1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't played it in a few years but I do remember the graphics and sound being very high-quality for the time. It's the kind of game that doesn't require eye candy so it ages well unlike say Quake 1 or Quake 2 which came out around the same time if I remember correctly.
    Regarding the story it's funny, engaging and original. In my opinion it's not the best of those Lucasarts point and click adventures but that's not really a bad thing given the strength of the competition :). It's still a game well worth playing if you like that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

"Year 2" of Grim Fandango is possibly one of my most favourite gaming experiences ever.

I'd gladly fund Pixar every cent that I have to see it made into a film.

(*May or may not be an exaggeration*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

ohhh..

wohhhh..

BONEWAGON!

glottiscar.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

By the way, if you like p'n'c adventures with serious eye candy, check out Syberia. Not as much fun as GF, but it's full of very nice pre-rendered backgrounds and character animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

quarryman wrote: »
    I was going to post but see this is only directed at Retrogamer.....

I have this too and went to install it last night but went for The Longest Journey instead, purely because I had played GF a bit before.

The Longest Journey is a similar style of point and click puzzle game but its amazing how crap at it I am. I've been brain-washed by FPSs and strategy games that put everything in front of you. Pretty early on I had to go to gamefaqs. I just got frustrated at not figuring out what I needed to do instantly. Once I get around that mental block I'd say I'll enjoy it!

ps. what resolution are you running Grim Fandango at? The Longest Journey seems to be stuck at 640x480.

I'm playing the sequel to TLJ at the moment, Dreamfall TLJ. It has quite a good story although i feel i'm missing some of the enjoyment by not having played the first in the series. The gameplay is just ok. Puzzles are very simple really. The fighting sections in it are very badly done and i wish they left them out. They don't need to put in combat into these games. Its about the storyline and the puzzles. But since theres not much else around recently on the point and click scene its worth playing as well.

OP: Never played GF. I have heard good things about it though. I played the two Indy Jones lucas arts games years ago but thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I haven't played this one yet but I have been bold and not played nearly enough Lucas Arts adventure games. It's a game I would love to play since I've heard nothing but great things about it and I adored Monkey Island 1 and 2.

For shame if you haven't played Monkey Island 3. :eek:
    I played Grim Fandango years ago and thought it was great but I remember getting stuck a lot. A lot. Still a great game, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I had Grim Fandango when it was a new release and found it damn hard but I was only a spotty teenager back then :) I actually still have it here, I'm quite tempted to install it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there wasn't a single bad lucasarts game in the 90's, and grim fandango was no exception.

• Advertisement

What a pity they turned into a bunch of star wars franchise whores in the naughties :(

Bugger. It won't install on Vista 64 bit, even in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Edit: Ah, good old Uncle Google :)http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

The LucasArts games were and still is my favourite games ever made. From Day of the Tentacle to Monkey Island (owned and completed 1through4, though 2 and 3 were my favourites!) and Grim Fandango was my favourite of them all.
    I've never awwed at the end of a game before, when the 2 of them were on the train, heading to the next life
    As weird as it sounds, I've never felt as empty before when I completed a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The LucasArts games were and still is my favourite games ever made. From Day of the Tentacle to Monkey Island (owned and completed 1through4, though 2 and 3 were my favourites!) and Grim Fandango was my favourite of them all.
    I've never awwed at the end of a game before, when the 2 of them were on the train, heading to the next life
    As weird as it sounds, I've never felt as empty before when I completed a game.

I agree, Grim Fandango left me "empty" with that ending.
    Speechless game even to this day.
    Might re-visit it 10 years on:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I started playing it recently for the first time. Its great! Im on year 2 at the moment.

Its very very hard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone know where i might be able to pick up a copy, i assume it's not being pressed anymore?

Can't think of anywhere besides ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah Ebay would probably be the best bet.

Went to dig my copy out a few weeks ago to play it again, but my disk 1 has gone missing :(

I definitely remember seeing a copy in HMV on Grafton Street a few weeks ago.

Plus, there's the possibility that some bargain bins somewhere might have it.

*As a side note, flicking through t.v. a while back I recognised the voice of the character of Ugly Betty's dad in the show. It's Manuel Calavera!*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I have to say I thought nearly all the other LucasArts point and clickers were better games in terms of how they played. Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, that motorbike one that I can't remember the name of right now.

It is a well realised world with some charming moments but as a game...let's just say it left me wanting.

• Advertisement

JCDenton wrote: »
    As a side note, flicking through t.v. a while back I recognised the voice of the character of Ugly Betty's dad in the show. It's Manuel Calavera!*
    :D I might actually have to watch an episode of that to see if I recognise the voice too!
    Cremo wrote: »
    anyone know where i might be able to pick up a copy, i assume it's not being pressed anymore?
    It's available on Amazon so maybe it's not completely out of print yet.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    I have to say I thought nearly all the other LucasArts point and clickers were better games in terms of how they played. Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, that motorbike one that I can't remember the name of right now.
    That'd be Full Throttle. I have to say I preferred the games you mentioned too but that doesn't make Grim Fandango a bad game. For me it scores something like 80/100 instead of 90/100 like Monkey Island, Day of The Tentacle and Sam and Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Lucasarts could do no wrong in the 90's.

The pirate song in monkey island 3 is just ****ing GOLD.

*pirates are singing and rhyming away*
    Guybrush: "we'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an..ORANGE"
    *pitates mumble something about a door hinge*

:D

Ive gotten as far as year 4 in GF but never finished it. I really should someday.
    Lucasarts adventures ive palyed, id rank thusly

Monkey Island 1
    Monkey Island 3
    Grim Fandango
    Indiana Jones and the last crusade
    DOTT
    Monkey Island 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

bigup to Steven for the x64 installer :pac:

Thanks to all this GF talk I'm on the look for it.

It is a well realised world with some charming moments but as a game...let's just say it left me wanting.

Those early point-and-click Lucasarts games had some mind-meltingly difficult puzzles. There is genuinely no way I could have gotten though Day of the Tentacle without getting help with some of that abstract weirdness.

Grim Fandango is far more accesable, and stands the test of time better than the others (yes yes, I know it's also a lot newer than Sam & Max, DotT etc.), and, I thought it had a more cohesive and interesting story.

I cared more about the characters in G.F. than their previous games, and, pardon the pun, but I thought they were a lot more "3-dimensional".

0ubliette wrote: »
    Lucasarts could do no wrong in the 90's.

The pirate song in monkey island 3 is just ****ing GOLD.

*pirates are singing and rhyming away*
    Guybrush: "we'll surely avoid scurvy if we all eat an..ORANGE"
    *pitates mumble something about a door hinge*

I have no idea why, but I went looking for this myself last week...

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/MI3-CD2/04%20-%20A%20Pirate%20I%20Was%20Meant%20to%20Be.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

malice_ wrote: »
    That'd be Full Throttle. I have to say I preferred the games you mentioned too but that doesn't make Grim Fandango a bad game. For me it scores something like 80/100 instead of 90/100 like Monkey Island, Day of The Tentacle and Sam and Max.

Yeah, Full Throttle. I'm not saying it's bad, just not as mind blowingly good as a lot of people would have you believe.
    Those early point-and-click Lucasarts games had some mind-meltingly difficult puzzles. There is genuinely no way I could have gotten though Day of the Tentacle without getting help with some of that abstract weirdness.

Yeah, I know; I finished the original Monkey Island without access to the interent. It's actually a lot more rewarding play games that way. But Grim Fandango is far from free of these little doozies; there were two or three times I found myself reaching for a guide to get me through.
    Grim Fandango is far more accesable, and stands the test of time better than the others (yes yes, I know it's also a lot newer than Sam & Max, DotT etc.), and, I thought it had a more cohesive and interesting story.

Objectively, it probably is a better story but my criticism is of how it plays.
    I cared more about the characters in G.F. than their previous games, and, pardon the pun, but I thought they were a lot more "3-dimensional".

I personally found characters in everything bar The Dig more sympathetic. Something about his plight in GF never really clicked with me. I think this was as much to do with weight of expectations as anything (Grim Fandango comes with a lot of hype).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I know exactly what you mean, I really wanted 'Mannie', Glottis to win through in the end et al to win through in the end, like I was genuinely going to be effected by the outcome!

And I'd rank the games:

Monkey Island 1,
    Grim Fandango,
    Monkey Island 2,
    Sam and Max Hit The Road,
    Monkey Island 3,
    Day of the Tentacle,
    Monkey Island 4

Objectively, it probably is a better story but my criticism is of how it plays.

What's wrong with how it plays?
    I think this was as much to do with weight of expectations as anything (Grim Fandango comes with a lot of hype).

What hype?

From what I remember, it plays differently because you need to physically move the main character around the screen, navigating obstacles as you go whereas in Monkey Island etc. you simply point and click and the character walks to that point themselves.

With regard to the hype comment, I don't remember it getting any undeserved hype. Certainly it was highly-anticipated but I don't think it disappointed anyone when it arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The control system in Grim Fandango is awful.
    It uses a "tank" system like the original Resident Evil.
    I plugged in a controller but it made things worse. Back on keyboard now.

BTW, I absolutely suck at the game. I can't resist the temptation to go to gamefaqs every single new task.

Advertisement