Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grim Fandango

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jayteecork wrote: »
    The control system in Grim Fandango is awful.
    It uses a "tank" system like the original Resident Evil.
    I plugged in a controller but it made things worse. Back on keyboard now.

BTW, I absolutely suck at the game. I can't resist the temptation to go to gamefaqs every single new task.

You can change the control system from perspective of the character to your prospective. I prefer the default controls though.

Thats my problem with the game as well. Some parts are so hard that I tend to just go to GAMEFAQs.

What bit are you stuck on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

JCDenton wrote: »
    What's wrong with how it plays?

Someone else mentioned the control system though I wouldn't mark that as a major point against it. I guess the puzzles just didn't appeal to me; I found them either too obvious or too obscure. That's just me; your milage may vary. Also found there was a higher dialogue to puzzle solving ratio in this game.
    JCDenton wrote: »
    What hype?

By the time I bought it it was recognised by many as a dyed in the wool classic. I'm talking about gamers talking it up rather than industry hype here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

One of my absolute favourite games ever. I finished it for the third time not long ago and I'll probably play it again sometime soon. I love nearly all of those 90's lucasarts games, the only one's I never bothered to finish were Monkey Island 4 and The Dig.

Anyone that likes point n click games I highly recommend "A tale of Two Kingdoms" I can't believe I only discoverd this game last week, it's excellent so far, and best of all it's free.
    Cremo wrote: »
    anyone know where i might be able to pick up a copy, i assume it's not being pressed anymore?

Believe it or not I saw a few copies of it in Navan just before christmas, they also had The Dig and a couple of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

oh man, that was a good game. and damn stylish. (really really hard!!)

I havent played it since it first came out but ive fond memories.
    I could definitely go for some pan de la muerte!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

kaimera wrote: »
    bigup to Steven for the x64 installer :pac:

Thanks to all this GF talk I'm on the look for it.

It installs it alright but its not very playable :(

In my case it seems to randomly freeze and crash. If its not doing that the sound will randomly stop working. I have another cunning solution up my sleeve though :D

I've got Windows 98 running in a virtual machine using MS VirtualPC 2007 and it seems to work fine on that. 3D hardware acceleration obviously doesn't work in that environment but a modern PC has way more than enough horsepower to run it in software.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stephen wrote: »
    It installs it alright but its not very playable :(

In my case it seems to randomly freeze and crash. If its not doing that the sound will randomly stop working. I have another cunning solution up my sleeve though :D

I've got Windows 98 running in a virtual machine using MS VirtualPC 2007 and it seems to work fine on that. 3D hardware acceleration obviously doesn't work in that environment but a modern PC has way more than enough horsepower to run it in software.
    Arse.

I'll try it this evening and get back to ya.

Tho I have a win2k work lappy that it should run on!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Try installing the patch. It should be somewhere on http://www.grim-fandango.com

I have a Vista laptop only a few months old and Grim. works perfectly when I installed the patch and ran it on Windows 95 compatibility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Big fan of the lucasarts adventure games ( I could write walkthroughs for the first two monkey island games from memory) but never really got into Grim Fandango because of the controls. Seemed likes such a step backwards going from mouse control to keyboard control.

Monkey Island 4 was complete crap. Never even bothered finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Weses

Oh I sure do remember my brother playing this game while I was watching. I was just a little kid... He was angry if he saw me playing because I might have saved over his saves. The game brings back great memories. I'd loved to get the CD again. If only I could find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

now now i have always admiring the Monkey island series and this Grim Fandango...defo trying to get them!
    but can anyone tell how hard is the puzzle in them??like compare to old zelda games?that may 'motivate' me to dig them on ebay...tough work i guess..

• Advertisement

Some of the puzzles can be ridiculously hard (the end of Monkey Island 2 drove me mental). Full Throttle I think would be the easiest of them.

Not with my box of bunnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I love Grim Fandango! I play it when it first came out, so I don't remember too many of the puzzles (must play it again!)

I'm a BIG fan of the Lucasarts adventures, and I think I've played all of them!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I played GF when it first came out, but got hopelessly stuck quite early on and left it. I bought it again about 5 years ago and finally finished it about a year after that. I'd put it above Sam n Max for playability and the maturity of the title (love Sam n Max but it was soooo silly)
    JCDenton :
    Those early point-and-click Lucasarts games had some mind-meltingly difficult puzzles. There is genuinely no way I could have gotten though Day of the Tentacle without getting help with some of that abstract weirdness.
    Oh man, did anyone send away for the tip booklet Lucasarts gave out for DOTT? I think a stamped address envelope to some address in the UK would get you this booklet of solutions. I got it when I was completely stuck on the whole "wake up Dr Fred" shenanigans. Ah the days before gamefaqs.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

GF is my favourite ever, I must have completed it 20 times by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So i've started playing this again properly (thanks for the reminder OP!) and enjoying it thoroughly.

Minor quibbles:

Invisible walls, since you need to direct the main character yourself with the keyboard it can be frustrating moving around since you are doing all the path-finding yourself.

Getting stuck. I haven't used a walkthrough yet but at a brick wall at the moment at the gate near the tar pit. There is nothing i can interact with that seems to get me progress. I've tried everything in my inventory, no joy.

Not looking for hints! Just annoying getting stuck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Woo! GF appreciation thread!
    One of my favorite games ever, fantastic story and voice acting, characters, not to mention the soundtrack... defining childhood memories right there, struggling with some of those hard as nails puzzles.

Quarryman - i got stuck there too. The solution is so off the wall I reckon you'll need to take some mind-altering drugs to figure it out without using a FAQ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

on Vista x64 if I enable HW Acceleration I get graphic corruption.

Seems to be fine without it. Haven't played much.

Me too. But it keeps freezing/crashing on me on Vista x64 so I'm currently going with the Win98 virtual machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

quarryman wrote: »
    So i've started playing this again properly (thanks for the reminder OP!) and enjoying it thoroughly.

Minor quibbles:

Invisible walls, since you need to direct the main character yourself with the keyboard it can be frustrating moving around since you are doing all the path-finding yourself.

Getting stuck. I haven't used a walkthrough yet but at a brick wall at the moment at the gate near the tar pit. There is nothing i can interact with that seems to get me progress. I've tried everything in my inventory, no joy.

Not looking for hints! Just annoying getting stuck :)

Very very slight hint. In fact, I'd barely call it a hint but I'll spoiler it anyway.
    Nothing that have in your inventory previously will help you. Theres is an item to pick up in the nearby area that will help you.

Damn hard game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Tusky wrote: »
    Very very slight hint. In fact, I'd barely call it a hint but I'll spoiler it anyway.
    Nothing that have in your inventory previously will help you. Theres is an item to pick up in the nearby area that will help you.

Damn hard game.

thanks for that, i was about to ask someone for a hint.

EDIT: Got it! That required out of the box thinking!

I need to check though:
    I've used the fire extinguisher and the bones to kill the little flame guys. Are you saying the item i need is something other than the bone?
    I don't want the answer, just want to check that we're talking about the same part.

Advertisement