Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagle Owl....

• 01-04-2008 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Has any body seen the report in todays Irish Times about an eagle owl caught by falconers in Kenmare? A friend of mine texted me about it but I have not got the paper today yet.

The first thing I thought was "April Fool"... I think the word of an eagle owl would have filtered out to the birding community if it did exist.

I won't get a paper until this evening so if any nice Boardsie can provide a link I would be very grateful. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

boneless wrote: »
    Has any body seen the report in todays Irish Times about an eagle owl caught by falconers in Kenmare? A friend of mine texted me about it but I have not got the paper today yet.

The first thing I thought was "April Fool"... I think the word of an eagle owl would have filtered out to the birding community if it did exist.

I won't get a paper until this evening so if any nice Boardsie can provide a link I would be very grateful. :)

One of the few advantages of working where I work :)

Kenmare's new resident owl captured

ANNE LUCEY

OFFICERS OF the National Parks and Wildlife Service are trying to trace the owners of a giant predatory owl, which has been captured to prevent it from swooping on walkers and tourists in Kenmare.

The eagle owl, which took up residence in an old sawmill in the town, was captured by falconers at the invitation of the parks service after complaints from walkers, who felt the bird was getting too close for comfort. Other locals said they would miss the bird.

With a wingspan of two metres, the brown-and-white owl, sometimes known as the European owl, is the largest and most powerful owl in Europe. As big as a medium-sized dog, the male owl had been a source of fascination and fear in the Kerry town since it took up residence there some weeks ago.

In recent days, the owl had begun perching on lampposts near restaurants and hooting through the night, disturbing sleepers.

Several people reported narrow brushes with the bird, whose species is known to attack humans.

In one instance, it swooped on a woman's mobile phone as she held it out to allow a friend hear its hoots. The owl may have thought she was a falconer holding out food, according to the wildlife service.

BirdWatch Ireland development officer Niall Hatch said the Kenmare owl was almost certainly an escapee, or was deliberately released into the wild.

Mr Hatch warned against approaching or handling eagle owls, whose large claws can rip through human flesh.They prey on cats, dogs, mice and other birds.

Kenmare shopkeeper Johnny O'Connell said the "massive bird" took a particular shine to him, landing twice on his head and responding to his calls. "There had been a lot of reports of the bird approaching people but there were no injuries. Women in particular were afraid." The shop owner said he had got used to the bird - "I hooted to him and he hooted back" - and would miss him.

Falconers using bait finally succeeded in luring him into a cage. Efforts are now being made to identify the owner of the owl, which was ringed.

Eagle owls, which are not native to Ireland or the UK, have begun breeding again in the English Pennines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It sounds plausible until you read the bit about it going for the mobile and perching on heads... is it a wind-up?:confused:

Oh, and thanks Roen... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

I saw this today as well. I don't know if anyone saw a show on BBC a few months ago about a pair of Eagle Owls breeding in Yorkshire but magnificent creatures. Here's an artice about it on the BBC from a while ago http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/4436122.stm

I saw that program. It was really fantastic. I have observed the eagle owl in Poland and Latvia and have been close to one once at a falconary show. They are massive birds.

Oh, and the story is looking more plausible now. There is also, I believe, an article in the Indo too. I must have had my owl radar removed recently... :)

Where (if it's ok to say) did you see Eagle Owls in Latvia Boneless? I've been there a few times now and travelled about a bit.

• Advertisement

It was in the forests about 50 km outside Riga. We were actually going to visit the site of the Riga concentration camp when the guide pointed them out to us. There were a pair and it was early March, snow and ice on the ground... really emotional to see them as we were a bit subdued because of where we were going. They are rare enough around those parts I think, or at least were then.

Cheers Boneless. I'll be sure to keep an eye out if I'm out that way again. I was always there mid-winter so everything was under quite a lot of snow and it was hard to spot anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭skydancer

Hiya
    Yeah when I heard it I assumed it to be true as it sounded so (esp with Niall Hatch on), then when I got home other half pointed out that the rte website was suggesting otherwise -
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland_index.html
    (scroll through the 'In Depth' section top right to 3/4)- so now I dunno...

It is true so. I didn't hear a wee bit of news about it. I would have made the trip to Kerry to see it.

Advertisement