Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human Rights...we barely knew ye?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

http://www.iheu.org/node/3123

Has this been mentioned anywhere in a syndicated Irish/British news source? I had a quick search on google and couldn't find anything(however, I'm aware google is not all encompassing).

Either way, when I seen this initially, I was hoping it was an April Fool's, it's pretty grim reading, the wider ramifications of this seem to be pretty dire.

Apologies for such dour prophecying, please read for yourself and discuss the matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Read pathetically bias to me.
    What's the author really moaning about?
    That there exists a consensus of other countries whom hold a different view of what the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression should include, and that they express that view in the structures of the UN?

boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He has a point in there some where, but the UN has been a mess for a very long time now. Personally, after the effect UN sanctions had on Iraq the UN really lost any point (not to mention its inability to do anything to stop the Iraq invasion). So his point about the OIC getting rid of human rights is a joke, Human rights died ages ago and the UN had no problem with it. When, thousands of Iraqi's were dieing due to sanctions, there suffering was ignored by the UN, even when its own employee's were sounding the alarm.

The UN at best is a talking shop. I think the entire organization needs a re-thinking to prevent what the OIC has done (the article I think has exaggerated what the OIC has managed to achieve, but still its better if its reversed), to prevent what happened to Iraq (as opposed to perpetuating it), as well as it manifold problems and issues.

The UN has been broken for a very long time, so this is hardly the straw that broke the Camels back. So in that regard, I do disagree with the ultimate point of the article, even if it does raise some valid issues. The author drowns these out with hyperbole and a very selective memory (e.g. the UN does condemn Israel alot, but it condemns the Palestinians a lot as well, and it tends to be the US or the Arab league who are responsible for all these condemnations) of what has gone on with the UN.

Advertisement