Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Queen come to Sligo?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

So what if she was to come? She is a head of state of another country and reguardless of the history of the Nation and what her peers did before her, she should be treated with respect as a head of state. If our President went to Buckingham Palace and was shunned or treated the way some of you are proposing then you would all be the first people in here complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Winters wrote: »
    So what if she was to come? She is a head of state of another country and reguardless of the history of the Nation and what her peers did before her, she should be treated with respect as a head of state. If our President went to Buckingham Palace and was shunned or treated the way some of you are proposing then you would all be the first people in here complaining.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Remind me exactly which part of the UK Ireland is currently occupying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Oh you crazy nationalists with your crazy perceptions of history. You crack me up.

Oh you crazy nationalists with your crazy perceptions of history. You crack me up.

Yeah were like those "crazy" Palestinians, wanting to rule our own land and our people, God what were we thinking... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Remind me exactly which part of the UK Ireland is currently occupying?
    What? Your point, or attempt at, is lost.

Are you implying that this country should refuse to make a diplomatic greeting to another head of state due to your own short-sighted and nationalist views upon boundries that were set out 80-odd years ago by peaceful means?

Would you reccomend, following your basis for refusing the British head of state entry, that due to the more recent boundry disputes across Europe that France, Belgum, Netherlands etc. should refuse the German Chancellor from visiting?

upon boundries that were set out 80-odd years ago by peaceful means?

Do you honestly believe that the will of the Irish people was represented by that delegation 80 years ago? The civil war would suggest otherwise...

Lets have a referendum on unity tomorrow throughout the island, if I'm wrong so be it.

As for comparing the occupation of Ireland to a minor boundary dispute, that is totally ridiculous.

Maybe we should ban all Scandanavians from Ireland. After all, they invaded us too.

Maybe we should ban all Scandanavians from Ireland. After all, they invaded us too.

Do you see any Scandanavian troops in Ireland :rolleyes:

Again with the blood pressure.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Do you honestly believe that the will of the Irish people was represented by that delegation 80 years ago? The civil war would suggest otherwise...

Actually no it wouldn't. Just about every article book or lecture I've ever had on the civil war rightly points out that the majority of Irish people didn't want or care for the civil war. In fact the net result of the civil war was to set the country back about twenty years or more. But at least you anti-treaty types proved a point right?

• Advertisement

90 years ago following the Easter rising the people who left the GPO were jeered and spat on by the public. So you beleive that the views of those men and women in the GPO and elsewere in April 1916 were representitive of the overall population? A very large porportion of the population were also content with the possibility of Home Rule after the first World War to see where this lead us.

My point is, as a society you would think we would have at least grown up and matured to the point where we would welcome all heads of state reguardless of the past history of thate state.
    Lets have a referendum on unity tomorrow throughout the island, if I'm wrong so be it.
    This is not the issue in question and as I stated you are bringing your nationalist views into what is an issue reguarding the visit of one head of state to another state. And I have no doubt other people will easily answer this for me.
    As for comparing the occupation of Ireland to a minor boundary dispute, that is totally ridiculous.
    I dont think World War II was a "minor boundary dispute". I would advise you take a quick look up on your European history.

As starbelgrade has pointed out. Through your logic all Scandanavian heads of state should be banned from visiting our nation also. Maybe I should go down to my fellow danish co-worker and deport them myself for the crimes of the Vikings those many years ago? Or is that all forgotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I notice the OP sauntered off looking pleased with himself!

Do you see any Scandanavian troops in Ireland :rolleyes:

Again with the blood pressure.....

I don't see any british troops in Ireland either. Last time I checked, we were a Republic made up of 26 counties. It's been 10 years since the Belfast Agreement, which, by democratic vote, saw the abolition of Republic of Ireland's territorial claim to Northern Ireland.

I don't think you need to have a poll on Nationalism to know that the majority of the people in the Republic, are not "nationalists" in terms of a "United Ireland". It will never happen.

"Screw you guys... I'm going hooome" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We have been there and done that - referendum - Article2 - Constitution - not remember? Or maybe your too young to recall that far back.

Im tempted now at this stage to lock this so please think before you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah! Just seen the last cracker of a post.

Thread locked and infraction given

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement