Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Cork City

• 01-04-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Is there any good leisure cycling club in the cork city area? I find it very hard to get information on the internet. Or is there anywhere to meet up with a group for a sat / sun morning spin or evening spin. The only club within the city seems to be St. Finbarrs, but they seem to operate at too high a level for my humble ambitions??
    Considering the City Corperation are promoting cycling in april, i thought there would be more information. I only heard about last saturday's bike swap meet at 4 o clock that evening

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

If St Finbarrs are a tad pacey for you, ring some of the other clubs. They may be able to fit you in.

On the Cork City Council bike swap event, in principle it was a good idea, just not well resourced in terms of communicating it to the public.

A handful of bikes were traded and 1 BMX stolen by our city messers.

On to the next event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi,

similiar enquiry, any good cycling clubs in Cork? I know of a club in Midelton but was looking at their website and they seem to be a bit ambitous for me :rolleyes:

Im looking for somewhere I can join a club and do evening/weekend spins? Just want to get out with a group as feel it the only way I will push myself and better my times ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Behind every Racinghead there is a Leisurehead who keeps their head down and off the homepage of the Club website. Make the call and ask

will do shur, what harm can it do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

You could always go into one of the bike shops in the city as ask there.
    They will know all of the clubs in the city and county for that matter.
    All clubs will have riders who are not training for the racing season. You could go along to the St. Finbarrs league this Thursday night ask as there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭a/tel

Hi,

similiar enquiry, any good cycling clubs in Cork? I know of a club in Midelton but was looking at their website and they seem to be a bit ambitous for me :rolleyes:

Im looking for somewhere I can join a club and do evening/weekend spins? Just want to get out with a group as feel it the only way I will push myself and better my times ...

Same here, maybe we cud organise our own group for spins in Cork???

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Oldtrier

There are a number of groups that cycle mainly on Sunday mornings, some casual some organised. Cork tri club leave from city hall at 9.00am on Sundays but you have to be a member for insurance reasons. I know An Oige have mid week spins from the Opera House during the summer, but I don't have details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

+1 for organising a spin! :D also heading to the St Finbars CC league tomoro...

Nice one :) would definitley be interested in these spins :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chimayland

Hi. Some of the clubs in Cork as follows. Most out of the city though: Blarney Cycling Club. http://www.carrigdhouncyclingclub.ie/, corkcitycyclingclub@yahoo.com, Fermoy Cycling Club, Midleton Cycling Club, ST. Finbarrs CC. Most clubs do have plenty of leisure riders but you will mainly hear of the racers only. Contact the city clubs and see how you get on. Otherwise through boards a leisure group could be organised for Sunday spins?

• Advertisement

Was looking up St. Finbarrs CC, the summer league looks good, I'm taking that any grade cyclist can do the Thursday summer league. I will be back in Cork full time from Mid May so would hope to get involved in this during the week

Would definitely be interested in getting involved in meeting up with others at weekends/other evenings for spins.

Would there be much interest in others for this? Anyone interested for one maybe this weekend? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The Cycling Ireland club list may be of some use:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Club-List.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

The Carrigdhoun club are geared more towards leisure cycling and head out early Sunday mornings,very nice bunch and more importantly no one left behind,trust me :D

All cyclists even the competitive lads and lassies had to start somewhere,they didn't wake up one morning and decide to start serious racing that day.

Take the jump get out, slowly build up the miles and more importantly enjoy the ridesorry PAIN.

kerryscoob wrote: »
    The Carrigdhoun club are geared more towards leisure cycling and head out early Sunday mornings,very nice bunch and more importantly no one left behind,trust me :D

All cyclists even the competitive lads and lassies had to start somewhere,they didn't wake up one morning and decide to start serious racing that day.

Take the jump get out, slowly build up the miles and more importantly enjoy the ridesorry PAIN.

Thanks, gonna give them a buzz alright, hopefully there will be a cycle this Sunday morning. Let the pain begin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Oldtrier wrote: »
    There are a number of groups that cycle mainly on Sunday mornings, some casual some organised. Cork tri club leave from city hall at 9.00am on Sundays but you have to be a member for insurance reasons. I know An Oige have mid week spins from the Opera House during the summer, but I don't have details.

An Oige meet @ 7PM Thursday night from Mid April to mid September. Some members can be quite anti social and tighter than a ducks ass baptismal money still in the 1850's matress in monetary terms but they do some good routes also meet on Saturday mornings about twice monthly the lady responsible for running the thursday night cycles is quite a control freak in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jethro127

Thanks, gonna give them a buzz alright, hopefully there will be a cycle this Sunday morning. Let the pain begin :D

Hi
    I'm interested in hooking up with people who want to go for around 2/3 hrs on Sat and/or Sun mornings - . Don't know if I've energy to go out to Carrigaline to then head for cycle with group leaving from there - so if anyone is interested/has organised to meet up for spins from city centre can you let me know? I know St Finbarrs gang but I'm not fast enough :(
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cape Clear wrote: »
    quite a control freak in my humble opinion.

Soo makes me want to get just ahead of the bunch and then take a random right turn... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I know a few Cork Boardsies met up a week or so ago for a spin so there is no reason that this cant happen again. I missed that spin but would be happy to meet people who are interested in a cycle.
    I'm not pushed about the pace or distance everyone starts slow and short and such spins can be good from the social as well as fitness aspect.

What kinda cycle are people interested in? I'd be up for a leisure cycle at slow pace for those finding their way into cycling or longer routes for the more daft experienced.
    By the amount of posters there seems to be a good few interested so there should be enough to make it a regular event. Cork City is such a great place to cycle if you pick your route and time and the county offers some of the best and varied routes so its a shame people are missing out coz they aren't a member of a club.
    My for my 2cents leisure short spins could be run on week evenings around routes such as the old railway on the mahon ring, no traffic and flat as you like, about 10 to 20k, add in a little northside and you have hills and the river trail. Longer spins on the quite Sunday morning roads. Or spins for those with time on your hands during day time hours.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

There is a cycle club in Blarney and a new cycle shop opened just on the edge of the village in the same location as the Golf driving range.
    I have seen posters around the village looking for beginners to join the club, it might be what the OP is looking for...the shop is worth checking out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

• Advertisement
Advertisement