Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting ready to give up, yay me!!

• 01-04-2008 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Now I just need to keep that enthusiasm going !!

I will be doing it without the help of nicotine replacement. I visualize myself breathing freely and having more energy to run around with my kids, being overweight as well I'd like to incorporate getting fitter & loosing the weight ( not asking for much lol!).

Have made some very half hearted attempts before, but i feel this is the time to it.

I'm 38 I started smoking at 18, unusually I would think, I did smoke #,did e's & speed, before i took up smoking fags..........

The only thing I see as a problem is the anxious feelings i know i will get, I'll try the calms herbal tabs and see how they go .

My biggest goal is to see my children grow up , my own mother died before she saw my children, (a mix of alcoholism and emphysema)

So Friday is the big day, wish me luck !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

you'll be grand. I haven't had one since new year's eve. Don't drink for a few weeks, if your like me this would be your biggest weakness as the two used to go hand in hand for me. Didn't bother with nicotine replacements and worked out that beer tastes nicer without the horrible little feckers.

Occasionally if i'm ever thinking about having one a cold glass of water takes my mind off it, strange,..but there you go.

You won't believe how much better your lungs will feel after a few months...no more gasping for air at the top of one flight of stairs.

Get it done man...no delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 crazym

thanks for that :) was begining to think no one would wish me luck!!
    all set for tomorrow then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Best of luck crazym. The biggest thing to do is to realise that it is not going to be easy, prepare yourself for that. The thought will come into your head at some stage that giving up is too hard and you will want to have a smoke and try giving up again later. Be ready for that and be determined not to give into it. Now is the time to give up, not next week or after the next work deadline or whatever.

After a few days off the nicotene it will all be in your head anyway so if you can prepare yourself for that, then you have a better chance of getting through it.

We'll be watching to see how you get on :)

Keep us posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭nc6000

All the best crazym! I'm on day 11 now, the first 3 days or so are the hardest.

According to www.stopsmoking.ie........

Hi NC6000! You quit 1 week, 3 days, 11 hours, 42 minutes & 4 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 262 cigs, saved EUR 98 and added 21.83 hours to your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

keep yourself busy over the weekend, get outdoors and do something. Go with someone, give them your wallet, tell them under no circumstances to let you buy any rotten feckin fags. Throw yourself into whatever your doing and the cravings won't be as bad.

Not a bother to ya. Do it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Best of luck crazym, keep posting here for support - it does get easier and its so worthwhile :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Best of luck crazym.....I stopped last Monday myself and I've been out drinking twice since and admittedly I've been very close to going and buying a box but I've gotten through it. I find that keeping myself busy is a good way to keep my mind off smoking e.g. instead on of going for a smoke after lunch I've started spending ~10 minutes doing part of a crossword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭goodburger

Hi there

Best of luck to you. I gave up Jan 1st '07. Myself and my husband were devout smokers. However, we were getting sick of smoking and in the November before we gave up we decided to put a date on when we would give up. Jan 1st came to mind and I was sceptical at first but said ok, dec 31st came adn i had forgotten about it, but my husband hadnt and we were staying over in my sisters. 1st thing that morning my husband gave me a herbal patch (no nicotene in it) and i personally it was my ignorance, cos i thought there was nicotene in the patch. Anyway, I was fine. I did the patch for a week then gave up and we are both still off them, best thing we ever did, we did put on weight, but it is starting to go back to normal now and we are nearly back to our 'before' weight. best of luck, and i wish you well.

Advertisement