Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How serious is attendance of language classes?

• 01-04-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Spanish says you fail the year if you don't attend 70% of the classes, has anyone ever failed from that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Don't know about Spanish in particular, but other Departments take it very seriously indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Very serious, in first year I got 67 in a german exam but failed it on attendance, back then it was 50% and I managed 19%.
    Came up as 0% on my exam results, went to see the department head on consultation day who looked at me, laughed and said something along the lines on "you lazy bastard". It means you repeat in the summer, which is no fun at all.

Ive never been to any of the Spanish lectures :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Noodlehead

so, even if you pass the exam you repeat the exam? you don't have to repeat the module or anything though... right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I didn't I just had to resit the exam, I would have a chat with the lecturer or head of department (as daunting as it seems) to see where you stand. My module wasnt the grammar one (though I came fairly close in that one too seeing as I only went to 2 or 3 language labs) but a literature one. I think the tutorials and lectures were grouped together for that one, for grammar I think they take Grammar classes, Language Labs and Conversation classes into consideration. The best way is to check out how you are faring now, and go to every class you can until the end of the year, because if you fail the repeat then your talking about having to repeat the modules. Failing that the only other way is doctor's notes! You could always drop into the academic advisory office for a chat too, I hear they are quite helpful and give out free pens and a4 pads too! Hope this is of some help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement