Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period and viewings?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

I have just given notice on a place that we are currently renting. The landlord has asked us to facilitate viewings during the notice period. Do I have to allow these viewings?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

What does your lease say? Any place I've ever rented has had this mentioned. It's standard enough I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Most contracts say you have to allow viewings. This does not mean you have to be in house or leave a key anywhere. You are giving landlord permission to enter house that is all. You can stay or not. You also do not have to have place particularly tidy as long as it is in reasonable condition. Some landlords seem to misunderstand all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I'd say it common courtesy as long as the landlord lets you know when these viewings are happening, i definately wouldnt think just coming into the house is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I've never seen this in a lease of mine.

The house is your home for the period of your agreement. When I give notice of intention to leave my place no one is coming into it to view it before I leave. Why? Because I'm paying to live there. Once I'm gone the LL can do what he wants, and view it when he wants.

Any empty periods are the LL's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I'm leaving before my lease is up (lease ends end of May) and gave the landlord 3 and a half weeks notice. They're making me pay for the daft ad and I have to do the viewing myself.

Am I getting screwed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Jharrb

I am having the same problem. Landlords have asked if Agents can give viewings. We are moving out in July. This could be a problem for us though as we have a newborn baby. I dont want Agents just ringing up and bringing people around. Where is the privacy in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Then just say "no".

The way I see it, there's only one complication here, which is if you're leaving prior to the end of the lease. In order to maintain good relations with the LL and with an eye on getting your deposit back etc I can see how you might facilitate viewings if they're willing to allow you to leave early.

But if the lease is just coming to an end naturally, then this is still your home for the period specified. You don't have to let anyone in, or allow anyone to look at it. They can do that when you've left, and you know, when the place is actually available. Empty periods are budgeted for by good landlords.

Advertisement