Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading up from Golf 1.4 - help please

Options
  • 01-04-2008 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I've been driving a '98 Golf 1.4 (base, MK IV) . I want to trade up to an '04 or '05 Golf and want something a bit more powerful. Can't afford the new 1.4 TSI. The base 1.4 was fine for around town but I drive a fair bit between Dublin and Donegal and need something with a bit more power (torque?) for overtaking. Was wondering about the 1.4 FSI or the 1.6 FSI. I'll be spending up to €16,500. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

1.4 FSI was never sold here unfortunately. It would have been ideal for Ireland, as it had a much more respectable amount of power than the standard 1.4. They sold it in the UK, but for some ridiculous reason they didn't think it was a good idea to sell it here even though our VRT and road tax are done on engine size(for the moment). There was a 1.6 non FSI and a 1.6 FSI. The non FSI engine is as old as the hills. It's only a little more powerful than the FSI 1.4 actually. The 1.6 FSI like all direct injection engines, should be run on Super Unleaded, or if you can find it, Maxols'
    E5(not to be confused with E85), though standard unleaded is fine too, but there's a bit of an improvement in economy and power with super/E5(as well as the direct injection engine being designed for it).

The FSI is a much better choice, the non FSI 1.6 isn't that powerful for a 1.6 by today's standards and is heavy on juice for a 1.6. The 1.6 FSI would be lighter on juice than an underpowered 1.4, especially with the type of driving you're going to be doing.

Why not consider the 1.9 diesel model? It is very noisy though, but would have even better fuel economy than the 1.6 FSI, and would be a faster through the gears. VW did 2 versions, a 90 bhp and a 105 bhp, I would say the 90 bhp one wouldn't be faster than the 1.6 FSI, but the 105 bhp one would be faster in the real world(0-60 isn't the best measure when it comes to comparing petrols and diesels for performance really).

Better still is the 2.0 TDI a lot more power and a lot quieter than the 1.9, all the VAG enthusiasts will tell about this "animal" of an engine:D!

Coming from a 1.4 though, you will find a big step up in power in the FSI, and compared to what you're used to, it will be more than adequate for the kind of driving you want to do. If you're doing big mileage, then the 2.0 TDI is the model to go for, otherwise the 1.6 FSI ticks all the boxes as far as I can tell, and would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bbq

Many thanks for that info. I've seen just two 1.4 FSI's for sale on some websites. That must mean they're imports then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They'd definitely be imports, unless of course the dealer has the spec wrong in the ad, which wouldn't be unusual either. Easiest way to tell is the FSI's have a 6-speed gearbox.
    1.6 Golf's would be relatively rare on the 2nd hand market, the 1.6FSI being even rarer. Most people opted for standard 1.4 or 1.9TDI.
    I had a 1.6FSI in an Audi A3. It was a decent enough engine, no rocket either, but certainly a lot smoother, quieter, and more free-revving than the std 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kvnmcwebn

sorry to steal your post but it looks like theres some golf fanciers here and i have a question.
    i have a 94 1.9 diesel golf sitting in my drive. its a 3 door vanette one without widows in the back. it runs very good but needs about 500 bucks worth of miscellaneous repairs. i had it painted two years ago and it has alloys so it looks all right. i wonder if its worth fixing up? what do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd scrap it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Fix it, and keep it. There's still plenty of life left in a Volkswagen that was made back in the day when VW built cars properly. Why send a car to a scrapyard before it's time? The only reason to get rid of it is there is something catastrophically wrong with it that would cost a fortune to fix, and if you're a number plate snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What's being a number plate snob got to do with it? The plate on my car doesn't bother me but I'd rather have an advanced design golf than an old school one. Sure who needs ABS, ESP, power steering and airbags? And who wants electric sunroof and windows?

Advertisement