Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Define/passing varibles in excel to Sql Query

Options
  • 01-04-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm pretty much totally new to excel . I'm working on a sheet, which needs to draw data from an sql server DB. I need to allow the user to enter a date into a field and use this in the query. I have a sample query in which I can see that in the query the variable is shown as '<variablename>' and in the sheet on another sheet theres "set variblename = " and a reference to the field where the user enters variable value.

How do i define a variable like above so excel recognises what I’m passing

Thanks in advance

- Elfman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

are you using VBA for this in a macro, or are you trying to use the datasource functions in the excel GUI?

in VBA to get the value of a cell and assign it:
    dim sVar as string

sVar = cells(1,1).value

'where 1,1 is the co-ordinate of the cell. row, column

this link may help also:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/integratingea/chapter/ch03.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Yeah I'm trying to avoid using vba if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

just went to try a database query through the GUI and it's not installed. have to go find the disc. :( why does it do that, it's a real pain, I did a "full" install initially too.

Advertisement