Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rainy season things to do in thailand

• 01-04-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Hey,

i'l be going to thailand this summer and spending a month (or 6 wks) in chiang rai volunteering and going to chiang mai for maybe 2/3 weekends (flight) during this time.
    originally i planned on just staying in the north for the full two months but the guys im now volunteering with suggested i'd miss out if i didnt see more of the country. so i was thinking of going to Koh Phangnan www.baanpanburi.com after seeing that on another thread but since im going mid may until mid july would i be daft going to the beaches in rainy season?
    As much as im going through travel sites and books what could i not possibly miss while in thailand, in the north and while having a short stay in the capital?
    also since my travelling buddy dropped out is it common or the done thing to make friends while there and follow them to their next place? i know i'l be fine with the other volunteers while up north but im wondering if due to the rain and being alone is it worth it going south to hit the beaches?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

There is a really excellent santuary for elephants in Chang Mai - great place to spend a day or two with rescued elephants and to see them in their natural environment - you can feed and help bathe them but they don't do shows or riding. (yes I am completely opposed to travellers doing 'treks' and supporting this cruel trade)

Their website is www.elephantnaturepark.org - well worth your time and money. :) I also got some amazing photos while I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

any advice about the rainy season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

only rains for an hour or so a day and the rest of the day will be warm and sunny! and you will meet loads of ppl along the way! oh and the half moon party is much better than the full moon party on koh phangan, its on a week before and a week after each full moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

The rain was never too much of an issue with us, was a bit of a laugh and refreshment more than anything. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I was there during the "rainy season" and could only imagine what it must be like in the dry season. Weather won't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

only rains for an hour or so a day and the rest of the day will be warm and sunny!

Thats what happens pretty much, could set your watch to it most days :)
    I always enjoyed relaxing have a beer looking out at the rain..

What might be of interest especially around Chiang Mai during the rainy season is rafting - great fun and not expensive at all. I did a 1/2 day rafting, 1/2 day quad biking trip which i couldnt recommend more - a crowd called the Adventure Company - you'll see them advertised in most hostels & travel agents

Also for accomodation in Chiang Mai - the Libra Guest House is excellent - family run and the women are a great help and also great fun - rooms are nice too

No need to book ahead, just show up
    They also have a very enjoyable 1 day cookery course - great fun :D

Enjoy your trip and the very best of luck volunteering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

really? great, thats good news. one of the girls i know from college said theres no real sunny weather, just overcast and rainy. aw seems to be more to do in chiang mai, then chiang rai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i was on koh phangan for almost two weeks last august/september and it was sunny everyday!! chaing mai was sunny most days aswell,i was there for over a week. bangkok is overcast a lot but that is probably just down to the pollution. the only place that the weather was bad for me was phuket, rained alot and i left after 3 days, phuket is fairly bad anyway, especially costa del patong, spent a good 30 mins there before i had to get out! horrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nelly198536

I really shouldn't be saying this but by far the best place I went to in Thailand was Pai. Its a small town north of Chang Mai and its a remarkable place. Very chilled but loads to do there. Also haven't been but tubing in Vang Vien in Laos is supposed to be unbelievable. I was on the Islands in the south for the rainy season and its not all that bad really. Sometimes it rains HEAVY nonstop for a day or too but you can still have fun. Koh Tao is also far better than Koh Phang Ngan for a solo traveller. Give Koh Samui a miss.

Advertisement