Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom mirror light not working advice please

• 01-04-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Hi not very apt when it comes to domestic stuff give me computers and ill fix it but lights are not my area, so hopefully this is the right place to ask .

I have a light over the mirror in the bathroom thats decided to stop working.
    is one of the pull string to switch on jobs with the long tube shaped bulbs.
    Ill attach a picture at the end.

My problem is that after removing the cover and pulling the cord a few times and having it not work i fiddled with the bulb (twisted it on the righthand side clockwise ever so slightly - talking maybe less that a 1mm movement - so tiny) and on it came.
    Cool i though. So all last night it worked and earlier this morning but now its gone again. So i repeated the above steps and it worked again so i put the cover back on and walked away after testing a few times. Just came back to it there and is gone yet again.

So my question is - is it the bulb , the starter or the whole thing thats broken? If so how do i replace them as i cant see the starter and cant
    work out how to remove the bulb safely.

2379232131_fc2ac25785.jpg
    2379232133_6efdfa7cba.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can't see the photo's, flickr isn't permitted here for some reason. It sounds like the bulb isn't in properly. These fittings are notorious for this. Keep adjusting the bulb and see if you can find the right 'spot'.

The contacts might need cleaning either. If you're doing this you'll need to make sure the power is off at the mcb, then double check it's off with a meter at the fitting. I'd scrape the contacts with a screw driver to remove any dust/dirt. Only do this if you're confident enough and twisting the bulb doesn't work.

Advertisement