Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diving in the Caribbean

• 01-04-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Work is sending me to TechEd in the states in Orlando and I can take some time off and fly back later if I wish

So I am thinking I am going to use the rare oppurtunity to get some diving in that side of the world

Was looking at Tortalla in the BVI or the Bahamas..

Anyone got any suggestions...

Flights from Orlando are working out at about 200 USD to the Bahamas and 380 to the BVI..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

was in the cayman islands diving in january. loved it, not as good as hawaii, but excellent diving all the same. Can really recommend divetech on grand cayman. we looked at the rest, but with the exception of bonaire caymans looked best. mind you. there isn't a whole lot to do on the island but dive, depends wjhat you are after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Want to get some diving in. Not there for much else really. After a programmer conference I will want to do stuff in the water :D

caymans gets thumbs up from me so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've dives in tobago and the Dom Republic. recomend the first, not the latter.

Tobago is not that easy to get to from the states I believe, I think you have to make a connection. I dived with sublime sub aqua based at the tropikist hotel near the airport. They dive every day, sometimes they have customers, sometimes they don't :D

Just been told I can go to the one in LA instead if I wish and its 300 bucks to fly to Honolulu!!!

Fricken decisions!

• Advertisement

lived in california for 6 years. forget honololou, if going to hawaii diving go to maui and book yourself in with ed severns diving. maui diving best of the hawaii islands by a long long way. Honololou is not a nice spot, way too touristy,

can't say it strongly enough, maui is by far the best bet for hawaii diving

Sweet,, how easy is it to get from Maui from Oahu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

Hi Ginger,
    This might be of interest to you. I live in St Lucia. If you fly with American Airlines to the US then you should be able to fly to St Lucia on the same ticket a few days later for little extra cost. Then you can fly back to Ireland via Miami again. The whole round trip should cost about €900.
    As for the diving here, I've done the PADI Open Water and Advanced here, and its brilliant. Theres two wrecks and you can do some lovely reef diving. That having been said, I've not dived anywhere else. I dive with Scuba Steve's diving here.
    Cian

Hey

Well I live in Norway at the moment and the company is sending me to Orlando or LA on a trip and I can take time afterwards and they will pay for the flight home..

So its Maui,Honolulu or the Caribbean at the moment .. flights to either are around 399USD return (not much at all).. just looking to get in some quality diving.. would like some wreck (and maybe the spec as well) if I can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

St Lucia is definitely in the Caribbean. Trust me.

• Advertisement

ehhh ya .. i know.. Its whether I leave from Orlando and go somewhere in the Caribbean or go from LA to Hawaii... that is the decision

Ginger wrote: »
    Sweet,, how easy is it to get from Maui from Oahu

very, inter island shuttle flights all the time

having been to the caribbean and hawaii i'd say hawaii, hands down. preferred both topside and underwater.

Wahey I am going diving in Hawaii! Just confirmed that its ok to spend an extra week out there! :D

Advertisement