Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to teach secondary with a useless degree?

• 01-04-2008 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Hiya, Im just finishing my degree in Philosophy & Political Science in the next 15 months and would like to go down the secondary school avenue.
    Obviously Phil/Pol is not taught at secondary level so what are my options ?
    Is there some sort of conversion course available where I could transfer to say a degree in History & English?
    If so where are these available and how long does it take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

I suppose conversion depends on your college. But if you have 15 months to go it means that you could change without prolonging the thing too much.

But I should warn you that English/History seems to me to be a very popular combination. Bear in mind that less people sit higher-level History than Higher-level French, Irish or Maths - and it's about 50% less in the case of the two languages mentioned.

So while History is an interesting and popular Arts option, that very fact along with its lack of popularity at Leaving Cert level reduces its value as a main teaching subject. Putting it another way, chances are that having it on your CV will very rarely swing a job for you I'd imagine.

Maths and a language - preferably Irish - would be really good options. English would have plenty of degree holders too but it is a core curriculum subject and with a strong second subject would be good.

I would say choose your subjects with care but by all means make the change if you fancy teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I dunno if this helps, but you could teach CSPE and Religion with those subjects. There is reasonable demand for religion teachers and schools would be interested in a properly qualified CSPE teacher, especially as its being extended to Leaving Cert soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was just looking at the teaching council website and there are no Philosophy and Politics degrees listed as recognised teaching qualifications.

However a degree in politics would be recognised for the teaching of CSPE

Applicants must provide officially certified evidence of satisfactory achievement in primary degree and post-graduate studies (or equivalent) as outlined hereunder:

 (i) The study of Sociology (or Social Studies or Social Science) extending over at least three years and of the order of 30% of that period, where the syllabus meets the needs of CSPE
    or
    (ii) The study of Politics (or Political Studies or Political Science) extending over at least three years and of the order of 30% of that period, where the syllabus meets the needs of CSPE

 Details of degree course content to show that the knowledge and understanding required to teach CSPE to the highest level in post-primary education has been acquired

and for religion:
     The study of the following elements as an integral part of the degree course: Moral Theology, Scripture or Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology and Christology/Origins of Christianity with either Philosophy of Religion or World Religions

From that I would take it that you would have had to studied Theology as well as Philosophy

Your best bet would be to contact the teaching council and ask them www.teachingcouncil.ie

To be honest you would be better off with another exam subject. CSPE while it is an exam subject is a common level subject at Junior Cert only and qualified teachers are able to do diplomas which enable them to teach the subject. It's not often you see jobs advertised for a CSPE teacher. Just from my own experience it tends to be a subject that is used to fill hours on teachers' timetables.

You could go back to second year and choose different subjects, especially if you had more relevant subjects in first year. Or you could wait and finish your degree and perhaps do a degree by night or through Open University and get more relevant qualifications for teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for the advice guys, it is quite helpful. The CSPE route seems like a good option but as to whether there is a job at the end is another thing....
    Religion as well is something I would be interested in but alas I have not studied Theology just the Philosophy of Religion so maybe I would need to do some sort of diploma in Theology to get qualified to teach it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

RATM wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, it is quite helpful. The CSPE route seems like a good option but as to whether there is a job at the end is another thing....
    Religion as well is something I would be interested in but alas I have not studied Theology just the Philosophy of Religion so maybe I would need to do some sort of diploma in Theology to get qualified to teach it ?

Perhaps do a Masters in Theology or Religious Studies. Milltown Institute have loads of options. Here is one of them:

http://www.qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=26381&CSH_ID=17

Do a search on qualifax for Religion or Religious in the postgrad search

• Advertisement
Advertisement