Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satin paint not washing out from brushes

Options
  • 01-04-2008 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, i bought some satin paint for wood there, and find it impossible to wash from the brushes. It says you should use hot water with detergent in it, but it takes ages to wash the brushes with this. is there an easier way?? And what happened to good old white spirits based paint?

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You're positive it's water based?
    How long have the brushes been sitting with paint on them?
    Acrylic eggshell/satin dries pretty quickly....even an hour standing out of paint is enough for them to harden. Fill a can wih very hot water and some detergent and leave them stand for a while, then peel as much as you can from the bristles and wash again. When you have as much off as you can get, take them outside and dash them off a wall, the rougher the better. If this doesn't work the brushes aren't worth keeping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

i don't know if it's water based. all i know is it says wash with hot water and detergent" on the can. i did that, and it takes about 3-4 rinces to get most of it out. it never all comes out. i did it just after i was painting. This is the paint:

http://www.crownpaints.ie/colourexp/products/solo/

when washing out water based paint from brushes, it just comes out really quickly. same with white spirits based paint. just wondering why this is different...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well if it says wash with water then it's water based...the stuff in your link is defo water based. I can't say why it's not washing out....acrylic satin can be tough to shift...the only thing I can think of is that the paint has skinned on the outside edges and up toward the stock of the brush. That usually happens when you put a bone dry brush into paint....brushes should always be moistened with water before use with acrylic finishes to stop them hardening during use.
    Apart from hitting them off a wall you could try combing them with a wire brush if you have one.

Advertisement