Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Cats Out

Options
  • 01-04-2008 1:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭

I have recently done a bit of landscaping round my back garden. I have reseeded the grass in a mixture of Top Soil, Peat and Sand. My problem is that every morning I get up, a cat has used my garden as a litter tray and has holes dug in the garden. Everyone knows how dangereous a cats S**t is.
    I have tried a few of those products from Alantic Homecare which will work for about 1 night. Is there anything else you would recommend apart from a rifle ? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Fuseman wrote: »
    I have recently done a bit of landscaping round my back garden. I have reseeded the grass in a mixture of Top Soil, Peat and Sand. My problem is that every morning I get up, a cat has used my garden as a litter tray and has holes dug in the garden. Everyone knows how dangereous a cats S**t is.
    I have tried a few of those products from Alantic Homecare which will work for about 1 night. Is there anything else you would recommend apart from a rifle ? :)
    id suggest not to use a rifle it will be bad news,there is deterants avialable alright but dosent work 100% i have a link if it helps there 10 ways of detering them.
    http://landscaping.about.com/od/pestcontrol/a/cat_repellents.htm
    http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/keepingout.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Think of it as fertiliser- will only make things grow !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Get a lend of a dog for a day or two and I'm sure the cats will stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

I might have a couple ideas for you, is your garden walled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Fuseman

Yeah walled the whole way round !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

A catapult and a handful of frozen peas everytime did the trick for me.... I'm in a built up area so the rifle was not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Trojan911 wrote: »
    A catapult and a handful of frozen peas everytime did the trick for me.... I'm in a built up area so the rifle was not an option.

Surely you wouldn't shoot a cat no matter if in a built up area or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

http://www.catfencein.com/

a set up like this on your side would keep cats out, even though the design was intended for cat owners to keep their cats in.

Other suggestions

http://www.wildspirit.org/neighbor.htm

In the house, we use tinfoil anywhere we don't want the cats to go.

Even a garden sprinkler, one that rotates, might do some good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Trojan911 wrote: »
    No need for comments like that, consider yourself warned.

Also there is no need to respond to that post. Any further insults will result in bannings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are you sure its not a fox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You can cat proof a garden by putting up brackets and some chicken wire, its hard to explain but the way it is angled it stops cats from getting in, supposed to be very effective. Mabey someone else can explain it better.

If you have small children playing in the seeded area then for now keep them out of it. For adults unless you touch the poop and then put your hands in your mouth you're fine. Just wear gloves and give your hands and nails a good wash after being in the garden for now.

There are all sorts of scent type things in garden centers but I don't think they work very well.

Mabey rustling stuff like some bamboo stakes with tin foil and plastic bags might scare them off for a while. But long term since the garden is walled it should be pretty easy to cat proof it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 beautythebp

I have a fool proof way of keeping cats out of anywhere you dont want them.

Used tea bags. Get the smelliest essential oil you can find, citrus, menthol, ect. infuse in the tea bags. put tea bags every 2 feet inyour garden like a mine field would be if you get my meaning. tea bags are dead cheap, and the oil only a few euro as well. CITRUS the best.

ONe thing to remember, cats are smell oriented and dogs sight. so strong smells deter cats and half full glass bottles of water in your yard deters dogs.

I use the tea bags in my garden and in my home. cats stay where they belong and out of my plants and flowerbeds.

Or you can put all your fresh orange peels all over your garden CATS HATE CITRUS. the orange peels keep the cats away from my lizard and snake tanks.

Hope this helps,

regards,
    Beauty the BP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I have a fool proof way of keeping cats out of anywhere you dont want them.

Used tea bags. Get the smelliest essential oil you can find, citrus, menthol, ect. infuse in the tea bags. put tea bags every 2 feet inyour garden like a mine field would be if you get my meaning. tea bags are dead cheap, and the oil only a few euro as well. CITRUS the best.

ONe thing to remember, cats are smell oriented and dogs sight. so strong smells deter cats and half full glass bottles of water in your yard deters dogs.

I use the tea bags in my garden and in my home. cats stay where they belong and out of my plants and flowerbeds.

Or you can put all your fresh orange peels all over your garden CATS HATE CITRUS. the orange peels keep the cats away from my lizard and snake tanks.

Hope this helps,

regards,
    Beauty the BP
    good il try that on my flower bed as ive just put in plants thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

how did u fare out with the teabag solution?

Advertisement