Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1200 chords in PDF

Options
  • 01-04-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Downoad the Ultimate Guitar Chord Chart, Free

At the Guitar Player’s Toolbox you can download a free, printable version of the Ultimate Guitar Chord Chart. Make several copies and have them handy in your guitar case, practice area, and anywhere else you may need to do a quick chord lookup. You can’t beat the price (free!), convenience, or completeness of this chord chart!

One handy feature on the Ultimate chart is a listing of chords by key (page 7 of the .pdf file). The following list will give you ideas for developing chord progressions and introducing variations as you write songs and jam:
    Chords in the Key of:
    Ab or G#: Ab Bbm Cm Db Eb Fm Gdim
    A: A Bm Dbm D E Gbm Abdim
    Bb or A#: Bb Cm Dm Eb F Gm Adim
    B: B Dbm Ebm E Gb Abm Bbdim
    C: C Dm Em F G Am Bdim
    Db or C#: Db Ebm Fm Gb Ab Bbm Cdim
    D: D Em Gbm G A Bm Dbdim
    Eb or D#: Eb Fm Gm Ab Bb Cm Ddim
    E: E Gbm Abm A B Dbm Ebdim
    F: F Gm Am Bb C Dm Edim
    Gb or F#: Gb Abm Bbm B Db Ebm Fdim
    G: G Am Bm C D Em Gbdim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

....or learn some simple theory and make up what u want when u want :p

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

That whole chords in the key of thing always gets me. I usually just play whatever chords sound good together with absolutely no understanding of what key I'm playing in, or why it sounds right. If someone was to ask me to play something in a different key I wouldn't have a bounce where to even begin.

Is there really only 7 chords per key? if so that'd make life a lot easier, but then if there is where do all the 7ths and 9ths etc fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

That's the most retarded thing I've ever seen!

What a useless chart! Learn some functional harmony boy!

You can't throw 7ths and 9ths around anywhere you please and expect it to just work out. Only by a ridiculous stroke of luck could you make a worthwhile chord progression by picking chords from that chart at random.

kawaii wrote: »
    That's the most retarded thing I've ever seen!

What a useless chart! Learn some functional harmony boy!

You can't throw 7ths and 9ths around anywhere you please and expect it to just work out. Only by a ridiculous stroke of luck could you make a worthwhile chord progression by picking chords from that chart at random.
    What in the name of god are you on about?

I'm a bit tired and cranky at the moment, so maybe (hopefully) my humour meter is a bit out of whack, but that's about as unhelpful a post I've seen in a while now.

The chart is just a chart of chords, nowhere does it suggest that you pick chords from it at random to make chord progressions. The only mention of chord progressions is at the end where it gives a list of some chords in different keys.

As for my question it was more of a generic theory question. I'm only learning which means there is a lot of stuff I don't know or understand yet; I'm sorry if it was too basic for your clearly very advanced skills, but if condescension is all you can manage then why bother replying at all? surely your uber theory skills would be better employed feeding the hungry of the world, or bringing about world peace or something?

If you want to regain some good karma, maybe try something a bit more productive. A helpful reply might include things like an explanation of what functional harmony is (if it's even relevant) and possibly some resources where to find out more about it. I'll even throw in some bonus points for avoidance of words like 'retarded', 'useless', and 'ridiculous' :P

pug_ wrote: »
    What in the name of god are you on about?

I'm a bit tired and cranky at the moment, so maybe (hopefully) my humour meter is a bit out of whack, but that's about as unhelpful a post I've seen in a while now.

The chart is just a chart of chords, nowhere does it suggest that you pick chords from it at random to make chord progressions. The only mention of chord progressions is at the end where it gives a list of some chords in different keys.

As for my question it was more of a generic theory question. I'm only learning which means there is a lot of stuff I don't know or understand yet; I'm sorry if it was too basic for your clearly very advanced skills, but if condescension is all you can manage then why bother replying at all? surely your uber theory skills would be better employed feeding the hungry of the world, or bringing about world peace or something?

If you want to regain some good karma, maybe try something a bit more productive. A helpful reply might include things like an explanation of what functional harmony is (if it's even relevant) and possibly some resources where to find out more about it. I'll even throw in some bonus points for avoidance of words like 'retarded', 'useless', and 'ridiculous' :P

WHOA! Slow down! My post was in response to the OP. It was unhelpful because the OP wasn't looking for help. I was critical because I think it is a useless utility. Just voicing my opinion. Now just for you I'll do my best to answer your post. :)
    pug_ wrote: »
    That whole chords in the key of thing always gets me. I usually just play whatever chords sound good together with absolutely no understanding of what key I'm playing in, or why it sounds right. If someone was to ask me to play something in a different key I wouldn't have a bounce where to even begin.

Is there really only 7 chords per key? if so that'd make life a lot easier, but then if there is where do all the 7ths and 9ths etc fit in?

Jeez... where to start. Well you can know which key you are in because the root of that key (i.e C in C major, B in B minor) will sound stable, and when you reach it the progression will seem resolved (depending somewhat on which chord you resolved from).

The most useful way to catagorise chords in a key is by scale degree. This is done with roman numerals. Lower case roman numerals are used for minor chords. Lets use the key of C major as an example for the sake of simplicity.

The root or tonic is C major - I
    The second chord or supertonic is D minor - ii
    The third or 'mediant' is E minor - iii
    The forth chord or subdominant is F major - IV
    Fifth, the dominant is G major - V
    Sixth, the submediant, is A minor - vi
    The seventh and last chord, the subtonic, is a B diminished chord - viib5

If you play any of these chords and look at a chart showing the C major scale all over the fretboard, you will find that whatever voicing you use, all the notes fit into the scale.

All basic chords ie. C major, A minor, B dim (as opposed to Dmajor 7, V7b9) comprise of three notes, a root, a third, and a fifth. Let take a C major chord. The root is C. The third is a third above it (that is, two notes ahead in the C major scale), and the fifth is a further 3rd above that (two more notes).

To show you more clearly, here's a C major scale

C D E F G A B C

^__^__^
    root third fifth

So the root of C major is C. The third is E major, and the fifth is G.

If we want to make a D minor chord the formula is the same, we just shift it up so that the root is D.

C D E F G A B C

_^__^__^
    _root third fifth

so again, the third is two notes up from the root, and the fifth is two more notes up.

Now where am I going with this? I don't know. I've completely lost track. But that's handy to know anyway.

Now. You want to know how different chords work in a key. I'll go through each of the seven degrees in the order that makes sense to me.

Tonic (Cmajor) - Usually occurs at the beginning and end of a harmonic (chord) progression. This is because it is the point of stability in a key. If you put it in the middle of the progression, the momentum of the progression is lost.

Dominant (Gmajor)

• Advertisement

Ah poopie. I'd gone through all the different degrees and everything but it only posted that much. I'll retype when I get over this seething rage.

BLAST!

Thanks Kawaii, I don't think I should post anything at 5am when I can't sleep I tend to be a bit argumentative. Full karma restored, I'd even consider a make up hug but I'm a bit too manly for that ;)

Advertisement