Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCPD using VS2008

Options
  • 01-04-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of doing the MCTS followed by the MCPD. I only have VS2008, not VS2005. I know I can set the Framework version to 2.0 within VS2008 so that the API is correct but are there differences in the environment that might cause me problems on the exam. I used VS2003 about 3 years ago but haven't done much with it since then.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Hey

Currently the MCPD (Pro exams) for 2008 hasnt been released yet. 3 of the MCTS for it have been through their beta periods and will be released in April supposedly..

Anyways, the good news is that you can start now working for them.

All the new 2008 certs will require the 70-536 exam as one of the exams for any of the 2008 MCTS which are in turn required for the MCPD.

Have a look at this post to see the whole 2.0 and 3.5 framework certs..

For the 70-536 exam I dont think (IIRC) that there is any stuff in relation to the IDE so its just the base framework stuff and command line stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Thanks for the replies

I would like to do the exams geared towards the 2.0 Framework, I think that since it will be around for a while it would be beneficial to know this API before I launch into the 3.5 framework. Good to hear that the 70-536 exam is not IDE specific, but do any of the others in the track require knowledge of a specific IDE version, I was planning on windows development track so 70-526 and 70-548.

Also, are the exams language specific. I seem to remember the MCAD and MCSA could be done in either VB or C#. They don't seem to mention a particular language on the microsoft website. Does it make a difference if I do it through C# or VB

Thanks

Dave

Well considering that the 70-536 exam was 2.0 specific and now becomes a pre req for all the .NET MCTS exams either using the 2.0 or 3.5 framework it means you can study for it and then look at which exams will suit you after you have completed it.

You get to choose the language at the start of the exam either VB.NET or C# and in the case of the 536 exam I am fairly sure there is also managed C++. The new 2008 ones will probably only support the main 2.

The windows dev track I think requires some IDE knowledge but none that is not common to the 2005 and 2008. Most of the Windows MCTS exam is about form design, callback delegates and threading. Also builds and deployment(security) comes up sometimes.

The MCPD is the design exam and requires a broader knowledge. It doesnt usually include programming tasks and as such doesnt really require the knowledge of the IDE...

So you could probably do the MCPD Windows in .NET 2.0 knowing mostly the 2008 interface as its not that hugely different from 2005 for exam purposes

Dave take a look at this post..

I suspect the windows 3.5 exam will be coming on stream soon too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Cheers Ginger. I'm don't think I am ready to do the exams yet. I haven't done that much .NET in the last few years, not since Version 1.1 of the Framework and that was about 3 years ago.
    But I am reconsidering doing the Framework 2.0 exams, I think I will just go ahead and do the new 3.5 exams. I know you said that 70-536 will still be appropriate but will there be new versions of 70-526 and 70-548? I can't find a site with a list of 3.5 exams. The reason I ask is that I was about to get one of the self paced kits from microsoft with the 3 exams in it, but no point if two of the three are going to be replaced. By the way, are those kits any good?

Thanks

Dave

Hi

The 70-536 exam wasnt replaced or updated, it will be just renamed.

The 70-526 and 70-548 exams will not be replaced by the new 3.5 exams. Those 2 exams will be cover the .NET 2.0 exam content as before.

So you will have a .NET 1.1, 2.0, and 3.5 version of certs.

So to answer your questions, the .NET 2.0 exams will not be updated to include 3.5 content.

The exam training kits are not bad, they dont go through everything on the exam so you will need to supplement it with further materials. A normal course of action is to get the exam matrix for the exam and look through all the topics that will be asked and familiarise yourself with it.

From that when you get the book you will be able to see if the stuff that is in the book matches what you are expected to know and from there you can see what other stuff you need to research on the web.

Hope that helps

Advertisement