Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands only CPR

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Our latest first aid refresher (now called ELS; emergency life support) was just this. No more rescue breaths or breaths mixed with compressions, just compressions.....seemed weird at the time but if it works ad encourages more people to use their first aid then its got to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

This has been around for over a year.

There should be enough residual o2 in the body to support it (As we breath in 21% and rouchly only use 5%)

We teach it to cadets as they would not be as able to realise when it wouldnt be safe to give breaths etc

Breaths can still be given, not going to make the person in cardiac arrest any deader :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MrDylan

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    This has been around for over a year.

There should be enough residual o2 in the body to support it (As we breath in 21% and rouchly only use 5%)

We teach it to cadets as they would not be as able to realise when it wouldnt be safe to give breaths etc

Breaths can still be given, not going to make the person in cardiac arrest any deader :p

My sus on it was if breaths are being given time is being wasted on Breaths that could be spend on compressions, therefore reducing chances of survival. If there's one person working on someone time will be spent switching positions etc.

Problem now is there's 3 different methods still being used, a long time qualified nurse I spoke to said she would use 15c to 5b, the more recent version is 30c to 2b and now 100c per minute.

Anything is better than no action at all but still be good to have some sort of awareness campaign by the HSE, teaching 100c per min is not near as tricky as doing breaths.

30 compressions is universal under latest ILCOR guidelines, 100c/min is the rate

Now when p/t is not breathing its straight into compressions no breaths first like before

Little time is wasted in compression in my view, but i'm well trained in this area so its second nature, to a lay person who done first aid 10 years ago or members of the guards etc it may be harder

15 compressions to 5 breaths is well gone.

This is an area where developments are being constantly made and no doubt cpr will change many many times and i doubt the exact method will ever be discovered. Some may remember the days before defibs were as common and simplified as they are now the cardiac thump to shock the heart into rhythm.

I wholeheartedly agree everyone should be aware how to do cpr if nothing else.

Add it to the school cirriculum I say

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

strangely enough, I can picture compressions being started on a fainting patient :o

1st of all, no pulse being taken
    now no breaths being given

whats the next step for these "advisors", a protocol for miniature adhesive wound dressings aka plasters :D:D

• Advertisement

Well bilko thats why breaths are checked d'oh

Now the plasters are a whole differnt kettle of fish :p

You should see the paperwork lmao

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Of course, we don't actually use ILCOR / ERC guidelines in Ireland, and the AHA one we do use still have initlal breaths.

They now say the following in relation to CPR for people who may be responding to emergencies:
    For lay rescuers who have a duty to respond to emergencies as part of their job and who have received training in Heartsaver CPR, AED and/or first aid, what kind of CPR should they perform?
    A: These responders may use Hands-Only CPR or conventional CPR if they witness an adult suddenly collapse. The AHA recommends that these responders:

Call 911 and start CPR.

If they ARE CONFIDENT in their ability to provide CPR that includes breaths with high-quality chest compressions with minimal interruptions, then provide either the conventional CPR that you learned (CPR with a 30:2 compression to ventilation ratio) OR Hands-Only CPR. Continue CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use or EMS providers take over care of the victim.

If they ARE NOT CONFIDENT in their ability to provide CPR that includes breaths with high-quality chest compressions with minimal interruptions, then provide Hands-Only CPR. Continue Hands-Only CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use or EMS providers take over care of the victim.

The American Heart Association recommends conventional CPR (that is, CPR with a combination of breaths and compressions) for all infants and children, for adult victims who are found already unconscious and not breathing normally, and for any victims of drowning or collapse due to breathing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    strangely enough, I can picture compressions being started on a fainting patient :o

1st of all, no pulse being taken
    now no breaths being given

whats the next step for these "advisors", a protocol for miniature adhesive wound dressings aka plasters :D:D

You still are told to check for breathing, so hopefully that will save the poor fainting person.

And if I am not mistaked there already is a protocol of best practise on how to put on a plaster

Watching BBC breakfast this morning and they had a representetive from British Heart Foundation and St John Ambulance

They both said if your confident you can give breaths give them, the no breaths is on the basis that an ambulance will be there in less than 5 mins, this is Ireland and unless your extreamly luck we just dont have the type of cover to give this timely response.

Breaths are here to stay by the looks of it

Advertisement