Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing my age here but..

Options
  • 01-04-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

What was the name of the original Irish music festival down the country, began with F, double-barrel name, (I think). I never went, but I heard it was always class....

Help! The above doesnt really translate to a Google search term!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Fleadh Cheoil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Showing your age"? LOL :D:D:D
    Although maybe you mean you're showing how young you are...

All I can think of is only one word: Féile. But that was the first big music festival (there may have been random ones prior to it but this was the first one that would be repeated for the next few years and attracted international names, as well as being more than one day). It was on every year from 1990 to... actually I'm not sure. 1995 maybe. And then there were a couple of mini ones in '96 and '97 (think the one that can't be mentioned was launched around then).
    The 1990 one was almost exclusively made up of Irish acts and was a bit trad, but then in '91, international groups came along. Memorable acts included Bjork, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Paul Weller, Prodigy, Blur. 1990 to 1994 were held in Thurles, Co Tipperary, but 1995 was held in Cork. Not sure where the following ones were held.
    I went in 1995 - it was brilliant (apart from the electricity going at one point!) I was actually in tears when the bassline to I Wanna Be Adored by the Stone Roses kicked in... One of the hottest summers on record - what a weekend! My leaving cert year began a few weeks later - the perfect escape from reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Féile.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Dudess wrote: »
    "Showing your age"? LOL :D:D:D
    Although maybe you mean you're showing how young you are...

All I can think of is only one word: Féile. But that was the first big music festival (there may have been random ones prior to it but this was the first one that would be repeated for the next few years and attracted international names, as well as being more than one day). It was on every year from 1990 to... actually I'm not sure. 1995 maybe. And then there were a couple of mini ones in '96 and '97 (think the one that can't be mentioned was launched around then).
    The 1990 one was almost exclusively made up of Irish acts and was a bit trad, but then in '91, international groups came along. Memorable acts included Bjork, Primal Scream, Stone Roses, Paul Weller, Prodigy, Blur. 1990 to 1994 were held in Thurles, Co Tipperary, but 1995 was held in Cork. Not sure where the following ones were held.
    I went in 1995 - it was brilliant (apart from the electricity going at one point!) I was actually in tears when the bassline to I Wanna Be Adored by the Stone Roses kicked in... One of the hottest summers on record - what a weekend! My leaving cert year began a few weeks later - the perfect escape from reality!

Man I was supposed to be going to that that year, but I broke my ankle in a drinking related incident two weeks beforehand. Remember sitting home and watching Orbital playing on saturday night (delayed broadcast on network 2 /2FM) and being very depressed. All the mates who went said it was the business...some of them didn't make it home for days afterwards. That summer was a scorcher alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I didn't appreciate Orbital at the time and they were on after Stone Roses, so I headed home once the Roses finished. Disgusted with myself.

Yep, I know of a number of people who might have gone a little too "crazy" over that weekend... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement