Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buildings/areas of interest in Sligo!*

• 01-04-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any favourite buildings or places to visit/look at in Sligo? I really like the mall, the whole street is like walking back to victorian Sligo, plus it has the freemasons lodge which is all cool and mysterious and stuff!!!*
    Are there any other interesting buildings in Sligo?

(Exclamations are cool!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

the back end of the friary is interesting too. from what you can see, it's beautiful, tis a pity they tore down the rest of the building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

When I first moved here, people would use the Friary as a landmark when giving directions, no wonder I spent half my time lost, I was expecting a really old church, not a 70's inspired warehouse. Its pretty awful.

I think the Cathedral is amazing, alot of those buildings along there are interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yeah its really not what you'd expect a friary to look like. What is the back side of it though jizzlord? I mean where should one be standing to best view it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I like The Glasshouse.

Yeah its really not what you'd expect a friary to look like. What is the back side of it though jizzlord? I mean where should one be standing to best view it?

if you go towards the entrance on the market yard side and then look around you'll see a big old stainded glass window, mosaics, etc. i remember my grandmother talking about the old friary. it's foundations were failing it, and it was pulled down instead of spending more money fixing it up.

• Advertisement

56113f4ab3feb13e52062771b4f7366f.jpg
    95b2381782adfe8492ec2fd502a0a0f0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

sueme wrote: »
    When I first moved here, people would use the Friary as a landmark when giving directions, no wonder I spent half my time lost, I was expecting a really old church,
    Maybe they meant Sligo Abbey.
    JIZZLORD wrote:
    if you go towards the entrance on the market yard side and then look around you'll see a big old stainded glass window, mosaics, etc.
    Yeah the back of it is nice. You can see the church bells there aswell.
    BTW, my mother was walking up that way yesterday, said there was a couple of suspicious looking Romas / Romanians (?!) congregating there. Maybe thats their new haunt now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like the back end of the Friary, The Abbey, The arts centre, library, Ulster bank, the Ej's building.....all great old buildings.
    I took the bridge to the side of Calry church yesterday, the church looks lovely from the river (if you avoid the wino's)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

I like Sligo Jail in Garavogue Villas - and I like the compund that houses the radio mast in Maugheraboy for entirely different reasons! ;)

The Courthouse is lovely too.

I tell my child not to walk too close the the basement windows, in case the prisoners grab her leg. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The Freemasons building is pretty cool alright but it looks a bit out of place. Apart from the different colour bricks, it's a bit like a house Norman Bates from Psycho would live in! :eek:

masonic.jpg

Sligo Freemason building.

Anthony-Perkins-&-house200.jpg

Norman Bates' house!

I actually thought it was an engineering school of some sort when I first had a good luck at the symbol on the gate. Does anyone know anything about the freemasons in Sligo or is anyone possibly a member?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Ah I was always wondering what that was. Its so cool alright. Probably the nicest building in the town.
    Whats the old building across the road from the cinema? its kinda quirky.
    Lyons and its cafe is nice. (thanks be they haven't gutted it...yet). Their building in Collooney is interesting too. Theres a huge wall separating it form teh road. I love Harmony hill and the warren of streets around it. The view walking down it is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I was in that Building years ago. It's amazing inside!

tuppence wrote: »
    Whats the old building across the road from the cinema? its kinda quirky.

Methodist Church
    www.sligomethodist.org/images/sligo.jpg

Gillie wrote: »
    I was in that Building years ago. It's amazing inside!

Tell us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I really love the glasshouse, especially looking from around Fiddler's there... the old bridge, the Garavogue/Left Bank/Voodoo (which is a lovely building in itself) and the Glasshouse just really look fab together. I know people around here are somewhat divided on it, but from my perspective it's a beautiful building. Not too fond of the back end of it though, that teal siding is going to look rather stupid in 10 or 15 years - it'll get dated too quickly I think. They've got the same stuff on the new Swan Point apartments and Johnston Court, so you're going to have a whole slew of dated buildings soon!

I also like the Belfry. Lovely looking pub.

The courthouse is a beautiful building as well.

The old ruined Abbey.

The Yeats Building.

I'm fond of Lyons' building too, and the Model Niland.

To be honest, the Cathedral isn't a particularly stunning one. It's a nice building but a plain Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I love the Belfry. It looks gorgeous.

Also love the left bank building. I love all of rockwood parade. I think it's looks lovely.

The Model Arts and Niland centre is beautiful too, from the outside anyway.

St Annes Church too.

I don't particularly like the Glass House. I always think it looks like a box of tic tacs! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go so far as to call the model beautiful, but its definitely nice. An imposing, the way it sits on the top of that mound. Also lissadell house is fantastic-I almost had a job there a few years ago. Fun fact; the house is actually 10% smaller than it was intended to be, which leads to some asymmetry on ceilings and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

From the outside, The old building in S,ummerhill is a fantastic sight. Inside well..:rolleyes:

I'd love to have seen it in its finest, when everywhere in the old building was opened up and not boarded up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

St.John's CoI Cathedral is worth a look around if it's open. It's early 18th century with later add ons. Presbyterian church on Chuch Street/Charles Street is nice. The town hall is a nice romanesque building and the banks on Stephen Street are nice too. Calry CoI at the top of the mall is a typical late Georgian church and bigger inside than you would expect from outside. One of the most interesting buildings in town has to be the Clarion hotel which opened as a Lunatic asylum in 1855. Even though it's function has changed it's a very impressive building.

The library is also very nice.

Actually, I think the town hall is neo-classical, not romanesque. On secondthoughts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Markievitz house is always really formidable building too, and especially where it is. Dunno anything bout its period nor its links with that family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

takola wrote: »
    I love the Belfry. It looks gorgeous.

Also love the left bank building. I love all of rockwood parade. I think it's looks lovely.

The Model Arts and Niland centre is beautiful too, from the outside anyway.

St Annes Church too.

I don't particularly like the Glass House. I always think it looks like a box of tic tacs! :rolleyes:

at least two of the buildings you like are a pub takola, do i sense a patern

:D

quite like the showgrounds, the glass house, ejs/BOI building, the catherdral, and the hawkswell/tourst office

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The town hall does it for me in a cool rational Italinate kind of way. The lovely clock tower has in typical Sligo style been recently desecrated by the addition of what appears to be some sort of radio equipment.

Some posters have admired the Lyons building. If you examine the town hall you will see it is designed to be viewed from two sides, the south and west are dressed stone while the east and north sides are rubble faced. The area where Lyons now stands was intended to be a public park, and it was expected that Sligonians could admire the south facing facade from or across this park. However in an early planning scandal developers mamaged to build a department store on the site.

The railway station combines the loveliness of provincial Irish railway architecture (which makes railway journeys here such a pleasure), with a utilatarian monumentality that if it was not for the loss of its roof in the civil war woukd make it the finest railway building in Ireland. The aspect as you leave the station is particularly pleasing dominated by the two Cathedrals close by with Summerhill collge in the background.

The back of the railway station reminds me of the Bastille or something. It's a massive piece of masonry.
    Another building of national importance is the Bacthelor's Foods building on the quays. It was built over a hundred years ago using an advanve (for the time) reinforced concrete construction method. It was the first of it's kind in Ireland, or outside Dublin at least. Not very pretty but still worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.sligotown.net/images/westernwholesalebld.jpg

The western wholesale building and it's tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    I really love the glasshouse, especially looking from around Fiddler's there... the old bridge, the Garavogue/Left Bank/Voodoo (which is a lovely building in itself) and the Glasshouse just really look fab together. I know people around here are somewhat divided on it, but from my perspective it's a beautiful building. Not too fond of the back end of it though, that teal siding is going to look rather stupid in 10 or 15 years - it'll get dated too quickly I think. They've got the same stuff on the new Swan Point apartments and Johnston Court, so you're going to have a whole slew of dated buildings soon!

As far as I know, the design of the Glasshouse is meant to be a ship, with the glass to be the front of it. It looks a bit odd at the moment as the flats are still being built at the back of it, but once its finished completely it should make sense, and not so wierd.

P.S. McLaughlins Bar on High St. If you look at all the photos from one side of the bar through to the other, its like travelling through time, they seem to be in Chronological order (horizontally)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 steve staunton

What Your Fav Building Or Place To Look At??? Lol

Ye Must Be Really Stuck For Topics Here Lads.

Advertisement