Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBMC Question

• 01-04-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Can I use a wireless device to watch/listen to movies/music that I've put on my PC HD? I'm currently running XBMC on a soft-modded original XBOX but my PC is not in the same room as my main TV and I don't want to be running 30m of cable down the apartment.

Anyone have a similar setup?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Not wireless but I've got these.

http://www.devolo.com/co_EN_cs/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html

They allow you to put ethernet through your power. I've three. The Devolo stuff is a bit pricier but I know people who've gotten cheaper models from eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Not wireless but I've got these.

http://www.devolo.com/co_EN_cs/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html

They allow you to put ethernet through your power. I've three. The Devolo stuff is a bit pricier but I know people who've gotten cheaper models from eBay.

Mickoneill30,

Does this mean I could just connect a crossover/ethernet cable from my PC to one part of this devolo device and then connect the other part to my xbox in another room? I'm a bit of a noob at this...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Mickoneill30,

Does this mean I could just connect a crossover/ethernet cable from my PC to one part of this devolo device and then connect the other part to my xbox in another room? I'm a bit of a noob at this...

That'll work I'd imagine. I don't see why not but I haven't tested that config.

The way I have mine is

PC -- Router -- Homeplug -- Homeplug -- Xbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Theres a couple of things to watch out for with these ,

The devices plug into a socket near whatever device you want to connect to your network,

A straight ethernet cable , not crossover , goes from your device to the homeplug.
    The one nearest your PC , either goes to your router , or straight to your PC , you then set up your network as normal. Its best to have a router , that way you can connect multiple devices , its not necessary , but its best.

Depending on your house wiring , it should work , if all your sockets are on the same circuit that is !!

Mine , unfortunately , are not , so I cant connect my PC upstairs , to my HTPC or PS3 downstairs. ( yet more money wasted on gadgets by me ...ah well )

To check , see if you have separate breakers for upstairs and downstairs sockets ...if you do , then the sockets are not on the same circuit and the device wont work.
    If you just have one , then you'll be fine !

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for your help Micko and Mathias, I'm not sure if I want to buy a costly router as well until I see how much I use the Xbox everyday so may opt for the homeplug to PC first and see if it works. I live in a fairly new apartment, so I don't think wiring loops should be an issue!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Do you have wireless broadband ? If you do , then your wireless router will do , it should have a few spare ethernet ports on the back ! Just connect one of the homeplugs here !

mathias wrote: »
    Do you have wireless broadband ? If you do , then your wireless router will do , it should have a few spare ethernet ports on the back ! Just connect one of the homeplugs here !

Unfortunately not...bog standard wired NTL I'm afraid. Service is actually very good just not very practical.

Advertisement