Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any tax to be paid on 9,000 if its an annual wage.

• 01-04-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just left college and started a job making 9,000 for the time im here until I go back to college just wondering does anyone know if i will be charged tax? Are there any tax brackets im under or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

the quick answer is no. you are well under the threshold for paying tax. can't remember the exact figure right now.

you will have to fill out a form called a 12a though. otherwise you'll pay the dreaded emergency tax. some employers sort that out for you and all you have to do is provide your pps number to them.

hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

thanks very much for your help I thought that myself just wanted to double check

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think it's any earnings under ~16k are not taxed, but yeah, look out for emergency tax. It's a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

could be wrong, but don't you always have to pay PRSI? Thought it was only income tax that you didn't have to pay.

to be honest, the crowd in the Revenue Commissioners are extremely helpful if you give them a ring and ask them.

Advertisement