Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolverine

Options
  • 01-04-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Any one know if the up and coming Wolverine movie will be linked to Wolverine origins????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

owlwink wrote: »
    Any one know if the up and coming Wolverine movie will be linked to Wolverine origins????????

its called x-men origins: Wolverine and is set about 2 decades before the events in the first x-men movie. From whats been released its going to focus on the hinted connection in X2 between Wolverine and Stryker - with Creed, Gambit, Deadpool and a couple of others chucked in for good measure.

I don't think they'll thouch on much or any of what was covered in the Origin limited series. one of the reasons they did the origin story was cus they feared a film verision would make one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

ztoical wrote: »
    its called x-men origins: Wolverine and is set about 2 decades before the events in the first x-men movie. From whats been released its going to focus on the hinted connection in X2 between Wolverine and Stryker - with Creed, Gambit, Deadpool and a couple of others chucked in for good measure.

I don't think they'll thouch on much or any of what was covered in the Origin limited series. one of the reasons they did the origin story was cus they feared a film verision would make one up.

It's a good thing they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Havel

sounds good. did Wolverine first appear (in the comics) in the HULK comics, not sure where i heard this. I wouldn't mind seeing THAT movie. Actually, i would like to see any kind of cross-over in the movies, a few character cameos here and there, throw Spider-man into a daredevil movie or something like that. I read that Tony Stark will be the next HULK movie

Havel wrote: »
    sounds good. did Wolverine first appear (in the comics) in the HULK comics, not sure where i heard this. I wouldn't mind seeing THAT movie. Actually, i would like to see any kind of cross-over in the movies, a few character cameos here and there, throw Spider-man into a daredevil movie or something like that. I read that Tony Stark will be the next HULK movie

A nice x-men, spiderman and the punisher tie in may surface when they have spun out everything else.:p

throw Spider-man into a daredevil movie or something like that.

we won't be seeing that for ages if ever - Marvel sold the rights to spiderman and daredevil to different production companies - thats why Kingpin showed up in the daredevil movie but not in any of the spiderman flicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Wolverine first appeared in Hulk 180/181 written by Len Wein I believe, there used to be a prestige format collected edition of those issues, not sure if its still available.

we won't be seeing that for ages if ever - Marvel sold the rights to spiderman and daredevil to different production companies - thats why Kingpin showed up in the daredevil movie but not in any of the spiderman flicks.

Thats interesting to know. I can't say I'm too disappointed.:D

Huh, someone knows their stuff. Thats a shame. Sure will there even be another Daredevil movie, i liked it but i don't think many other people did.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Huh, someone knows their stuff. Thats a shame. Sure will there even be another Daredevil movie, i liked it but i don't think many other people did.

There will almost definitely be another movie, one way or another. Either the rights will lie dormant long enough for a new film to be made without having to battle past the stigma earned by the previous one, or the rights lie dormant for so long that they revert to Marvel who will, if their idea for in-house movie development pays off, then make a far better film based on the concept than the previous version.

I actually quite liked the first one, can't say the same for Elektra...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RickBwarn

owlwink wrote: »
    I actually quite liked the first one, can't say the same for Elektra...
    Indeed, can't say the same for Elektra.. what a bad film.

Fysh wrote: »
    revert to Marvel who will, if their idea for in-house movie development pays off, then make a far better film based on the concept than the previous version.

Whats this in-house movie development you speak of, its sounds interesting. And how would it differ from the current situation?

Whats this in-house movie development you speak of, its sounds interesting. And how would it differ from the current situation?

in-house movie development means Marvel would be producing the movies themselves rather then selling the rights to a movie studio. They would most likely do all the pre-production work then outsource the actually filming to a small production company and post production house.

Very few studios do everything in house any more and out source sections to different smaller companies [Disney for example only do the pre-production and small bits of animation then divide everything up into chunks and hire smaller animation studios to do different sections] Right now depending on the contract Marvel has limited say in how one of their books is developed into a feature film. They usually get a producing credit but most of the time they actually have very little input. They also, again depending on the contract, get limited returns from the profit of the movie and are instead relying on the movie to bring more readers to the comics.

The advantage to in house development is that Marvel would have control over all aspects of the film - such as plot/script development, casting, and crew. The downside is cost as its very expensive to develop everything in house and you hold all the risk if the movie tanks. You also have to be responsible for raising funding, hiring key personnel, and arranging for distributors which can be tricky as like they way diamond control comic distribution there are a few key people who control movie distribution. another downside can be tie in merchandising like the toys with happy meals and in cereal boxes - most of the studios have deals with companies for the tie ins [Macdonalds have, or had I know they were trying to get out of it at one point, a deal with Disney which means they do all the tie in stuff with their happy meals when a new disney movie comes out, the downside is they can only do Disney films and are annoyed when good kiddies films come out from other studios and their rivals, Burger King, get the tie in deal] So if your start making your own films you also need to make your own tie in deals and some companies don't want to piss of the big studios so won't work with you.

An example of a comic studio doing stuff in house would be Mirage - Mirage studios sold the rights to the teenage mutant ninja turtles and as such had very little say when the production company changed details [making them love pizza was not in the comic, nor was all the surfer lingo, and their back story was slightly different to the comic], they also got limited returns from the sale of merchandising. When the rights reverted back to Mirage they made sure when they sold it for development again they didn't sell all the rights and so it become a 50/50 split when they made the new tv show and movie. The downside they had to put in alot of the money and time to develop it but the up side they had much more control over the characters and the story and as such its alot closer to the comic.

Alot of entertainment companies are starting to produce their own films - the WWE [pro wrestling] have started developing films in house - They co-produced some of the Rocks earlier films but The Marine was the first film produce in house. DC don't have to think about doing in house movie development as they are owned by Time Warner who own Warner Brothers, New Line, and several other movie studios.

Advertisement