Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shouldnt have gone to Specsavers

Options
  • 01-04-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I recently order contact lenses with Specsavers in the Uk to get delivered in Ireland.i usually order 3 months and they quote me in Uk pounds.they told me they dont have 3months, only 6 months and they quoted me in euro this time.i checked their english website and for 6months it is 78uk pounds which is about 100euro.but they are charging the irish 155euro.i rang up to complain why we are being ripped off and they just said that the irish website is different even though i usually get charged in pounds before.so i wasnt happy with this excuse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

didn't know u could do that, are you still able to pay in pounds? Or not any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brianw26

hey, yes if you order your contacts make sure you quote in english pounds.the manager of specsavers rang me back and said we had to pay more due to more interest in euro which is crap as they said if i want i could send back the contacts and get a refund and then reorder in uk pounds.delivery is free.which is completly stupid.so not just specsavers any company that is quoting from uk to euro try to quote in pounds as a lot of them are not changing their own exchange rate to the current one at the momment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I used to try to get contacts from Specsavers but all the bloody time they kept saying "We can't give you any more until you've had another eye test". No way was I paying for an eye test every couple of months so I asked for my prescription back so that I could go elsewhere.

The day I went in to collect my prescription it took ages to find. No wonder, they had my name, telephone number and date of birth wrong! And we're trusting these people with our eyesight??!:eek:

I get my lenses online now. No hassle, no unnessecary eye tests (they only require you to have one every 2 years) and the contacts are with me in 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I used to try to get contacts from Specsavers but all the bloody time they kept saying "We can't give you any more until you've had another eye test". No way was I paying for an eye test every couple of months so I asked for my prescription back so that I could go elsewhere..

As an ex employee I can tell you that is a contact lens check and is a legal requirement for people wearing contact lenses and Specsavers would be in huge trouble if they didn't enforce it. All other opticians should be doing the same and if not they are breaking the law. However, a full sight test is only required every two years unless under 16, over 65 or a diabetic.
    The day I went in to collect my prescription it took ages to find. No wonder, they had my name, telephone number and date of birth wrong! And we're trusting these people with our eyesight??!:eek:..

Unfortunately the Socrates system which they use is not the most efficient and is particularly sensitive when searching for customers names. It is however still human error because if the names are being spelt correctly there wouldn't be a problem. This is often due to the non native speakers or sometimes just laziness on the optical assistants behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

lubie76 wrote: »
    As an ex employee I can tell you that is a contact lens check and is a legal requirement for people wearing contact lenses.

Yes, and is required every 2 years, not every four months. Specsavers made a major error when they thought they could rob me blind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

In fairness I had my eye test and lens checkup recently and the optician was very comprehensive.

However I point blank refuse to buy lenses from them neither online nor in-store because, quite simply, they're an absolute rip-off.

I always get my lenses from www.visiondirect.com :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

That seems fairly outrageous about the online ordering. I used to order online myself but I wear the monthlys now (sleep in them) so i don't think I can get those online.

I've no problem with the people in there, they seem sound and the opticians are professional

Its just a pain in the arse getting into the city on a Friday evening for a frickin check up!
    Couldn't they put them in more accessible locations?

Advertisement