Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good pubs for hard rock / heavy metal bands?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My band and I are about to embark on the long and winding road of organising gigs outside of our own hometown (Mallow Co. Cork) and we would like to know the best places to start talking to pub owners for prospective gigs. We are a hard rock / heavy metal covers band doing mostly AC / DC , guns n roses, iron maiden & metallica type stuff. We will travel ANYWHERE. Really what Im after is peoples suggestions for pubs / clubs in their area that might be open to our kind of music.

Any help appreciated!!

Also check out our website on www.partsunknown.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Try Fibber Magees, Voodoo Lounge, Dorans, Crawdaddy(Maybe..) radio city and google.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Trying to name off a few places that aren't too far away from you...

Fred Zeppelin's in Cork should be checked out, but the venue is small. An Crúiscín Lán in Cork may be a possibility, but from memory, they require you get together with 1 or 2 other bands so that a whole night of music is organised. You could try Mikos or An Bodhrán in Mitchelstown ( ! ) too, but don't be disappointed if less than 20 people show up to watch you.

How established are you? Been together long/played many gigs? Best thing to do if you have only recently started is to contact other bands and look for support gigs until you get your feet off the ground

edit -> just re-read and you said 'their area', not 'your' area. oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

thanks for all the suggestions lads. I didnt know there was a bit of a rock scene in mitchelstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

The Blackbird in Ballycotton is good for gigs although it is in the middle of nowhere and you'll probably have to advertise a bit around the place for it.

The Meeting Place in Midleton used to be good for hard rock, but as far as I know, the atmosphere has changed in the last few years and it's not really about music there anymore - just a bunch of teenagers hanging out, but still I love going into the ex-Rory Gallagher tributed pub when I'm home.

In town you should definitely check out Freds - great venue. You should also contact the guys who organise Purgatory that used to be on in Cruisin Lan, then I think it went to the Tikki Lounge and don't have a clue where the alternative night is held at now. I think they feature bands every now and then.

In Clonakilty, De Barra's is a great venue and you'll always get a crowd at the weekend, although you may need to lure people from the front section of the pub to the back if people just happen to be there for drinks as opposed to going to a gig.

Ye should try to contact the organisers of the Mitchelstown Festival and see if ye can get a set in. I think it was on the August bank holiday weekend last year. I know loads of bands that play The Bodhran there.

In Dublin, definitely check out Radio City. Try to get onto Phanton FM aswell to play some of your tracks so listeners can hear your stuff and will make an effort to check you guys out if they like what they hear.

Let us know when and where you're playing so I can check ye out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

try the ballyknockan (Ballyrockan) inn in wicklow, it's right on the blessington lakes and full of durty rockers from wicklow/kildare/dublin

• Advertisement
Advertisement