Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's Clothes in Galway - Pure S%&*e!

Options
  • 01-04-2008 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Anybody ever notice that it is near impossible to get decent men's clothes in this town!!??

I am fed up wandering into the same old places in an effort to find something that suits/fits/looks good, without havin to part with a fortune (Hanleys/Copelands) or find that it disintegrates after two washes (River Island/Topshop)....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Anybody ever notice that it is near impossible to get decent men's clothes in this town!!??

I am fed up wandering into the same old places in an effort to find something that suits/fits/looks good, without havin to part with a fortune (Hanleys/Copelands) or find that it disintegrates after two washes (River Island/Topshop)....

QFT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

aye, galway is terrible for shopping, for a smaller town sligo has a better range of shops (most have only opened in the last few years). plus, there's tk maxx (if you sift through the naff ****e, you can find excellent stuff).

anyway. galway is horribly overpriced and no real range.

It's sickening anytime a new clothes shop opens in Galway and you just know its going to be an effin' womens clothes shop. The new addition on to Pennies made it bigger and, yet, the mens section stays the exact same.

Anyone know any good online shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

i think the thing about online stores, they either dont ship to Ireland or you get hit on duty with customs when they are shipped!

just think the level of shopping is dismal in general. if there is one thing worse than topshop it has got be new look, you barely get it out of the shop before a sleeve falls off in the bag!

brown thomas got a bit better in the last year, but what normally gets an entire wall in dublin is relegated to a four foot rack here. just way too small.

• Advertisement

And on a similar topic. I'm a very slim guy. It's impossibly hard to find shirts that don't make me look like a plank of wood! The only place that provides slim-fit ones is River Island and they cost an arm and a leg.

have a pal like that but he is generally ****ed entirely, must let him know river island might work for him. for me its not size its just choice....wanna look like an english stag party member or a forty yr old pro golfer......thats what it comes down to....

have a pal like that but he is generally ****ed entirely, must let him know river island might work for him. for me its not size its just choice....wanna look like an english stag party member or a forty yr old pro golfer......thats what it comes down to....

They do nice enough shirts in there. Just tell him to make sure to look out for the "Slim-fit" tag on the inside. Only problem is they'd set ya back around 40-60euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Isn't this a re-hash of a couple of older threads (pardon the pun).

I'm kinda on the big side, and the only place I can find clothes to fit is normally Geraghtys, and occasionally Deelys. Watch both for sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Fey! wrote: »
    I'm kinda on the big side, and the only place I can find clothes to fit is normally Geraghtys, and occasionally Deelys. Watch both for sales.

aye, Gerraghtys is pretty good. anytime i've been in there i've nearly always seen something. The rest of the town is real hit and miss though. Galway in general is woeful for shopping. the problem is that because the rents are so high, you don't get enough diversity in the shops for such a relatively small population. There has been the occasional decent place spring up randomly over the years, but they've nearly all been forced to close because of rent afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

The mere thought of clothes shopping in Galway makes me depressed,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

• Registered Users Posts: 11 5t1mes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

www.jcp.com is the website for American chain JC Penney

I bought 2 pairs of Levis 501's plus three cool shirts for a total of €160 (yeah, that's Euros not dollars) in their January sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

mandmdirect is a good site, prices in sterling, but there is a lot of good quality cheap gear. Shipping is cheap too, a flat charge of 10 quid regardless of how much you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I hardly bother to go clothes shopping in Galway any more. If I do its for something as simple as tshirt/boxers/socks.

What annoys me is the bloody prices, honestly for the price of one "Big Name" item in Galway you would easily pick up a full outfit in the US. For example I picked up a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes about 3 years ago in the states for around the $90 mark, from Macy's not a outlet store, then saw them in BT for over 200euro about 2 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Out of interest, where would one go to buy decent baggy jeans? I normally just wear decent t-shirts and the like but always ****ty quality dunnes/pennies jeans, as I can't find any I like in good brands...

I mean come on, Jeans for the price of a sandwich....:D

I've seen one of the shops in the Eyre Sq shopping centre does SuperDry brand T shirts, They may do their jeans too (I hope so, they do a nice skinny leg jean that still gives decent room in the thigh area). Try Origin for skater style brand jeans. It's harder to find fitted jeans than baggy jeans.

I may have to borrow your missus for a clothes shopping expedition to Dublin one day. I miss my female shopping partners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

http://www.fatface.com/ and http://www.howies.co.uk/

For casual stuff may not be the cheapest but stuff is good quality, deliver to Ireland no problem. (fatface have shop in Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

MattKid wrote: »
    The mere thought of clothes shopping in Galway makes me depressed,

Galway is absolute pants for bloke's clothes[no pun intended of course]. Some places don't cater for the non-slim fit gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

It's sickening anytime a new clothes shop opens in Galway and you just know its going to be an effin' womens clothes shop. The new addition on to Pennies made it bigger and, yet, the mens section stays the exact same.

i hear ya man i am a thin lad too and its impossible to get a nice pair of jeans or shirt in galway, pull and bear was great when it was open and i uesd to do all my shopping in there cos it was built for thin spanish lads, but it was taken over by roches a year ago and they have differant range now!

i actually found a pair of levis 512 in roches that fitted for a slim guy perfectly and the price tag was 101e would ya believe so fook that for a game of cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

they have baggy jeans in the army and navy place, but i found with one of the pairs i got the quality was ****e. origin have good stuff but the prices they chare are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Out of interest, where would one go to buy decent baggy jeans? I normally just wear decent t-shirts and the like but always ****ty quality dunnes/pennies jeans, as I can't find any I like in good brands...

I mean come on, Jeans for the price of a sandwich....:D

Ah, Hairy Legs would have been the store for you. Alas, this bastion of street gear is no longer with us (asaik!)

Gravity (or is it 'Origin'?) is a decent store opposite the corn store for what yer looking for. They are expensive though. Mind you, I havn't shopped in Galway for yonks. I usually buy online or if I'm in Glasgow (which is man-clothes heaven by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭chris_oc

deelys, hanleys(very good for sales!!), geraghtys(or however the hell you spell it), on occasion river island and cheap jocks in topman. only half decent places about, but sh1t nevertheless...

the problem is, is that everyone wears the same fuppin' things! its like a fuppin' uniform!

BTW wouldn't go near the tommy hilfiger shop if ya paid me!! :rolleyes:

totally un-pc but someone i know calls it tommy hillsider......dont hit me!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go to Kildare? (haven't been myself)

biko wrote: »
    Go to Kildare? (haven't been myself)

WoooOOoooOOoooo.... Kildare Rawks!!!!

I have friends that work there. I might have to have a weekend away

• Advertisement

Let me know when you're heading up there... I'll meet you for a pint ;)

Advertisement