Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pickled veg

• 01-04-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I'm mad for pickled veg these days! in particular, beetroot, red cabbage and onions. Just wondering what would be the nutritional value of these, near the same as fresh? and what about salt etc in the brine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Check out the Asian Market in South William Street. It has lots of little packets of pickled vegetables of all sorts, and all with nutrition labels on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Ah thanks, I dont live in dublin, but i'll check out my local asian stores - never thought of them tbh:)

I was just concerned about consuming excess salt through pickled products aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It depends what else you eat. If you eat lots of bread and breakfast cereals and ready meals, then yes, excess salt is a consideration. But if most of your food comes from the butcher and the greengrocer, then the odd salty thing is not a problem.

Also, if you work out hard enough that you are scraping salt crystals off your face, then you can eat a lot more salt than someone whose main exercise is clicking the remote control.

Advertisement