Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new ntl modem: 'Receive Power Level'

Options
  • 01-04-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

on the new ntl modems, what is an acceptable value for 'Receive Power Level' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

if it's any help, mine is at 10.6 dbmv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Well There was an artical that I read a few years ago about cable modems in general and they said that anywhere between -8 and + 8 is ok . But that seemed to be a conservative number. I have had anywhere from 0 - 6 recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭col123

thanks, it reassuring to know it can be negative, mines around 1.5dbmv, i thought it might be causing my bb timeouts lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

col123 wrote: »
    thanks, it reassuring to know it can be negative, mines around 1.5dbmv, i thought it might be causing my bb timeouts lately

It probably is. I had time out last week and my power level was -3 - + 2.4 and it wouldn't connect. I think mine is normally around 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The SNR is more important than the actual level. An amplifier at the Modem will increase the level and always slightly degrade the SNR.

SNR should be better (bigger number) than 20dB

• Advertisement
Advertisement