Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA part time course

Options
  • 01-04-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Wondering if anyone can recommend a part time evening course for the CCNA. I'm based in Dublin city centre so would be looking for something in walking distance. Came across Dorset St which costs €3500 and BCT which comes in at €1800. Has anyone ever done a course with BCT? Are they any good?
    Am looking for an evening course in particular as I can't take the time off to do a 5 day intensive course. Also am doing a lot of elearning so fancy a change.
    Thanks
    Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

There all the same really

most of them just read the book to you.

Maybe buy the book and start to self study first.

It's fairly straight forward and most trainers are not technical anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

ntlbell wrote: »
    There all the same really

most of them just read the book to you.

Maybe buy the book and start to self study first.

It's fairly straight forward and most trainers are not technical anyway

I know that the university of limerick have a good setup for this. But I dont know if it can be done part time. And its also prob not where you live. But it might be usefull for someone else who reads the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

I done the course in BCT about two or three years ago. It was ok, good for hands on experience (for me anyway as I had never touched a cisco router before) but in the end, most of the class couldn't get there head around subnetting and too much time was spent going back over that, which meant that part of the ccna course was not looked at. Considering the price difference I would recommend bct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alexgal

Thanks Logic. Think I'll go with BCT as the company are willing to pay for it. Subnetting can be a real pain in the arse I've touched on it several times through work, so I feel your pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Unfortunately I had to cough up outta my own pocket :(
    As its a part time course, you'll get a good bit of home study to do. You need to do it to keep up. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

alexgal wrote: »
    Thanks Logic. Think I'll go with BCT as the company are willing to pay for it. Subnetting can be a real pain in the arse I've touched on it several times through work, so I feel your pain!!

Read the subnetting section in Sybex CCNA by Todd Lammle and you'll have subnetting down in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'll never understand how people will spend thousands for courses like this - for €1800 you could pick up several pieces of actual cisco hardware from ebay, plus a book or two, and still have change left. Unless your company is paying for it, I'd recommend self-study with hardware and either a book or learning software (I'd recommend the Train Signal CCNA course)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

FruitLover wrote: »
    I'll never understand how people will spend thousands for courses like this - for €1800 you could pick up several pieces of actual cisco hardware from ebay, plus a book or two, and still have change left. Unless your company is paying for it, I'd recommend self-study with hardware and either a book or learning software (I'd recommend the Train Signal CCNA course)
    I agree.

I paid €632 for a 2 year evening course 4 years back. Am sorry I ever did. I didnt do the CCNA exam at the time but getting ready to sit it shortly now.

I am using CBT Nuggets to study this time along some other books. I find the CBT Nuggets CCNA videos excellent - really teach you alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

im doing the one in dorset college at the mo
    fas funded 66% percent of it so it cost just over 1,000

id recommend it there over BCT (i did an mcp there it was bad)

Id also recommend getting other sources than just the cisco press books which seem excessively wordy in explanations -
    subnetting is easy once you get it! like anything, you get it...

its quite a voluminous course though, so be prepared to put in the hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I done the ccna with BCT about 5years ago, i think they've even moved premises since. TBH I wudnt pay the money, all they really did was go through the book and mess around with a couple of routers. Didnt give any preperation for the exam, tips on how to pass it, exam material etc. I personally found the BOSON router simulators really helpful, aswell as the CBT's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Joe-so

I finished a CCNA course a few months back in BCT and found the course very hands on with labs in each class. The course covered all the topics in the new CCNA and each student had his own router. At the end they went through the exam question scenarios in the last 2 classes. It finaly got me over my fear of subnetting.

Joe.

Advertisement