Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with GF

Options
  • 01-04-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Video games, smart arses.

Right well I'm a bit of a gamer, got a 360 and Wii. The GF has always been a fan of games too but she refuses to play any of my 360 games (as they are all, bar 2, FPS)

We've pretty much exhausted our options on Wii; Sports, Play, WarioWare...

Can anyone recommend a fun, non FPS, local multiplayer game for me and her, preferably for 360?

I'm thinking Rock Band or GHIII?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

is it just fps? or shooters in general!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Let her play Viva Pinata, i didnt get near my 360 for ages after letting herself play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

folan wrote: »
    is it just fps? or shooters in general!
    All shooters I suppose!
    Melion wrote: »
    Let her play Viva Pinata, i didnt get near my 360 for ages after letting herself play it.
    Funny that as I was going to get this in a bundle deal before herself found a better bundle lol

Whats the jazz with Viva Pinata? I've seen plenty of 2nd hand copies so I might give it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'd second Viva Pinata

aside from that
    erm

Mario Galaxy?

Maybe the solution would be a DS, most of the non-gamers i know have taken a shine to DS games like Harvest Moon, Zoo keeper, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros. Pokemon and cooking mama (shut it you, it's a good game)

Plus if they are rubbish at a game, they aren't publicly rubbish at it (as in, their lack of gaming skill isn't shown on your giant Tv in glorious HD), which i think helps people who aren't gamers to get over their self consciousness.
    Nobody likes being shown up as an uncordinated lummox infront of everyone in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

tony hawks? outside of shooters, i dont play much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Girls playing video games?! Ha madness!!!

http://www.uncleclive.co.uk/IMAGES/gfgamer.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

magick wrote: »

Oh aren't you so edgy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

magick wrote: »

Even taken ironically, thats about as funny as an STD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Lego Star Wars cant go wrong with the coop in that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How about Beautiful Katamari? Easy to get into and loadsa fun to play. Havent played the 360 version as its meant to be too similiar to the PS2 one, but the gameplay is top notch. Has co-op and multiplayer too, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I played through "Spiderman: Friend or Foe" with the wife and we had a blast. The game is fairly easy to pick up also. Its sort of like the old Streets of Rage scrollers in gameplay. The game really isn't even worth playing unless you are going to play it in coop. Its no fun wrapping a baddie up in web when the AI ally doesn't have the sense to attack him while he's disabled.

The game becomes another animal in coop though when you can tell your GF to wrap a baddie up in web while you charge at him with Rhino, or any of the other medley of spiderman characters. Then you can switch around with you playing as spidey.

Also, there is an excellent arena mini game which lets you fight against each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find that Beat'em ups tend to go down well but only if you don't train in them and are just as rubbish at them as the girls. The girls I play games with love Soul Calibur 2 because they beat me more times than I beat them and get to slag me off over it.
    Guitar Hero always goes down a charm as does singstar (don't be shy, the bad singers always have the most fun ;) )

I'd second Viva Pinata

aside from that
    erm

Mario Galaxy?

Maybe the solution would be a DS, most of the non-gamers i know have taken a shine to DS games like Harvest Moon, Zoo keeper, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros. Pokemon and cooking mama (shut it you, it's a good game)

We got Mario Galaxy, it didn't seem to intrigue her as much as I thought it might.

Got her a DS too, To be fair she would play that a bit, she loves new super mario (who doesn't?) and has the brain & sight training.

Got her Elite Beat Agents too! (this may or may not have been for me ;)) but she won't seem to play it :(
    Stev_o wrote: »
    Lego Star Wars cant go wrong with the coop in that

One of the games I got bundled with the DS originally, I love it, she absolutley detests the game.

I may have to invest in some of Lord of Cheeses' recommendations.

Ta.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find that Beat'em ups tend to go down well but only if you don't train in them and are just as rubbish at them as the girls. The girls I play games with love Soul Calibur 2 because they beat me more times than I beat them and get to slag me off over it.
    Guitar Hero always goes down a charm as does singstar (don't be shy, the bad singers always have the most fun ;) )

Ur 100% right actually, as far as I can remember games, I can remember girls loving beat em up's! I haven't got a good one in ages. Maybe SFIV could be the game to do it, any idea on release dates or still TBC?

Thanks for the Spiderman suggestion too, although her hatred of all things fiction may play a part in that ideas demise.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Smash Bros Brawl maybe (whenever it comes out over here)

Holy generalisations, Batman :(

Holy fake indignation, robin.

Holy fake indignation, robin.

Why would it be fake?

The OP wants games recommended for his gf, instead of replies treating her as if she was a PERSON who doesn't like fps games, its because she's a girl, and 'girls like beat em ups especially if you play crap, bless their little heads'.

Retr0gamer wrote:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Silverfish wrote: »
    The OP wants games recommended for his gf, instead of replies treating her as if she was a PERSON who doesn't like fps games, its because she's a girl, and 'girls like beat em ups especially if you play crap, bless their little heads'.

Well it's only an observation. The girls hate playing me at street fighter 2 because I completely destroy them but can't get enough of kicking my ass at soul calibur.

I suggest the OP bring his gf game shopping and see what she likes.

If all you have except 2 games are fps, and she doesn't like fps, doesn't leave her much option.

• Advertisement

Why would it be fake?

Except that all of the replies have been along the lines of "games for people who don't play games" or "Games my girlfriend/wife has enjoyed" bar the token fool with the unfunny image link.

Even the post you quoted is pure truth dispite using the word "girls" instead of the more correct "everyone" as it can be applied to anyone regardless of gender.
    Nobody likes playing any competitive game where there is a massive gulf in skill, which is why a beat 'em up that neither person is too good at was recommened. Short bursts of fun and bragging rights.
    Sounds good to me.

So yeah, in short, i'm calling bollox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My wife detests all things video gaming, so me and my gaming are done in stolen moments during the day and late at night, every time try to engage her interest in something good she just gives me THAT LOOK, and walks away.

not sure about video gaming with GF, I'll have to ask her as soon as the wife goes out!

So yeah, in short, i'm calling bollox.

I think that maybe not being of that gender, you don't really see how condescending it is, but sure, not to worry.

I've found its that attitude that puts most girls off gaming. The OP's gf may be feeling the same way.

I think that maybe not being of that gender, you don't really see how condescending it is, but sure, not to worry.

I've found its that attitude that puts most girls off gaming. The OP's gf may be feeling the same way.

How in any way is it condescending? I made a generalisation about girls liking beat em up's because generally, they do.

Yeah so she doesn't like shooters, thats her, and that's why I've been asking for suggestions for 360 games.

And since you have contributed absolutley nothing to the thread please stop posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

To the risk of appearing the uber-predictable:
    * Mario Kart Wii is out soon (11/04, I believe)
    * Wii Fit is out soon after that

armour87 wrote: »
    How in any way is it condescending? I made a generalisation about girls liking beat em up's because generally, they do.

Yeah so she doesn't like shooters, thats her, and that's why I've been asking for suggestions for 360 games.

And since you have contributed absolutley nothing to the thread please stop posting here.

1) Didn't say you were the one being condescending

2) I recommended you bring her game shopping, that was a contribution , and a females opinion too, how many others of those have you gotten so far? Um, none?

3) I don't think you can tell me to stop posting here. you can report my posts if you feel they are offensive or against the charter.

Anyway, I'm just trying to explain to you ( but mainly the rest of the posters) why girls might be uncomfortable playing games around ye.

/shrug

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I seen a little girl destroy a 19 year old at guitar hero, anyone can play it! So i would recommend that or rock band.

Or you could get army of two and team up with your GF in Co-op mode...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I can second Smash Bros Brawl... The missus and me played through the adventure mode's wonderful co-op play.

Unfortunately, and much to my dismay, she doesn't like the brawl mode as much, which is the whole point!
    She doesn't like it because I annihilate her and even if I set my handicap damage way up and she wins, she only feels a hollow victory.

And if she reads this post, I'm done for! :)

At least she can kick her sister's arse at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Also, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles is good co-op play... It's a shooter, but it's got zombies, and most women I've come across dig zombies.

Then of course mario kart, or any of the mario sports games are good fun multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't understand what is a 'girl's game'.

There are different people who like different games I know blokes that don't play shooters and only like beatem ups and soccer games and racing games.

I know women who like wow, resi, halo, gta, quake, ut and battle feild.

The trick is to find out what she likes rather then getting her one of the barbie horse adventure.

Yes my daughter loves viva pinata but she also plays Halo 3 co op with her brother
    and they both loved crash team racing.

Maybe try something with a story, that you can both play.

Advertisement