Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games with GF

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Silverfish wrote: »
    I think that maybe not being of that gender, you don't really see how condescending it is, but sure, not to worry.

I've found its that attitude that puts most girls off gaming. The OP's gf may be feeling the same way.

Calling someone when you think they're talking rubbish is putting girls off gaming?
    well.....It's pretty tenuous, i'll give you that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Calling someone when you think they're talking rubbish is putting girls off gaming?
    well.....It's pretty tenuous, i'll give you that.

No, that's not it.... but like I said, you won't spot it.

There's no such thing as 'games for girls'.

There's games for people. So whether its the OP's girlfriend, best mate or boss, there's no such thing as a specific 'game' that 'girls go for'.

So, posts recommending you get a game you're 'as crap at as the girls' is a bit condescending, and besides that, how can a bunch of strangers recommend a game not even for the poster himself, but for his girlfriend, who we know nothing about?

All the info we have is 'she's a girl' and everyone jumped on that. Why should gender matter? I know plenty of blokes who don't game, and won't ever game. You are missing the point. Its the attitude towards that (not being called on 'talking rubbish', wherever you got that from) that puts girls off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Sex?

passive wrote: »
    Sex?

She doesn't like first person shooters.

No, that's not it.... but like I said, you won't spot it.

There's no such thing as 'games for girls'.

There's games for people. So whether its the OP's girlfriend, best mate or boss, there's no such thing as a specific 'game' that 'girls go for'.

So, posts recommending you get a game you're 'as crap at as the girls' is a bit condescending, and besides that, how can a bunch of strangers recommend a game not even for the poster himself, but for his girlfriend, who we know nothing about?

All the info we have is 'she's a girl' and everyone jumped on that. Why should gender matter? I know plenty of blokes who don't game, and won't ever game. You are missing the point. Its the attitude towards that (not being called on 'talking rubbish', wherever you got that from) that puts girls off.

Because the above is, indeed, a big load of rubbish.

Well, not exactly, you are right in so far as "games for girls" don't really exist. What does exist are games for non-gamers, casual games, if you will.
    But seeing as girls tend to be a large subsection of non-gamers people can be forgiven for using the two terms interchangeably.

And to give eveyone on this thread their due, they've done a pretty good job, plenty of decent games and no FPS (aside from the joke nomination of Army of two). The only person who recommended "a game you're 'as crap at as the girls'" was actually spot on.
    Remove the word girl from the sentance and replace it with non-gamer.

As i said before nobody likes playing against somone who is miles ahead of them, the OP is asking for a game he can play with his lady, it makes perfect sense to pick something that he won't trounce her at, thats not fun.

Basically, you've seen one poorly worded but well intentioned post and can't see beyond that, i think you're being a tad unfair on everyone in this thread, they've given plenty of good recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ghost Squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Even taken ironically, thats about as funny as an STD.

see your speaking from experience

Because the above is, indeed, a big load of rubbish.

And to give eveyone on this thread their due, they've done a pretty good job, plenty of decent games and no FPS (aside from the joke nomination of Army of two). The only person who recommended "a game you're 'as crap at as the girls'" was actually spot on.
    Remove the word girl from the sentance and replace it with non-gamer.

As i said before nobody likes playing against somone who is miles ahead of them, it makes perfect sense to pick something that he won't trounce her at, thats not fun.

Basically, you've seen one poorly worded but well intentioned post and can't see beyond that, i think you're being a tad unfair on everyone in this thread, they've given plenty of good recommendations.

Like you saw my one post of 'Holy Generalisations, Batman' and can't see past that?

gg.

Edit: probably best to agree to disagree at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm gonna pretend this isn't a thread about girls etc and go with this...

Some multiplayer games on the 360 that aren't FPS:

Lego Star Wars, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Burnouts maybe? Smashing cars into other cars! Dead or Alive 4, not co-op but still...

There are some good co-op Xbox original games that are compatible with the 360, off the top of my head I enjoyed the co-op in Stubbs the Zombie. It's not a fantastic game, and it's pretty short, but it's fun and more likely to engage a non-gamer than something like Gears of War.

Why does she dislike or refuse to play FPS games? I get some people aren't into them, but as far as multiplayer games go they're the bulk of them, maybe if she gave them a try she'd like them.

An approach of "what kind of games would a non-gamer like" is better than "what kind of games would girls like". If someone asks me what kind of games a girl would like my answer is no different than for guys, go by what kind of games someone has played before and has enjoyed and use that as a base.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

LMAO @ Silverfish's "First person shooter" comment :D

I've kinda gotta agree with both sides of this argument though...

Girls don't have a "type" of game, there are no "games for girls". There are "games for little girls" featuring horses and the like, but suggest those to a lady friend and experience the unpleasantness of regurgitating your own gonads...

However, the OP did suggest that his girlfriend would be more a casual gamer, and there definately are games that appeal more to casual gamers, so a lot of the "My girlfriend likes X, Y and Z" messages are relevant, and helpful, and are generally the games that ANYONE can enjoy.

I think Koneko has said it already... go with what they seem to like individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Rapeplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I second viva pinata to keep her quiet... my girlfriend is addicted to that game haha, but maybe try guitar hero or table tennis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Everybody loves SC2.

EVERYBODY.

Like you saw my one post of 'Holy Generalisations, Batman' and can't see past that?

gg.

Edit: probably best to agree to disagree at this stage.

Well, you did start it ;)

Fair enough, agree to disagree, but i'd love to know what the edited out FPS comment was.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

By labeling certain games as 'girls' the rest are by default 'not girls' games which is a load of bollixs and is off putting and offensive to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Just download a load of demo's and let her decide from there?
    Cars went down very popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The only games that I can think of, which clearly should be labelled 'girl games' without contest, are those very few of the Barbie / My Little Poney genre. The reason is simple: they are made and marketed as such. So there's no point faffing about semantics.

Past these, then everything ticks boxes for one game genre or the other but, as most recently typified by the average NDS (or Wii) customer profile, gender really doesn't come into it at all.

People tend to forget very rapidly that gaming coolness (and social acceptance across demographics genders) is a very recent affair, and that although 'non-girl gamers' (i.e. the early/teen males of yesteryear on Saturns and of today on XB360) appear more vociferous, they were the norm but few then (because it was a niche market) , and remain few today because increasingly not the norm anymore (because of "mainstreamisation" & increasing disparity of platforms and titles).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

but i'd love to know what the edited out FPS comment was.....

It's not edited out.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Rayman Raving Rabbids 1&2. Had great craic playing through them with the GF and her mates too. Gears of War on Co-Op? N+. Bomberman on Xbox Live Arcade. Resident Evil 4 on Wii has gone down well with mine, but I think Gears has opened her up to "that sort of thing".
    Guitar Hero is a big hit as well, more 2 than the crazy hard 3. Brawl's already been said and Mario Kart too.
    For solo-play, you can't go wrong with Zelda.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I do think the girls here are right, each is different. My wife hates Viva Pinata, the Sims and any of those games pushed as a "girls game" She does however like coop games, puzzle games (i.e. popcap games like peggle and bejeweled) and retro SNES games. Thing is I don't think her taste in games has anything to do with her sex, it has more to do with her upbringing, the same as any guys taste in games.

I can also understand the girls in here getting irritated. If someone started up a thread titled "Games to play with my black friend" there'd be an uproar but it seems ok to completely generalise ~50% of the population into liking a specific genre of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    not sure about video gaming with GF, I'll have to ask her as soon as the wife goes out!

Boom tish :)
    I don't think you got the credit you deserved for that classic line ;)

OP, I've tried to get my wife to like any games,
    I went and got myself a PSP, she would only play sudoku on it....got bored.
    Then a DS, she played zoo keeper for ages.....then got bored.
    I tried to get her to play the 360, not a hope in hell.
    Then I thought I'd get a Wii, she does play it but only if we have friends over.
    Maybe its because I always win but I suck a losing, competitive is an understatement.

Anyway I'm sure none of that helped ;) so I'll just go back to my corner.

It's not edited out.

Ohh yeah, i see it now, clearly i was being a bit of a plank.
    Nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭netopia789

any of the ff than

Advertisement