Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cult of Scientology

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Isn't Scientology a religion now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

They have a building now? wait till i get my angry mob, pitch forks and burning torches. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

Wicknight wrote: »

It's officially a religion but seriously....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Damn Christians have a few buildings here in Limerick too.

We're all doomed I tells ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wicknight wrote: »
    Not in this country. Or any other right thinking country afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

they have been in abby street for more than 10 years i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

collie1 wrote: »

They have been there even longer than 10 years, they were there when i was a teenager and would get the bus on middle abbey street. free personality test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Scientology hleped me with my dislexia.

Yeah it's been there a while, trying to gage how people feel in general about the cult itself....but the obvious idiots are out with their funboy remarks

the obvious idiots are out with their funboy remarks
    Even more obvious would have been to search the forum to see if the topic of Scientology had come up before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055050639

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054933885

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905081

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055218323

I think all the serious stuff has been said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

look up the late late show scientology show from years ago, unless its one of the youtube links you posted (can not watch them here).

I have no feeling about them as i have no dealings with them. Now would i.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They're a gang of mentalists, simple as that.

Saruman wrote: »
    They have been there even longer than 10 years, they were there when i was a teenager and would get the bus on middle abbey street. free personality test.

yeah i remember some english gob****e trying to ask me to do some test. i know what i told him as well;)

yeah i remember some english gob****e trying to ask me to do some test. i know what i told him as well;)

:D

yeah i remember years ago when I was in my teens getting the bus near there and I had heard about the FREE IQ test, if I knew back then what I do now I would have done a lot more than just laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Why would i care about them, there nuts! But i think anyone who lives there life devoted to a religion is nuts.

At least they get spaceships.

Dades wrote: »
    Scientology hleped me with my dislexia.

A doctor helped me with mine, but i dont worship her.

A doctor helped me with mine, but i dont worship her.
    No, but like Scientology she was in it for the cash. ;)

Dades wrote: »
    No, but like Scientology she was in it for the cash. ;)

That's kinda what those freaks really want, crazy how much you pay for their "books of knowledge"

That's kinda what those freaks really want, crazy how much you pay for their "books of knowledge"

its all coming back to me now.those fruit cakes wanting money off me fo some tiny little book

its all coming back to me now.those fruit cakes wanting money off me fo some tiny little book

Stupid cult, it's all ****ed up. It's interesting to watch the efforts people make to disrupt it on youtube.

That's what's frustrating about us Irish, when it boils down to it we're too ****ing lazy to do anything about anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

There were two protests at their Abbey Street office within the last couple of months, dunno how succesful they were but apparently the people involved handed out quite a lot of leaflets and stuff about scientology and some of it's shady dealings

orestes wrote: »
    There were two protests at their Abbey Street office within the last couple of months, dunno how succesful they were but apparently the people involved handed out quite a lot of leaflets and stuff about scientology and some of it's shady dealings

Ah finally....something positive :D

that's good to hear

is it a common thing?

Ah finally....something positive :D

that's good to hear

is it a common thing?

i was in amsterdam over the paddy's w/end. the held a rally over there and also handed out leaflets about this cult. they really are nuts

handed out leaflets about this cult. they really are nuts

Cult + Time = Religion
    eezarthegreat
    but the obvious idiots are out with their funboy remarks

Scientology is exceptionally odd. And my standard for odd is parthenogenesis and public cannibalism once a week. But I think it is worth looking at their beliefs to see where they stand on the scale of viciousness.

To take one issue: Homosexuality
    Anglicans: We will have a fight amongst ourselves to decide if we can marry you
    Catholics: You can be it you just cannot do it
    Scientology: You can be cured of it like we cured various celebrities we wont mention for libel reasons
    Islam: We will hang you for it

It is easy to rag on scientology because Xenu has to be the funniest idea for a Devil figure ever but I think it is worth pointing out that the worlds most major religion has more actively harmful actions carried out in its name.

cavedave wrote: »
    Cult + Time = Religion

Scientology is exceptionally odd. And my standard for odd is parthenogenesis and public cannibalism once a week. But I think it is worth looking at their beliefs to see where they stand on the scale of viciousness.

To take one issue: Homosexuality
    Anglicans: We will have a fight amongst ourselves to decide if we can marry you
    Catholics: You can be it you just cannot do it
    Scientology: You can be cured of it like we cured various celebrities we wont mention for libel reasons
    Islam: We will hang you for it

It is easy to rag on scientology because Xenu has to be the funniest idea for a Devil figure ever but I think it is worth pointing out that the worlds most major religion has more actively harmful actions carried out in its name.

I'm by no means defending "the worlds most major religion" but fact of the matter is this cult is gaining ground and it's apparent that people her feel like I do. Which is good to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'd be more inclined to take scientology seriously if L. Ron Hubbard was crucified. And not a science fiction writer.

Can we crucify Tom Cruise instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

At least they get spaceships.

Damn site better than an aul wafer of bread on a sunday morning.

Wonder how much cash you have to give em to get one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

seamus wrote: »
    Not in this country. Or any other right thinking country afaik.

What a wonderfully absurd thing to say. No right thinking country would accept a religion that is based on the galactic emperor Xenu, whereas our flesh-eating blood-drinking zombie-Jesus self-hating impending-apocalypse cult is the exact sort of thing that a right thinking nation would get on board with.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Zillah wrote: »
    What a wonderfully absurd thing to say. No right thinking country would accept a religion that is based on the galactic emperor Xenu, whereas our flesh-eating blood-drinking zombie-Jesus self-hating impending-apocalypse cult is the exact sort of thing that a right thinking nation would get on board with.
    Most of "right thinking" countries have evolved with said religions already in place before the country was. None of the modern western countries "Got on board" with Christianity, it was already there.
    Ideally we would not distinguish between any religions, they'd all have the same, "weird sect" status, but we do have to share our government with these believers. So we're as close to "right-thinking" as we can get for the moment.

There's a fair argument to say that if Christianity hadn't been in place, what we consider "right-thinking" today would be something altogether very different.

Most western countries recognise that so long as a belief system asks nothing except belief and devotion froms its followers, it can't be that bad.

When the belief system demands money from its followers or engages in underhand tactics to try damage the reputation of its detractors, then we have a serious problem.

• Advertisement

Lions 3: Christians 0
    I do not think people should be persecuted for their religious beliefs (or lack of them). I do not think persecuting a religion works, I think it just makes it stronger.

I do think people should be mocked for their religious beliefs. Particularly those that involve aliens.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aRe0e-Vr0-U

I also think they should be mocked for that creepy Tom Cruise promotional video.
    When the belief system demands money from its followers or engages in underhand tactics to try damage the reputation of its detractors, then we have a serious problem.
    I agree once people start kidnapping and threatening people then you need legal sanctions. Up till then though pointing and laughing might be a better course.

Advertisement