Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help or I'll go bust

Options
  • 01-04-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I live in a very rural part of West Cork. There is no chance of DSL broadband here ever.

There are no 3G signals, the mountain in front of my house makes mobile phone calls a problem, from all networks. There is no wireless. In short there is nothing.

I was using MediaSat's one-way sat system until they went bust recently and found it fine for my needs. Now I am in the stink. I've been warned off National Broadband.

What the hell can I do without taking Eamon Ryan hostage?

I'm not a techy so jargon passes me by. The Media Sat system was excellent for me, I work a good bit from home but mainly need to use the net for downloading.

I'm willing to pay for any kind of system that means I can continue working from home. I'm currently having to drive an extra 100 miles a week to the office as a result, hardly eco-friendly.

Can anyone help, is there any alternative to my dial up that maxes out at 22k?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Move?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

line of sight transmitter/receiver on the roof connecting you to a person who's close enough to "civilisation" to have maybe DSL which you could share?

or some sort of repeater to get some signals your way.

what's the closest person to you who's also able to get DSL? once you had that you could see if it was even a starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Move?

Thanks Paul.

Can't log on to any of the property websites though.

EL_Loco wrote: »
    line of sight transmitter/receiver on the roof connecting you to a person who's close enough to "civilisation" to have maybe DSL which you could share?

or some sort of repeater to get some signals your way.

what's the closest person to you who's also able to get DSL? once you had that you could see if it was even a starter.

Nearest DSL is about four miles away in Rosscarbery as far as I'm aware. There are some people about a mile from me, "up in the village" who can pick up a Digiweb wireless service. But even there there's no line of sight to them. I'm down in a valley.

• Advertisement

I have the MediaSat Dish and modem. Can I use these for any other sat service?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I haven't used any of these satellite providers, so I can't say for certain, but I doubt that they use proprietary hardware, so if I had to guess, I'd say yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Why dont you try www.teles-skydsl.com, they have good packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thanks Paul.

Can't log on to any of the property websites though.

LOL :D

I hope my original comment didn't come across offensive, I meant it in a "What choice do you have in this country?" Kind of way. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dysman

I live in a very rural part of West Cork. There is no chance of DSL broadband here ever.

There are no 3G signals, the mountain in front of my house makes mobile phone calls a problem, from all networks. There is no wireless. In short there is nothing.

I was using MediaSat's one-way sat system until they went bust recently and found it fine for my needs. Now I am in the stink. I've been warned off National Broadband.

What the hell can I do without taking Eamon Ryan hostage?

I'm not a techy so jargon passes me by. The Media Sat system was excellent for me, I work a good bit from home but mainly need to use the net for downloading.

I'm willing to pay for any kind of system that means I can continue working from home. I'm currently having to drive an extra 100 miles a week to the office as a result, hardly eco-friendly.

Can anyone help, is there any alternative to my dial up that maxes out at 22k?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I guess the question is what sat is your dish pointing at, It would be easiest for you if you didn't have to climb a ladder.

I'm not familiar with the Media Sat equipment but I use Opensky through Broadsat.com, the cost varies between €15 to €18 depend on the offers when you renew your subscription but they have flat rate packages as well maybe check them out on www.broadsat.com, I found them ok to deal with and to get set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Why dont you try www.teles-skydsl.com, they have good packages.

Does anyone have any experience with these guys? Im half thinking of getting this until FWA comes to my area in next few months and after that use it as a backup option.

Any comments welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It works well, but it is only a Download accelerator. Basically either a USB satellite TV receiver or PC PCI card Satellite receiver. You still need your phone line for duration of connection and it is still used entirely for upload and some download. While theoretically it can be shared to more than one PC, it's not simple or practical to do that.

If you use internet a lot but are prepared to ditch your phone line saving call and Line rental, then HSDPA/3G/EDGE or two way satellite can work out cheaper than dialup, when you add the line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

I live not far from Reenascreena (the village that is), and was in a similar situation.
    Never mind ADSL, I could barely get 19.2k with a modem.

I now have wireless broadband access, from these guys:

http://rapidbroadband.ie/

I've had it over a year and it's been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

swampgas wrote: »
    http://rapidbroadband.ie/

I've had it over a year and it's been excellent.

They cover all the way down to Skibereen, so I definatly think they cover around Roscarbery, too. Coverage is mostly down the cost area.

/Martin

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I've tried Rapid but they don't reach the bottom of the valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Give Digiweb a shout and discuss their sat options. They might be able to reuse your kit - dont know off hand. Alternately they can supply you with alternate sat services pending on your requirement(s).

Advertisement