Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNG propaganda

Options
  • 01-04-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

Really couldn't believe what I found in my letterbox today - a leaflet from Douglas Newman Good (Stillorgan office) claiming SALES ARE UP etc and encouraging home owners to contact them.

It has a big coloured chart showing that the number of enquiries their office has had in Feb 08 has increased by 25% since Feb 07 and trebled since Dec 07!!!

Unbelievable - of course they don't substantiate their "sales are up" headline as they can't and of course their bullsh!t chart comes from internal enquiry numbers which are obsiously made up

I feel sorry for anyone taken in by this kind of thing - and I'm sure their are some

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Anecdotal evidence suggests that sales are indeed up, but has to be taken in the context of them being practically nil last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Savills sent out the same thing in the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

if sales (only if) are really up; they are busy in selling houses and sending letters. Did you ever get any letter when sales were really up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

confuzed wrote: »
    if sales (only if) are really up; they are busy in selling houses and sending letters. Did you ever get any letter when sales were really up.

Yeah, every six months to a year during the boom. Amusing because I always thought about what sort of person would get one of them through the door and think "Actually, I wouldn't mind selling my home"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Getting the same junk through my letterbox this year, both Savills (twice) & DNG trying to outdo each other with statistics showing the number of new instructions and viewing index. Lisney also put flyers through my door.

What this tells me is the number of buyers has fallen off a cliff and competition among Estate agents is fierce, many Estate agencies rationalised last year and the displaced agents simply formed their own companies and set up shop themselves.
    So if the EA's don't get the instructions they have no possibility to earn what reduced commission is out there. I am also beginning to see more houses advertised with two or more agencies, and also houses going up as sale agreed and then two months later on the market again with a different agent.

Speaking of flyers through the letterbox, I'm also getting plumbers and electricians offering to do jobs - no job too big or small.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

It has a big coloured chart

Well that's good enough for me. A man in a white lab coat saying that the enquiries had been "clinically tested" would have a nice touch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got a brochure in the letter box (Dublin 6) yesterday that I mistook for one of those freebie magazines. I had a look through it, despite it being about 16 pages all the pictures were either generic or computer generated and it took them several pages in before they mention it was in Portlaoise.

Advertisement