Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drop leg Holsters

• 01-04-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for people's experiences with drop leg holsters. I don't mean the crap $6 ones on ehobby, but the seemingly more "sturdy" ones like this that don't have a tendency to flap about when bounding between cover, holsters like these...

molle holster
    or
    this
    or
    this in OD

Now I know that drop-legs are a bit of a hot topic but i'm going for a U.S. ACU/OD loadout so I'll have very little room on the CIRAS vest, and I think the right types look cool. Any advice would be appreciated, not "avoid like a plague of locust infested murderous monkeys with dandruff" :D. reasons would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

I have a drop leg holster similar to the last link. I use a TM MK23 SOCOM in it which is a big heavy gun anyway.

I found that when attached to my waistbelt that my waistbelt would be dragged down when I was running.
    I got to the stage where I just took the damn thing off altogether and didnt use a sidearm. I must try the M9 in it soon as Ive only used the MK23 in the holster.

but I did find myself wanting for a holster integrated into a combat vest or an old fashioned side holster.

But yea I agree, those drop leg holsters look so cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I hate drop leg holsters myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

I kind of figured as much about those holsters in general (I have a cheap ehobby one....it's sh1te) but the thing is I can't find a Fobus that fits the P229, I sold one that did not fit, the slide was too wide for the holster.

I suppose the only other option is to molle one to the CIRAS...or my helmet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Without a proper harness, that hangs off your shoulders, they can be a real pain in the ass.

How about if it is directly attached to the vest? Would that make do without getting the shoulder harness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I have a Viper drop leg holster with additional seperate three magazine pouch.

Other than the very obvious point of dropping to the ground on top of the Airsoft pistol, I personally wouldn't change from it.

The belt is wide, sturdy and comfortable. The magazine pouch is fine, the long flaps offer slightly greater protection to the magazines.

The actual holster itself can detach from the belt. It also has elasticated leg straps (x2) and I've found that on occassion you could actually detach it from the belt and the holster would hardly move down your leg (although I wouldn't recommend doing this for a prolonged period as the holster could very well work its way down to your ankle at an inopportune time!) It provides great protection to an Airsoft pistol and the long strap to secure the Airsoft pistol is very easy to adjust and release in a hurry too, even if your hands are cold. Just grab it and yank it. Its secure enough to ensure a snug fir when correctly adjusted with no danger of loosing an Airsoft pistol from it. Although to be absolutly certian you could always use a bungee (which may interfere with rapid deployment, but if only intending using the Airsoft pistol as a secondary then would be fine).

I'll see if I have a part number and post it here so others can review and see what they think.

I reckon you either love or hate this type of holster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Tomazas

Does anyone using a drop leg holster for MP5K or PDW?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Tomazas wrote: »

Chopper_J does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

I use a Safariland 6004 lh on a dropleg to carry a Glock 17. works well, doesn't move about to much and thats while tearing around the place.

I can't fault the Safariland, so many thousands of professionals use them and they can't be wrong and thats good enough for me.

I've used others and found that they tend to flap around a bit which is no fun when your on the tear. Actually at the minute I'm considering moving from a dropleg to the traditional belt mounting.

iceage wrote: »
    I use a Safariland 6004 lh on a dropleg to carry a Glock 17. works well, doesn't move about to much and thats while tearing around the place.

I can't fault the Safariland, so many thousands of professionals use them and they can't be wrong and thats good enough for me.

I've used others and found that they tend to flap around a bit which is no fun when your on the tear. Actually at the minute I'm considering moving from a dropleg to the traditional belt mounting.

I'm not sure of there is a safariland that takes a P229 airsoft, the dimensions seem to be a bit off,
    I think I may as well get a molle holster...pity :(

• Advertisement

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Safariland-6004-SLS-Tactical-Drop-Leg-Holster-for-Lighted-Weapons-P111C200.aspx

Heres just one example. their defo. out there, a mate of mine uses one, and they defo are available for thr p229/p226 lh or rh.

They can be a bit pricey but they are the nuts. There is a plate also to attach Safarilands to a molle vest. Not sure where to find that though, you could alao keep an eye E bay, they pop up every now and again, and if your right handed they're that bit more popular. As I said earlier, I can't fault them.

I think I'll pick up a Viper molle pistol pouch and use that, It may work out cheaper than a safariland. It looks the business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Tomazas wrote: »
    I have a MP5K drop leg holster, so far in my experiance having it on the DLH is very heavy and restricting, when the gun is in the holster the clip can't be in the gun so it does add time taking out and loading. I just carry it now on a 1 point sling so I can throw it behind me, saves so much fuss.
    I also have a flecktarn pistol DLH and it works quite well tho I have to stress the fact of having a pistol lanyard fixed to you and the gun is a must. I have reworked the straps myself so when the gun pulls against the holster instead of the straps coming undone and the pistol falling out it now acts as a noose to hold the gun in more firmly but theres still a chance the gun will fall out. The lanyard prevents you loosing it :D

A lanyard is always a good idea, not just for if it falls from your holster(which it should'nt) but also in case you drop it!:eek: it happens, trust me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

ACU etc. are US camo schemes arent they (sorry I just cant be fecked with modern camo). As far as i know the M9 is the US service pistol of choice and that this is still contained in the m12 holster that was designated for service in 1984. I have one of these myself and have to say they are the best holster in the world as a bonus they are mountable on a specially made drop leg platform which fits to a load bearing belt. Are fully ambidextrous and your pistol aint gonna fall out of it.
    http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=M12
    man love bianchi.
    you can pick up genuine ex service ones on ebay I got a cathay version for less than ten euro.they will fit anything up to a glock 34 easily.

right now there is one on ebay for $19.99
    and the drop leg platform thumb break and mag pouch for $15.99

Advertisement