Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodworm in attic

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi, Just discovered some woodworm holes in my attic just around the access door, I've had a quick look over the rest of the attic and havn't found any more.
    Would it be sufficient to just treat the affected area and inspect the attic every so often or am I stuck treating the whole attic?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you are happy that you have found it all, then syringing each hole with an appropiate chemical will do the job. But given that your attic contains structural timbers it would be well worth doing the whole attic.

This may not be as bad as it sounds, as you may be able to purchase a fumigation bomb similar to the ones used in a greenhouse ect. Just light it and close the attic door. I assume the attic space we are talking about is the sealed attic area, not habitable. As the water tank is located in the attic, check with the supplier of the pest control chemical about its use in such an area.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

My understanding is that visible holes are exit holes, if I'm correct the problem is bigger than what you can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Its a worry alright, Just had some of my roof re-battened and felted as there was never any felt to start with, my house is over 60years old. I was checking through the old batten's and I was amazed no wood worm and the timber was still good.

Read somewhere that you should rub the holes over with a candle as the wood worm cant get through wax...I'd give the whole place a good going over again to be sure....Maybe get the pro's in....

Oh! Waves to Kadman, longtime no see post!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

2 stroke wrote: »
    My understanding is that visible holes are exit holes, if I'm correct the problem is bigger than what you can see.

Yes, I think they are exit holes. But woodworm tends to spread from one area rather than have isolated pockets of them.

I hadn't heard of fumigation bomb before, sounds like the right job for this.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

IMO - Your best bet would a chemical treatment such as Protim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement