Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Immobiliser Problem

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

hi, I am looking for advice about a problem with a 2005 Nissan primera 1.6. I had serviced the car previously about 2 weeks ago and there was an airbag light on. I used a Launch scan tool to read the trouble code which related to a problem with the loom under the passenger seat, so even though the code wasnt present I soldered the 2 wires to avoid it happening again. I cleared the code and then started the car which cut out straight away, and wont restart. The immobiliser is not letting the car start, just turn over. Its like the key had been deleted. Using the launch scan tool I checked for trouble codes in NATS and there was a code stored. I think it was P1614 but not certain, cant remember exactly and am not at the car this minute. I called a friend who used to work for Nissan and he said it sounded like the key needed to be programmed so tried to program using Launch and it failed. After failing it has gone into "lock mode" and this lock mode trouble code wont clear. I have tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and then attempt to clear the code but this didnt work. Does anyone know how to get around this lock mode or has anyone programmed keys using a Launch scan tool before? any advice or suggestions welcome. And before anyone says take it to a mechanic I am a mechanic and I was also with another and we are both stumped by how this has happened!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

firstly i disconnect athe wires under the seat that you soldered.had a similar problem a while a go with a car with an air bag fault that kept tripping the fuel inertia switch when you tried to start the car.wasnt told by owner theyd done a bit of rewiring might be worth a try as it was running before you did your rewiring might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Thanks for the reply

to be honest I cant see the wiring being the problem as I only done away with a block connector. It was a connector with a yellow/red going to brown, and yellow/green going to blue. I have just wired these like that as the connection is known for coming loose. also about the inertia switch, I was staying away from this side of things as there were codes showing in the Nissan Anti Theft System but may be worth a look. It is like the keys have been deleted as sometimes the NATS light flashes when you put the key in.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

It sounds like you have two separate issues, the car failing to start due to a NATS issue and the NATS locking after the attempt to code it.

The first issue could have been caused by low system voltage. NATS is very prone to this. It usually occurs on attempted cranking when the system voltage goes low. This is usually cured by either restoring the system voltage or doing a battery reset. It is highly unlikely that the key would loose its code.

The second issue, namely the lock up, was most likely caused by the Launch. Before you ever got to the coding stage it should have asked you to input a security code. It is also possible that low system voltage while coding could cause a lock up too. In general the Launch is very poor at coding whether it is a genuine one or one of the Chinese clones. Stable, healthy system voltage is vital for all coding.

The way forward. First I would try a battery reset with a fully charged battery. You will need to access live data in the NATS and check if the key is recognised or not.

ok so its possible that the original problem was caused by low voltage, then after cranking 4 times it has now gone into lock mode (p1610), that sound likely??

since we have tried to program keys with Launch, and it did ask us for the NATS code which we entered, and then failed, possibly due to lock mode, is it likely that these keys will now be deleted??

Or is it likely if I take it out off lock mode with a booster pack on the battery that all may be fine??

thanks again

Lucifer wrote: »
    ok so its possible that the original problem was caused by low voltage, Have you verified system voltage? then after cranking 4 times it has now gone into lock mode (p1610), that sound likely?? I assume that code was read from the engine. It just confirms the engine is not seeing a valid immo signal
    since we have tried to program keys with Launch, and it did ask us for the NATS code Where did you get the NATS code? which we entered, and then failed, possibly due to lock mode, is it likely that these keys will now be deleted?? Its possible. the answer to this lies in the live data. does NATS show a valid key?

Or is it likely if I take it out off lock mode with a booster pack on the battery that all may be fine?? Again, its possible. try it and see. It wont do any harm. In my opinion you would be better off with a tested, charged battery that a booster.
    thanks again

• Advertisement

I am not at the car now so cannot verify the system voltage but could have been low as the ign was on for a few mins while I was scanning for the airbag trouble code and then deleting it. It started for a second and cut out after all this and then would only crank after that. I tried cranking a few times. I read that cranking 4 times with an unknown key can put it in lock mode, if the voltage was low, would the system read the key as unknown and do this? The first code we got was P1614 and then we checked again and P1610 Lock mode appeared. When we were trying to program we used a 4 digit code that was on a sticker on the fuse box cover. I will try getting out of lock mode and see what happens with a good battery and see but wont be able to until I get over to the car.

Thanks

Kevin

The code you used was wrong too so you will need a valid code

Ok well this was the code a mechanic I know who used to work in Nissan said to use as the NATS code. Will I need to get the code from the dealer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I know after an airbag light reset and some other work in my dad's 02 primera that both keys needed to be recoded at a nissan dealership. Are you sure disconnecting the battery is enough, I know to do an ECU reset on most cars there are other steps involved after you reconnect the battery.

well at least its reassuring that this has happened to someone else with a primera and just needed the keys reset! Yes I understand it will not be a case of reconnect the battery and it will be fine, it will need to be taken out of lock mode which I found information about online. Is a sequence of ign on and off for 5 secs to get it out of lock mode. Then hopefully that maybe it or if not hopefully just reprogramme the keys with Consult II computer which I should be able to get my hands on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

P1610/P1614 P1610- Ignition key/engine control module malfunction
    P1614- Immobilizer control module coding plug communication-no signal.

Have you tried to unplug the wires where they plug into the keycoil. Transponder ecu. ( the black piece around the ignition key} clean the contacts with elec contact cleaner then cable tie it back into position.

Update on the situation, I had read online that to get the car out of lock mode I had to turn the ign on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs and repeat this twice, then try start the car. I tried this with the second key (which would not start it before) and the car started. I then tried the first key and this is now also starting the car. So problem solved. I still dont know why it wouldnt start when I first tried. I did not use a booster pack or anything so dont think it could of been low voltage as the battery would have less charge than when I first tried from cranking and using launch to read the codes etc.

Anyway problem is solved, and thanks to all who gave suggestions and ideas.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2 borckbank

I have Mistusbishi Charisma with P1610 this would crank but not start.
    I was told that this was not key problem but..
    The reset procedure turn the ign on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs and repeat this twice cleared the lock code and was able to start the car.
    I am taking the car to Mits dealer as I have had problem starting in the last few weeks. It would start and then just die. It then restarted and when reved cleared. So there is something more serious somewhere. I will update thread when I get the full diagnosis.

Thanks vey much for posting this

Advertisement